Carbonation Troubles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woostyle

Reaction score
HI Guys,

This last extract brew I decided to cold crash at about 4-5 degrees (as low as my fridge will go) for a few days before bottling. Took it straight outta the fridge to bottle and then back to the ferm fridge for 2 weeks @ 18 degrees. After 2 weeks I have opened up a few and there is almost no signs of carbonation, a very flat beer. I have also noticed that there is much lest yeast sediment at the bottom of the empties. Any ideas of what could cause this? This hasn't happened to me before and only main difference i have made in the process is cold crashing this time.

I am bottling in 750ml PET with Carb drops

Beer Fermented with US05 (1 pack rehydrated) for 14 days at 18degrees

Standard Pale Ale extract 12l Boil with an OG of 1056 and a FG of 1012

Thanks for the help,

JW

Give it time, cold crashing can reduce yeast in your bottled beer taking longer to carb up.
I assume you used 2 carb drops per bottle. If so the you shouldn't have a problem getting a good carb with time.

18 degrees is a bit low for carbonation. Leave them at room temps ~ 20 degrees and they will carb up nicely over about 4 weeks.

RDWHAHB

Give it at least another 2 weeks before worrying too much. 2 weeks is not long enough in my experience to bottle condition a beer.

Yeah I used 2 per bottles and from reading that's what I assumed, I just didn't think it would have that much of an impact!

Latest posts

Back