Cascade Brew Wont Start

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FE2EK

Reaction score
:eek: Hi Guys. I am fairly new to home brew, have put down about 7 brews before. 6 ok lost one to bad cleaning method of bottles. I purchased my second cascade golden harvest, and followed directions, however i just used the yeast that came with it. There is only minimal fermentation signs showing and gravity is still 1040 after 3 days. Is this normal? I am worried that the yeast may be dead. I have a spare yeast, is it worthwhile trying that or am i being impatient. Temp is 24-25deg. Its just that every other brew i have done had shown signs by now.
Thanks guys

A bloke at work had the same trouble. I'm betting either the kit was out of date and therefore the yeast was no good or Cascade had a bad batch of yeast.

In the end his beer tasted pretty bad, so I'm betting he got an infection.

I don't hold much hope for your brew, but maybe try going to a home brew shop and get a quality yeast. Rehydrate it if it's a dry yeast, so it has the best chance of overcoming any nasties.

I went to my HBS today. They said yeast was probably dormant. I tried a safale yeast. Hopefully the brew will survive.

I went to my HBS today. They said yeast was probably dormant. I tried a safale yeast. Hopefully the brew will survive.

That's the bullshitting/polite way of saying it was dead either because it was out of date or because it had been stored improperly. I'd find a better shop.

MFS

:) With the second yeast used, the brew is bubbling away like normal now. Do you think the brew will ok or will the 3 days it was sitting have taken its toll. Cheers!

:) With the second yeast used, the brew is bubbling away like normal now. Do you think the brew will ok or will the 3 days it was sitting have taken its toll. Cheers!

It's 50:50. The little bit of activity you had may have been the original yeast struggling away and thus you probably won't have any nasty flavour. If, however, it was an infection causing the activity, the beer may be cactus. You will know when you taste out of the hydrometer in a few days.

:eek: Hi Guys. I am fairly new to home brew, have put down about 7 brews before. 6 ok lost one to bad cleaning method of bottles. I purchased my second cascade golden harvest, and followed directions, however i just used the yeast that came with it. There is only minimal fermentation signs showing and gravity is still 1040 after 3 days. Is this normal? I am worried that the yeast may be dead. I have a spare yeast, is it worthwhile trying that or am i being impatient. Temp is 24-25deg. Its just that every other brew i have done had shown signs by now.
Thanks guys

I'd fix up your temp control if I were you. Ales should be 18-22 for best results.

I'd fix up your temp control if I were you. Ales should be 18-22 for best results.

Thank you for that info. I moved it away from the hotwater service last night and that has dropped it down to about 22. Cheers

Thanks guys
Hi
I just started a Cascade Golden Harvest on Monday Night and was a bit worried that there was an Issue with the yeast.I have only made Coopers kits previously and they have fired up after a few hours but this has taken longer.The Cascade website mentions that Bohemian Yeast takes longer to start.
Im happy now that there is sufficient bubbling activity and some frothing so fingers crossed.
I used a coopers BH#1 with the supplied yeast and temp is 20deg and OG was 1047.

Good Luck

Marty

Its been bubbling away fine for a few days now. I hope it will be ok. I have got it side by side to a basic coopers draught. Its amazing how different they smell out the airlock. The coopers(coopers yeast) smells like beer???. The Cascade with the new yeast( i think Safale-blue packet) smells nearly like bubble gum. They are very different anyway, i am just hoping the yeast is supposed to be like this.

Hi All, Well after all the time, the beer in the fermenter smells like S?!T, so i have decided to tip it. I took a sample to the local HBS, he said it was the fusel alcohols or something along those lines, and it was not going to get better. I couldnt image cleaning 50 stubbies again, so out she goes.

