Markws Brew Stand Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys,

Apologies - i did not see the recent replies to the thread. Yes - it has been used for several batches including a decent crack at doing a Gryphon Cluster bomber (an excellent beer by Nev). It still feels like i am getting to know the system and appears to be returning higher efficiencies that expected esp against my previous set-up (esky styled mash tun. The 10 ring mongalian burner - is great for the mash tun, but would consider migrating to a larger burner for the boil - I haven't yet had a boil over however, it takes a longer time than expected to reach a slow rolling boil. Definately enjoy the electric HLT and the set-up seems to work well with double batches. I have not enjoyed the plate chiller and have migrated back to using an immersion chiller and re-circulating the wort. Definately the money spent on the gas system was worth it - to date it has been fault feel, easy to use and makes step mash too easy - highly recommend this aspect of the system to anyone. One thought i have had is setting up the mash tun to rotate (similar to the more beer system) to make life easier in removing the spent grain and would love self priming pumps. Lastly I shall in the near future possibly change the temp controllers - they work fine however they are not straight forward to be able to change the setting quickly - i prefer the mash master styled units (personally)

Hope this helps anyone building a similar system.

Cheers

Mark WS

Hi Guys,

Apologies - i did not see the recent replies to the thread. Yes - it has been used for several batches including a decent crack at doing a Gryphon Cluster bomber (an excellent beer by Nev). It still feels like i am getting to know the system and appears to be returning higher efficiencies that expected esp against my previous set-up (esky styled mash tun. The 10 ring mongalian burner - is great for the mash tun, but would consider migrating to a larger burner for the boil - I haven't yet had a boil over however, it takes a longer time than expected to reach a slow rolling boil. Definately enjoy the electric HLT and the set-up seems to work well with double batches. I have not enjoyed the plate chiller and have migrated back to using an immersion chiller and re-circulating the wort. Definately the money spent on the gas system was worth it - to date it has been fault feel, easy to use and makes step mash too easy - highly recommend this aspect of the system to anyone. One thought i have had is setting up the mash tun to rotate (similar to the more beer system) to make life easier in removing the spent grain and would love self priming pumps. Lastly I shall in the near future possibly change the temp controllers - they work fine however they are not straight forward to be able to change the setting quickly - i prefer the mash master styled units (personally)

Hope this helps anyone building a similar system.

Cheers

Mark WS
Ahhhh the Gryphon Cluster Bomber, that has me drooling :icon_drool2: I am going to do a mid strength of this one and even may be a light version, full coverage Cluster bombing.
If your pump is in the right spot you dont need self primer, mine moves around all over the joint, upside down , on its side. Trip over the thing all the time.
Four ring for the kettle with and adjustable reg will get you there.
Nev
GB

4 STC Brass closed gas solenoid valve 2W160 220v closed electrically opened.

Hi Mark and all,

I am new to this forum (an aussie homebrewer living in Norway sick of the less than optimal local beer they dish up) but I am investigating a Brutus 10 type set up and am wondering if there are any issues that you are aware of with using a solenoid valve not suited to flammable gasses (ref the STC valve you are using)? On the STC site it states for inert gas is ok but I am just trying to work out if there would be any safety issues with flammable gas or not.

Impressive rig by the way! Am going to copy quite a few design aspects! Well done.

Latest posts

Back