Cabcharge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah.

You did the right thing.

It is okay, okay?

grantb said:
Here's at least one story of someone's woes after being hit by a taxi driven by an unlicensed driver. It didn't take much effort to find. http://m.theage.com.au/national/its-fare-game-20090702-d6lq.html

In this case, it was only property damage. Now imagine the guy was killed, leaving behind 3 kids, a wife and a mortgage, and was the primary income earner. Wife hadn't worked for 12 years because she gave up work to raise the kids. The guy who owns the taxi is probably going to be liable, his public liability insurance is null and void and if he doesn't have the means to pay, no amount of compensation is going to matter. He can't pay it.

I don't subscribe to the notion that it's ok to lend your taxi to a mate.
Which bit says he was hit by an unlicensed driver?

You're right, it doesn't. It was linked from an article on unlicensed taxi drivers - http://m.theage.com.au/national/cab-drivers-untrained-unlicensed-20090702-d6lj.html . Anyway, good to see that's all you gleaned from that.

You linked an article that had no support for your argument whatsoever and you're suggesting I'm short on comprehension? There's not even any information suggesting the driver would somehow not be responsible if he injured someone which was your other point.
Your argument has no substance so far.

My point (singular) was that it's not ok to be "driving his friend's cab while his mate sleeps". There will likely be no insurance to cover compensation for any person or their family should they become victim of an accident involving another person at the wheel of any vehicle without a valid license. Supporting evidence may be lacking, but I'm not into reading law journals. I was asking a question about who would be liable, not trying to answer it. In any case, it was a rhetorical question. I don't expect it to be answered on this forum. I'd defer to a lawyer for that.

Until someone can confirm otherwise, I believe the driver will be liable. However, the driver quite possibly won't have the means to pay any compensation awarded. In the case that someone is left permanently incapacitated, at least the NDIS woukd hopefully provide enough financial support to allow some quality of life. If they're killed, ...

Your point is based on nothing concrete which is my point.
Of course it isn't 'ok' which is why it is illegal and improper. Whether you need to go and tell an authority about it is up to you but don't pretend you're doing anything other than ******* up someone else's livelihood.

The main cause I can see for being concerned with cab id is in the case of cab driver instigated assaults, particularly sexual assaults. Rare but they do happen.

And this is why we have a nanny state.

Soon, Fuhrer Newman will overthrow Abbot and introduce national laws requiring a license to walk to the shops, driving unlicensed might be OK.

Call me a heartless tight-arse, I woulda walked, and done the same thing.

Does this guy driving the cab have any insurance, is he even licensed, if we get in an accident who pays the medical bills when I'm hurt, I DO. Sorry struggling friend of real licensed cabby, you've just given me a free lift, thanks.

shaunous said:
we get in an accident who pays the medical bills when I'm hurt, I DO.
No, you fucken don't.

Who does then???

If his unlicensed and uninsured I pay. Trust me, im going through this shit right now.

Anyway its besides the point, his driving a cab and didn't show his correct license and snatched the fake one, see ya mate and thanx for the free lift.

Actually, he isnt bullshitting. There is even a newspaper articall about it.

I can asure you bum, you would not be saying it if you where in his position

Damn. I'm all outta popcorn. Hang ten fellas I'll be back in a jiff.

shaunous said:
Who does then???

If his unlicensed and uninsured I pay. Trust me, im going through this shit right now.

Anyway its besides the point, his driving a cab and didn't show his correct license and snatched the fake one, see ya mate and thanx for the free lift.
I can't imagine the legal shit fight you must be going through, hope it works out to your benefit.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Actually, he isnt bullshitting. There is even a newspaper articall about it.

I can asure you bum, you would not be saying it if you where in his position
I am not for one second suggesting that his situation is pleasant and wish him as successful a resolution as is possible but I strongly suspect that he was not the passenger of a dodgey cabbie. He cannot make a one-to-one comparison between his situation and the one he's describing. Because that is bullshit.

As for what I would say if I were in his position, I don't know his position but if it were even close to the one he describes in relation to the OP then I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be suggesting that doing a runner would be sufficient restitution.

Wouldn't the compulsory third party insurance pay the victim and then pursue the unlicensed driver? If the vehicle was unregistered it would be different.

bum said:
I am not for one second suggesting that his situation is pleasant and wish him as successful a resolution as is possible but I strongly suspect that he was not the passenger of a dodgey cabbie. He cannot make a one-to-one comparison between his situation and the one he's describing. Because that is bullshit.

As for what I would say if I were in his position, I don't know his position but if it were even close to the one he describes in relation to the OP then I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be suggesting that doing a runner would be sufficient restitution.
You should run for PM.

Ducatiboy stu said:
You should run for PM.
I'm not backtracking. I think perhaps my intention may be misunderstood by people who knew Shaunous' situation. I know nothing of it other than what has been mentioned here and most certainly wish him the best with that.

I cant see how you can stick up for a guy who is using someone elses ID to drive a cab.

Would you complain about the Gun Shop Owner if I lent my gun license to a mate and he never sold him a gun or some ammo because its not him in the picture, its the same shit bum, its fraud. You cant just guess the driver is working around the clock to feed his starving family and borrowing or stealing a cab driver ticket is a means to buying his poor kids some food. Guilty until proven innocent.

bradsbrew said:
Wouldn't the compulsory third party insurance pay the victim and then pursue the unlicensed driver? If the vehicle was unregistered it would be different.
Yeh, that's probably right in the example I used, my bad.

bum said:
I'm not backtracking. I think perhaps my intention may be misunderstood by people who knew Shaunous' situation. I know nothing of it other than what has been mentioned here and most certainly wish him the best with that.
I knew your intention, I just don't see how you could come to it, for reasons stated above. Its illegal.

Latest posts

Back