Calling Any Nasa Burner Owners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongo

Reaction score
Hi,

Tonight I got home to discover my NASA burner has arrived (the same ones that globe imports sells). I have been having some issues with putting it together . The bit that's giving me grief is pictured.

The arrow under "A" points to the burner. The arrow at "E" points to the hose from the gas bottle.

The configuration shown below is my best guess at how to put it together. I thought that the spring, big washer thing, and the nut all go on to the thread at "D", and the gas hose just screws directly into the thread at "E".
Is this right?

Thanks very much for your help here.

hp_burner.jpg

oh, and the things go onto the thread at "D" in the order shown.
That is. when doing this up, I would put the spring on first, then the washer thing ("B"), and then the nut (A), and then I would screw the whole assembly into the burner.

hi mongo
just checked my set up and its basically as you say.spring goes against valve then face plate.not sure of the nut as my two burners never came with these.the spring just keeps the plate against the main burner body which you can adjust air flow with.mine is set so it has maximum air flow through the body ports.at a guess i would imagine it goes nut spring face plate.

cheers
big d

against d would be a c b. can any one else add to the nut bit as mine wasnt included.so im guessing the nut is a bit of adjustment against the spring and face plate.

OK - thanks Big D, will do as you say.
Interesting that the nut is an added extra. It would be really good if these things came with instructions. It's a little bit nerve-wracking to muck around with them!

Thanks again - will post back if I blow myself up. :)

well as i say mongo my units never came with nuts so will be interested to see other peoples take on this.
the spring is only there to put a bit of pressure against the plate? that u can use to vary /limit the air flow to the burner with.my ports on the plate are fully open btw.
i just throttle gas flow via the burner valve or these days via the regulator.

cheers
big d

just had a crack at it then.
cranking up one of those things is a bit of an art. I kept blowing out my own flame. I've shelved it until tomorrow morning, as it's 11pm, and I have heard that these things make a bit of noise.
What a bummer.
Bring on tomorrow!

I did not get the nut either , must be a locknut.

As far as the B and C bit go , thats the spring and air flow plate....chuck'em , if your regulator can pump out enough pressure you need the extra air.
Try both ways of course , you will see they are a waste of time.

Batz

G'day mongo,

Yep same question,
mine arrived yesterday and the lock nut confused me a little because it seems to stop the face plate from being adjustable when done up tight.
Not that it matters because I think you are meant to have the air flow right open anyway.

I fired mine up this morning to burn some of the paint off and yes initially it kept going out 6 or 7 times until it finally stayed on.

I ran it for 20 min waiting for my neighbours to hurl abuse and throw things at me

You see "I am the only brewer in the village" :p :)

cheers

Batz said:
As far as the B and C bit go , thats the spring and air flow plate....chuck'em
[post="96716"][/post]​

Have to agree there. :beerbang: Particularly when you're trying to fashion a standoff pipe. Part "B" is a pain in the "A". <_<

Warren -

Thanks for the help on this.
In light of what everyone has said, I have decided to ditch the whole alphabet other than D.
I still can't get the bloody thing to get going properly. It's OK when at a low setting, and then I gradually ramp up the pressure, and the flame blows itself out well before anything impressive happens. Is there any secret to this?
It's possible that my gas is on the low side, but it seems that the problem is too much pressure killing the flame.
I don't know if these things normally ship with instructions, but mine didn't seem to have any, so I have no idea of there is any special techniques that I need to be using here.
Thanks.

Hi Mongo,
I have noticed with mine that it does go out occasionally if there is no kettle/pot on it.
Once there is one on there it stays on fine.
Hope that helps a bit.

johnno

Mongo, I believe that the burner you have is the exact replica from bayouclassicdepot.com in america. I have a borrowed turkey burner from america and a nasa bought out here. The main difference between these burners is the size of the injection hole that screws into the burner. The ones from america are marginally bigger. I am not a gas fitter but have sought advice from one regarding this. His recommendation was to drill the hole marginally bigger until you get the correct air to gas mixture, otherwise they will keep blowing out. He also said blow outs are seriously dangerous as your gas is still going without flame!!! i have done this and since then I have had no probs what so ever. You should probably not do this your self as you probably do not have the correct size bit to use. If you drill the hole to big you will get to much gas in the mix and get alot of yellow on the low flame so thats why i say marginally bigger hole. If he drills to big all he has to do is braze it back and drill again no harm no foul!

cheers

jj

It was frustrating for me because I knew how they were supposed to perform from the borrowed burner from america
You should be able to have the regulator screwed all the way down and the gas knob turned all the way out and not have blow outs!!!

WELL!
I just came back from a successful test! Thanks for the advice JJ - although I haven't drilled the hole bigger yet, it made me realise that the air/gas mix was not the best. So - I covered up the air holes and tried again. Success - but sooty. Funny thing is though, after burning for a while, I was eventually able to uncover the air holes, and have the thing going on full bore. Perhaps there was some crap in the line, or the hole expanded after getting hot?
I dunno, but I *do* know that I now love this burner, if for no other reason other than it sounds and looks cool!
Thanks for the assistance on this one. I am now a very satisfied pyromaniac.

PS - will look into drilling holes too, as it is a bit of a drama to get the flame up to speed. Will post back with results if people are interested.

mongo said:
WELL!
I just came back from a successful test! Thanks for the advice JJ - although I haven't drilled the hole bigger yet, it made me realise that the air/gas mix was not the best. So - I covered up the air holes and tried again. Success - but sooty. Funny thing is though, after burning for a while, I was eventually able to uncover the air holes, and have the thing going on full bore. Perhaps there was some crap in the line, or the hole expanded after getting hot?
I dunno, but I *do* know that I now love this burner, if for no other reason other than it sounds and looks cool!
Thanks for the assistance on this one. I am now a very satisfied pyromaniac.

PS - will look into drilling holes too, as it is a bit of a drama to get the flame up to speed. Will post back with results if people are interested.
[post="96804"][/post]​

Yes, post back results by all means, it will save me and others from the same dramas. Thanks mongo!

-Hopsta

Just to state how I used the above components (a-e)

I left the spring out of my burner and hooked up the components as B, A, D, E.

I used the nut as a locking nut, to secure part B and D to the burner so they didn't move when you turn the valve of part D.

Put the plate (B) on the burner, screw the nut (A) onto the valve unit (D) and then screw D into the burner. When your happy with it's position tighten the nut (A) back down so it locks against the plate (B). This stops the whole assembly rotating when you try to use the valve.

I didn't use the spring because I don't play with the air mixing plate.

FWIW I can blow my burner out too if I crank it up to 3BAR (~44psi) which I guess must be at the top end of it's possible working range. I never run it that flat out but it lights and burns well at all other settings.

Hope you can sort it out.

Cheers, Justin

Still unable to get my NASA to work, what configurations do other NASA owners have in respect to:
1. Regulator screw adjustment
2. Screw valve on burner
3. Air plate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

So, my nasa arrive today, and didn't even come with a control knob. <_<
It came pre-fitted with an elbow joint. I guess the knobs were getting too hot.
nasa.jpg

So, my nasa arrive today, and didn't even come with a control knob. <_<
It came pre-fitted with an elbow joint. I guess the knobs were getting too hot.

When I bought mine from Globe Imports it was just like yours so I bought a gas valve tap (edit: just like Part 'D/E' in Mongo's first post) to replace the elbow. You should be able to find something suitable from a bbq or camping store.

I also ditched the crappy breather plate and it runs much better, anyone else do the same? I did note Batz had the same [no little tin plate over the breather] in his last photo.

Latest posts

Back