Cardinal Pell's no show

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pell seems to consistently (ie: over a decade or 2) display a comprehensive lack of understanding or even awareness of the emotional aspects of sexual abuse.
Not just trying to downplay it in defense the church, but actually not comprehending the emotional elements/impact of these traumatic events.

Maybe I read too much into his many comments on these topics, but it seems a very consistent subtext to his official and casual comments.

The comment of his posted several posts above that abortion is a much greater sin than sexual abuse seems a good example of this. His use of sexual abuse as an completely unnecessary yardstick in reference to an unrelated question on abortion could indicate a distinct lack of comprehension of the impact of sexual abuse. As a one-off you wouldn't think much of it, but he's made other comments with similar subtext over the years.

Basically he seems to lack any fundamental understanding of emotions other than at an intellectual level.

technobabble66 said:
Pell seems to consistently (ie: over a decade or 2) display a comprehensive lack of understanding or even awareness of the emotional aspects of raping children.
Not just trying to downplay it in defense the church, but actually not comprehending the emotional elements/impact of these traumatic events.

Maybe I read too much into his many comments on these topics, but it seems a very consistent subtext to his official and casual comments.

The comment of his posted several posts above that abortion is a much greater sin than raping children seems a good example of this. His use of raping children as an completely unnecessary yardstick in reference to an unrelated question on abortion could indicate a distinct lack of comprehension of the impact of raping children. As a one-off you wouldn't think much of it, but he's made other comments with similar subtext over the years.

Basically he seems to lack any fundamental understanding of emotions other than at an intellectual level.
You see?
Resonates far more harshly when you give the offence its proper due rather using a term that could also describe pinching a lady's bottom.
Maby Pell needs some kind of euphemism filter on his e mail program.

Ducatiboy stu said:
He is what they term as a "Protected Species"

He has God on his side......
...or does he?
I can only tell that he has the backing of the church conspirators, so far.
Sorry, I just realised what you did there. Recanted, or maybe I don't recall.

technobabble66 said:
<chopped>

He has learned to disable emotions, and he knows that he can absolve himself, just like he's had to forgive a lot of other people's 'sins', over the years. He may have forgotten how to turn his emotions back on.

I can't for the life of me fathom how a religion where one can repent his sins on his deathbed and still be granted access to eternal life in Heaven, could possibly be responsible for any of these vile atrocities.

So, to clarify, the only people who should fear Hell is the non-believers who, in this enlightened age, aren't likely to start believing anytime soon.

Funny how we can detect billion year old gravitational ripples from far distant cataclysms yet we still can't resolve a worldwide rort that's occurring in our own society.

Dave70 said:
Fair go now. Don't forget the churches role in helping to stop the spread of HIV in places like sub Saharan Africa by encouraging the use of condoms and thus saving thousands of people from an agonizing lonely death.

Or was it the other way around?
FARKING NAILED IT.

Camo6 said:

So, to clarify, the only people who should fear Hell is the non-believers who, in this enlightened age, aren't likely to start believing anytime soon.
Except Pastafarians, where hell is a strip joint with a beer volcano.

As ACDC wrote.... "I'm on a highway to hell "

From the Catlickers news

Powered by Freefind

OPINION

FEATURE

FEATURED CATHOLIC WEBSITE

Pell calls abortion a greater crime than sex abuse

Sydney's Archbishop George Pell told pilgrims at World Youth Day in Toronto "abortion is a worse moral scandal than priests sexually abusing young people".

During a catechesis session before a group of 500 young people, Pell was asked by a youth minister from Kentucky what Catholics should say when asked about the sex abuse crisis in the US Catholic church.

When the youth minister sought clarification, the archbishop explained that abortion "is always a destruction of human life".

Dr Pell then insisted his comments were not designed to downplay sexual abuse; he was merely trying to point out that sex abuse by Catholic clergy had attracted attention to the detriment of other issues.

Archbishop Pell stressed that Christ promises punishment for those who stray from the church's teachings on premarital sex, abortion and euthanasia -- as well as on social justice and looking after the poor.

The archbishop received a standing ovation from his audience, but was strongly criticised by sex abuse victims rights groups. The Sydney Morning Herald quotes child protection advocate Hetty Johnston's assessment of the speech as "ghastly, insensitive and appalling".

LINKS

Ducatiboy stu said:
Pell calls abortion a greater crime than sex abuse

Sydney's Archbishop George Pell told pilgrims at World Youth Day in Toronto "abortion is a worse moral scandal than priests sexually abusing young people".
Perhaps I could just point out the obvious........the woman who decides to terminate her pregnancy, for whatever reason, isn't the person who stands in a pulpit each weekend sanctimoniously preaching on how people of all ages and marital status should, and should not, live their life. Nor is that lady the person who is entrusted to the precious young lives of children.....only to betray that poor child and their parents by abusing them.

That comment illustrates how absolutely out of touch some clergy are. If they understood the hideous crime their church has either been complicit in, or assisted by covering it up, then they would resign from their roles and seek immediate help.

They are trying to deflect by taking the moral high ground on women who often have guilt, shame and regret. Shame upon shame George Pell.

John 8:7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Your Honour,

The defendant has been so deeply involved in his faith and devotion to it, that it would not be unfair to say that he may not fully understand what others in this world are currently thinking or the mood of society in general. Your honour, The defendant has failed to keep up with modern society due to his pursuite of clergy and ecclesiastical learning., I mean look Your Honour...its not like he had sex with them or anything.....

CmdrRyekr said:
Who was the clown that offered to nab Christopher Skase from Mallorca and drag him home? We need this bloke on the case. I'll chip in a tenner or two!
Actually, makes me think what an amateur Pell is when comes to dodging pressing legal engagements. A doctors certificate? Pffft.. Pathetic. Nobody's buying that.

Skasie on the other hand, now there's a bloke who knew the value of theatrics when the chips (and Quintex share prices) were down.

*cough!*
OQ10skase.jpg

The only things missing in that picture are the 'White Shoes'

I was reading that almost as many females as men sexually abuse young boys and only 86% of those get reported.

Here's to you Mrs Robinson

Ducatiboy stu said:
...I wish more women would sexually abuse me....... :ph34r:
The fact that they don't there's probably a non to subtle message in there somewhere

Wobbly

Camo6 said:
I can't for the life of me fathom how a religion where one can repent his sins on his deathbed and still be granted access to eternal life in Heaven, could possibly be responsible for any of these vile atrocities.
That's how it works.
This life is only a place to wipe your feet before being cast on to an eternal life in heaven if you have faith. Belief is the only prerequisite.
There are no consequences for anything. You can do anything because you know you are going to Heaven.
As you say, you repent your sins on your deathbed and you are home and hosed.

These people are morally bankrupt.

That's how it works.
This life is only a place to wipe your feet before being cast on to an eternal life in heaven if you have faith. Belief is the only prerequisite.

Not according to a certain Christian authority - that is, Jesus.

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

I'm not sure where the whole idea that belief and/or deathbed repentance is a guarantee of salvation came from but my guess is a simplified evangelistic Christianity.

wide eyed and legless said:
The only things missing in that picture are the 'White Shoes'

I was reading that almost as many females as men sexually abuse young boys and only 86% of those get reported.
Sorry, 86% DON'T get reported, every schoolboys fantasy I would imagine, the ones that do get reported are either Pigs in knickers, sexually assaulted a girl or there is something gravely amiss with the boys.

Back