Cascade Hops - What Commerical Beers Use It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rendo

WTF
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have searched and searched on AHB and the net, trying to find some commercial beers that either primarily use cascade or solely use cascade hops. I cant find any....

I believe the cascade premium lager from tassie uses hersbruckers, not cascade as I thought its name might suggest...

SO....does anyone know what beers can i get from the bottle-o that use cascade (preferrably solely). Want to get a feel for the taste before I start to brew with it.

rendo

Mountain Goat High tail Ale. Bitter with POR and aroma with Cascade.

If you can find Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, you are on the money. ED: also contains other hops (I think Magnum and Perle, but might just be clone ingredients)
Little Creatures Pale Ale has Chinook as well, but the flavour is pretty darn Cascadey

Dare I suggest an extract??

You can buy tiny teeny bottles of pure aroma extract from Craftbrewer - I think they would be a great way to give yourself an education about what different hops were like without guessing which one was in which commercial beer.

Buy a couple of styles of extract that you think you might like to use, dose up some neutral commercial beer and get a feel for how the individual hops work on your palate at different levels of intensity - then you can have a muck about with combining the flavours.

Mikkeller single hopped Cascade would probably be the best example. If you can't find locally we have it in stock mail order.

Cheers

Ross
CraftBrewer

Edit: .....or take Thirsty's advice ;)

Hi All,

Thanks for some beer names there, will see how I go finding them.

TB & Ross, what a great idea. I havent ordered from you yet Ross, but this is giving me a good excuse to do so :)

Hope to be checking out of craftbrewer very soon. (I am sure I will be like a kid in a candy store)

Rendo

Dare I suggest an extract??

You can buy tiny teeny bottles of pure aroma extract from Craftbrewer - I think they would be a great way to give yourself an education about what different hops were like without guessing which one was in which commercial beer.

Buy a couple of styles of extract that you think you might like to use, dose up some neutral commercial beer and get a feel for how the individual hops work on your palate at different levels of intensity - then you can have a muck about with combining the flavours.

Both but mainly Cascade by the sounds of it:

"Fat Yak is engineered in the Garage Brewery from natural ingredients, including premium malts, American Cascade hops and a hint of New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops. Enjoy any time of year."

i think Fat Yack is Cascade and Nelson Sauvin i think and it is fairly NS driven... which is fine by me.

Try Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale

Their website says:

Alpha Pale Ale derives its name from the alpha acids in hops which, added early in the boil, impart an distinctive bitterness. US grown Cascade hops, added late in the boil, contribute a wonderfully complex fruit and citrus aroma. Pale malts round off this beer with a fuller malt character.

I have had this on tap at the Newcastle Brewery a few times and its VERY cascade. Far better beer than LCPA in my opinion.

Wicked Elf Pale Ale is also a Cascade hop driven beer.
Available at Dan Murphy.

Hi, I second the motion of the Alpha Pale Ale, great beer for hops!

I thought Fat Yak was Nelson?

Yeah it's not a Cascade-only beer but Cascade is the main hop.

I was going to put that disclaimer on but I figure it's at least a better example than LCPA

You'll find that Mountain Goat Pale Ale's original recipe was straight Cascade. (Bittering and Aroma)
Now they use Pride Of Ringwood and Cascade though. D'oh!

Little Creatures Bright Ale uses Cascade & B Saaz.
Little Creatures Pale Ale uses US Cascade (Australian/NZ Cascade when US in short supply), East Kent Goldings & Chinook.
Alpha Pale uses lots of late Cascade.

White Rabbit tastes to me like it has the trademark Little Creatures Cascade flavour too. But no idea on that one.

Hopper.

If you can find the Little Creatures Singles Batch IPA it's 100% Cascade. Nice and easy to drink too. I've got a couple of pints left and seen it in a few bottle shops round Brisbane still.

Fat Yak is engineered in the Garage Brewery from natural ingredients, including premium malts, American Cascade hops and a hint of New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops.

Alpha Pale Ale derives its name from the alpha acids in hops which, added early in the boil, impart an distinctive bitterness. US grown Cascade hops, added late in the boil, contribute a wonderfully complex fruit and citrus aroma. Pale malts round off this beer with a fuller malt character.

Quick Question.
Is Matilda Bay CUB owned?
On their homepage Neil Wittam the "Beer Mechanic" is shown carrying a keg stamped with a CUB logo.

you will find a lot of american pale ales use cascade. my three favorite commercial beers all use good amounts of cascade; sierra nevada pale ale (usa), little creatures pale ale and matilda bay alpha pale ale. its by my favorite hop used in home brewing so far and its also fairly forgiving.

Latest posts

Back