Cascade Brew Wont Start

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere on here (im pretty sure) that someone used to chuck their kit yeast into the boil (as this will kill the yeast) to help give the better yeast something to feed on.

Just wondering if anyone else does this instead of just throwing the kit yeast out?

Well theres my anwser cascade pale ale put down 5 days ago SG 1040 today its 1032 so avoid this bohiemin yeast cause thats whats in the cans?

The Cascade home brews use a peculiar yeast that takes some time to start up. Have a look on their site, specifically their FAQ's for info.

EK.

G'day

Pretty new to this caper. Put my second brew down tonight, which is a Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter. The guy at my HBS said that he had seen all sorts of dramas with the Cascade yeast and sold me another satchet to pitch in as well as the Cascade yeast...was this a good idea?? Should I have just turfed the Cascade yeast and gone with what he sold me??

Guess I will find out pretty soon, but would be interested to hear anyone elses ideas on it.....

Cheers

Goofypants

What yeast did he sell you, and did he get it from a fridge, or was it just sitting in the shop?

Sponge

I knew someone was going to ask me that! I should have asked him what it was but he got it out of the lightning ridge....

I read somewhere on here (im pretty sure) that someone used to chuck their kit yeast into the boil (as this will kill the yeast) to help give the better yeast something to feed on.

Just wondering if anyone else does this instead of just throwing the kit yeast out?

Hey sponge I've read that is the case in the book "Brewing Crafts" by Mike Rodgers-Wilson. Can't find what page it was on, but am almost certain they mentioned it in the book that boiling yeast will cause it to explode. They also said the remains of that yeast is great nutrient for any other yeast to decide to ferment with. Not sure if its true though.

The also suggested saving the yeast and next time you get an identical yeast, use both of them in the one brew. Its not a bad beginners book for people who don't mind a bit of product placement IMO.

Should I have just turfed the Cascade yeast and gone with what he sold me??

Tha cascade yeast takes a while to start up so as long as the other yeast is a good one, it will probably get started first and do most of the job and produce the majority of the flavours. I don't think the cascade yeast will hurt the brew. I have used two different yeasts before, a safale which I couldn't remember how long I had and the cascade that came with the kit as a back up, no probs.

Back