If the beer is smelling of fusel alcohols, it generally means that it has been fermented to warm. Does it smell hot and solventy? Thats fusel alcohols. You really need to try and keep your fermenting beer below 22C, it definately makes the difference. Also in future, don't use the cascade kit yeasts, get a safale or danstar dry yeast. I've heard heaps of people have problems with the cascade yeast, its not worth your effort

Dave

Thanks guys

I have had much the same happen to me but with a Cascade Imperial Voyage Pale Ale. No activity after 3 days so I decided to add a Coopers yeast from another kit. When I opened the fermenter there was a thin layer of quite big bubbles on the top. I can't describe smells very well but when I sniffed it my head reared back in an instinctive reaction - it wasn't nice!. I stirred the brew and it began frothing madly so I quickly added the new yeast and it began bubbling nicely through the airlock. Next morning though it had stopped again so I took another look and with the smell so bad I tipped it - a big disappointment for me to have to do that. I had brewed a nice Cascade Porter before and had high hopes with this one. Now I'm a bit worried as I have another 3 Cascade kits to make a moment of weakness when on special in Coles).

I also have a Coopers Cerveza kit on the go and something weird happened after I pitched the yeast. Fermentation started quickly and the temp rocketed from 24 to 36 degrees with all the heat coming from the bottom of the fermenter. It was like the beer had a fever! It calmed down after a few hours and hopefully will make it!

Jim

I've used the cascade yeast a few times and it is usually much slower to start and finish then other dried yeasts, kit and premium.It can take up to several days to appear to be fermenting even at warm tempertatures, but I haven't had problems with infection. I wonder if it is a bit maligned due to the fact that it does not behave like most other yeasts and it is assumed to be not working.

so I took another look and with the smell so bad I tipped it -

Never tip it until you've tasted it. Sounded as if it was completely fine in the first place...even before adding the extra yeast. The "thin layer of quite big bubbles" is called the krausen and is a perfect sign that the brew is happily fermenting away. Im pretty sure the smell that rocked your head back was just the trapped Co2 that had built up in the headspace :(
Cheers
Steve

Never tip it until you've tasted it. Sounded as if it was completely fine in the first place...even before adding the extra yeast. The "thin layer of quite big bubbles" is called the krausen and is a perfect sign that the brew is happily fermenting away. Im pretty sure the smell that rocked your head back was just the trapped Co2 that had built up in the headspace :(
Cheers
Steve

You're right - I didn't actually taste it as it smelled so bad - a lesson learned for next time!

I had to smile at your avatar as I am wearing my Boddingtons top as its turned cold in Melbourne!

Thanks

I tipped mine because the smell was so off i just could not see it getting any better and i would have doubts ever time i had a stubbie. I was dissapointed in cascade, but have not given up hope. I have done a porter, spicy ghost and imperial voyage. Sampled porter tonight after a week in bottle(cant wait-sorry) it was fine and im sure will only improve with age. The others seem fine in the fermenters at this stage. I have added some crystal malt and cascade hops which seems to make a taste difference. I also piffed the can yeast this time around. Geoff

I have done a few cascades now and agree the yeast is chit. the first 2 i did smelt really bad outts the air lock using the kit yeast, but in the end were drinkable. the next 2 i used safale yeast and man what a diiference. smelt sweet outta the airlock, amd drinking it now outta the keg and man it tastes good. throw the cascade yeast.

I've had mixed results as well.
2 cascade kits (voyage and ghost) went terribly bad, with a sharp metallic taste and strong sulphur aroma. No improvement after 3 months in the bottle, so I dumped the lot.

Have since done a imperial harvest with cascade yeast, which was fine.
Have done the spicy ghost with a coopers yeast which is drinking really well.

End result for me is that I'm not that convinced with the cascade 'bohemian' yeast.
Will use safale with cascade kite from here on methinks.

f

Guys, I only ever did a few kits but I NEVER used the yeast that came in the can. I just thought it was common knowledge that you would always chuck out the can yeast, since good HBS proprietors generally recommend it anyway.

Fermentation is king in brewing, and you use crap yeast you get crap beer. If using dry yeast I'd always buy a fresh pack of a decent brand - they're not that expensive.

PS- don't use the 'lag' time as an indicator of the quality of your fermentation. A short lag time isn't always a good thing.

Latest posts

Back