Hop Trials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Reaction score
Seeing as a lot of brewing is devoted to trying out new varieties of hops, I thought it might be good to comment on some of them. As a starting point, one of my very favourite English Cask beers is (strangely really an APA on cask) called Bishop's Farewell by Oakham Brewery. It's a simple recipe of Maris Otter low colour, a bit of wheat malt and loads of Cascade. I mention this because I use the basic recipe to try out other fragrant hops.
I recently picked up 100g each of NZH101 and NZH102 (now Superdelic) from BeerCo. I ottled the 101 last night ad the 102 is getting bottled tomorrow. 101- very nice indeed, can;t wait for this to carb up and be ready for a nice chilled one. A taster of the 102 is amazing- a bit like Nectaron, but not really. Haven't really tasted a hop like it. More report to follow when I'm drinking these from a glass, but if you're looking for something fresh and new, I can recommend both of these hops. I've already got another 400g of each in the fridge as I knew they'd be special when I opened the first packs.

Last edited:
Oh I love a bit of Oakham. I have brewed a BF- alike (the recipe I use is 92% Pale/8% Wheat Malt, bittered with Challenger and the Cascade layered at the end of the boil) but I keep coming back to their JHB which is similar but weaker and swapping the Cascade for Mt Hood.

Enjoy the trial results!

Oh I love a bit of Oakham. I have brewed a BF- alike (the recipe I use is 92% Pale/8% Wheat Malt, bittered with Challenger and the Cascade layered at the end of the boil) but I keep coming back to their JHB which is similar but weaker and swapping the Cascade for Mt Hood.

Enjoy the trial results!
Yep. That's the recipe alright.
Got sidetracked into knocking up a half-batch of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, too. I'd forgotten how much I love Cascade.

Latest posts

Back