Holgate ESB Recipe 2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wide eyed and legless

Reaction score
Trying to nail an exact clone is difficult, if not impossible, what I like about the Holgate ESB is it is a hop forward beer with a long lingering bitterness. My attempts in the past have been thwarted by the Tinseth scale and using the Brewers Friend program, so when I load the hops into the program I get the bitterness level, 'not according to style'. Initially I just thought well a brewery doesn't have to follow a style, but failed to venture to far out of the zone of IBU's.

I did put this article on AHB before in another post, well worth a read and the effort put in by another home brewer to get a bit closer to the actual IBU. I did Google the author of the article and he is an scientific field he also go help from Oregon State University, Glenn Tinseth, T. H. Shellhamer and others. I have been using the SMPH method but I either haven't been using the formula for IBU's or it is a little on the high side. Either way I find the results I am getting is far more satisfactory than the usual Tinseth IBU calculator. So if you feel you are missing something on the bitterness front don't be afraid to give this method a try. The second chart is really interesting where the actual measured IBU compares to the forecast IBU's

https://byo.com/article/ibu/
https://jphosom.github.io/alchemyoverlord/ibu_SMPH.html

I should have stated that the hops used in the Holgate ESB are Super Pride and if they aren't available Ella used for bittering and EKG for flavour. Also I have tried Monash Brew Lab if they would measure the IBU in my beer for me but even though they have a ultraviolet (UV) light spectrophotometric assay. They refused, doesn't make sense having forked out for the equipment and not wanting to get a return on it.

Latest posts

Back