Calling Any Nasa Burner Owners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an adjustable regulator you don't need a valve on the actual burner. I just control my burners power fully from the regulator. It has a nice range of control. So if yours doesn't have the valve I wouldn't worry about it.

Chad, I'm not that surprised that yours didn't have a valve, I suspect there are quite a few different manufacturers of the NASA burners and I also suspect there are quite a few models getting around with subtle differences.

Get that bad boy hooked up and give er a blast and see how it goes. Hope all goes well.

FWIW my tap on my burner doesn't seem to get very hot at all.

Cheers, JD

Same.

I can control my knob (snigger, snigger :D ) at any stage of the boil without gloves. Gets hot but not hot enough to be alarming.

Warren -

DSC00505.jpg

Same.

I can control my knob (snigger, snigger :D ) at any stage of the boil without gloves. Gets hot but not hot enough to be alarming.

Warren -

Warren & anyone else who has the same knob :lol: . Every few brews it might pay to ensure that the gland screw (The little screw behind the valve that seals the valve spindle) is tight. Opening the valve right up to the limit can, over a period of time, loosen the screw, resulting in flames shooting out through the valve spindle & giving you a nasty fright or even a nasty burn if you're standing too close. I don't use gloves either.

:beer:

Thanks for the knob info Pete. :lol:

To tell you the truth I rarely open mine flat-knackers (snigger again :ph34r: ). Slow and steady wins the race for this brewer. I usually just give it a 3/4 blast until I hit the boil and turn it down to get a steady rolling boil.

Warren -

Thanks for the knob info Pete.

To tell you the truth I rarely open mine flat-knackers (snigger again) Slow and steady wins the race for this brewer. I usually just give it a 3/4 blast until I hit the boil and turn it down to get a steady rolling boil.

Warren -

I've learnt my lesson Warren. I'll never have my valve hard on :ph34r: again. Nearly had kittens when the NASA turned into a flame-thrower.

:beer:

MIne doesnt have a knob, but I have used the breather plate to start it, and the knob on the regulator that I got to control the flame..

Used my Nasa burner for the first time today. Absolutely crapped my pants when flames started coming where the burner meets the hose.

Is there a way for me to set this up so I can have the valve on full, or should I just be thankful I'm still alive, and not open the valve fully when I'm trying to get a boil happening?

Still managed to get to boil in about 10-15 minutes, and had my first boilover!!!

The only time I've had flames out there is when there is a blockage in the jets and feeding it too much gas means it has nowhere else to go. I only experienced it after having a boilover and getting caramelised wort in the burner.
I'd unscrew it all and make sure there is not any foreign substances/material in the bottom of the unit.
Otherwise you could also further regulate the flow of gas using the gas bottle valve.

Doc

Used my Nasa burner for the first time today. Absolutely crapped my pants when flames started coming where the burner meets the hose.

Is there a way for me to set this up so I can have the valve on full, or should I just be thankful I'm still alive, and not open the valve fully when I'm trying to get a boil happening?

Still managed to get to boil in about 10-15 minutes, and had my first boilover!!!

Mika Lika had a similar problem and so we set our burners side by side. Turned out our burners were the same but our kettles were the difference. A keg with a chime on it has plenty of room for flame to go under and roll around. His large flat bottom pot left a pretty small space around the flame and when turned right up it bounce back out as you describe. We discussed raising the pot on the stand slightly so extra flame could sneak around the pot rather than back to the hose, dont know if that worked though.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Only problems though is as follows.

Doc - First time I'd used it...I'm assuming there were no blockages but I'll check tomorrow.

GL - My boiler is a keg so I don't think that's it, although is does have a bit of a "swelling" at the bottom. Kind of a "dip".

(It's a Coopers Keg, if that helps you get a mental picture).

In the end I'm not too worried, as I've figured out I can do what Warren does and just have it open 3/4 until I get to a boil. That's what I did today and it still only took 10-15 minutes. Maybe it's something to do with that breather thingy that it came with. (I think that's the technical tem for it!!!)

I had a similar problem, so I lowered the burner in the stand, only by about 30mm but it made a difference when using a flat bottomed pot. It also moved the breather plate from being trapped between the outer part of the stand and the burner, as in Chads pic.
Mine came with a steel braided hose which is well out of harms way.

Back