Cabcharge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to start out by saying that my point (such as it is) is closely aligned with what Brad said but I am fairly inebriated right now and also had no idea there was serious and related issues on your part. Differences in both situations (drunkness and awareness) whould have changed my wording.

shaunous said:
Guilty until proven innocent.
Not entirely sure what you're getting at here but can't think of many situations where I'd agree with it as it reads.

I'm not saying that illegal cabbies are A-okay. I'm just saying that their dodgey-ness probably shouldn't give everyone the right to not pay for the same service they thought they were getting initially (in a ride without incident, as per OP).

I'm not saying that illegal cabbies are A-okay. I'm just saying that their dodgey-ness probably shouldn't give everyone the right to not pay for the same service they thought they were getting initially (in a ride without incident, as per OP).

Had hoped this thread was dead and buried...

The crux of the OP's (yes, that's me) situation was this. The guy made me really damn angry by preventing me from taking a photo of the ID that was sitting on the dash by snatching it away. I had intended to use that photo to raise a complaint about the additional charge AFTER I'd paid, but he simply refused to put it back for me to record details, even after threatening to walk. So, i walked.

And here's the context. At the end of the trip, I pulled out my keycard to pay and upon doing so, was told it was going to be 10% more than the figure he'd already given me. Since i'm usually quite cynical by nature, coupled with the fact my significant other had pointed out the photo ID was a different person to the man that was driving, and it was the first time i'd ever encountered this 10% eftpos fee, I disputed it. Initially, I thought he was trying to sting me for credit card charge. That's the point I took my phone out to take a photo of the ID, so I could raise it after the fact.

Stupid, I know. It's not the first time I've done something stupid in anger, and i'm sure it won't be the last. A day of drinking probably impaired my judgement somewhat too, but this obviously never happens to the majority of people.

Hahaha, I wouldn't have paid him shit, I always used to tip cabbies because unless your the owner, its shit work, I never catch them anymore, but if one was taking the piss, or not the actual guy licensed to drive me around, well fuk him, i'd take $50 off him for being dodgy, lets just agree to disagree with each other.

In regards to the 3rd party insurance, because they would blame the unlicensed driver, meaning their car(insurance) is NOT at fault, if this unlicensed driver didn't have assests, money or anything, well you wouldn't get bugger all off anyone.

I got run over by some drunk kunt, then another car while I was knocked out from the first one, 15 weeks ago, hit and run, never found the original driver and now im off work until im fit to return, which as a heavy diesel fitter might be another couple of months or more yet (Started walking last week), unpaid of coarse. Because that original drunk hit and run driver was never found, well there is no insurance to put my case to, so im being passed around like a filthy bikie whore. Im not trying to play the sympathy card here, im just stating the dodgy Illegal cabbie wouldn't get my $$$.

Im now having a filthy can of Bundy Rum in honour of you Bum :D

Sorry to hear and I'm sure you've exhausted every opportunity but TAC no good?

grantb said:
Had hoped this thread was dead and buried...

The crux of the OP's (yes, that's me) situation was this. The guy made me really damn angry by preventing me from taking a photo of the ID that was sitting on the dash by snatching it away. I had intended to use that photo to raise a complaint about the additional charge AFTER I'd paid, but he simply refused to put it back for me to record details, even after threatening to walk. So, i walked.

And here's the context. At the end of the trip, I pulled out my keycard to pay and upon doing so, was told it was going to be 10% more than the figure he'd already given me. Since i'm usually quite cynical by nature, coupled with the fact my significant other had pointed out the photo ID was a different person to the man that was driving, and it was the first time i'd ever encountered this 10% eftpos fee, I disputed it. Initially, I thought he was trying to sting me for credit card charge. That's the point I took my phone out to take a photo of the ID, so I could raise it after the fact.

Stupid, I know. It's not the first time I've done something stupid in anger, and i'm sure it won't be the last. A day of drinking probably impaired my judgement somewhat too, but this obviously never happens to the majority of people.
He was correct in charging you the extra 10%, that's been around a few years in cabs if paying by card. If you and your missus weren't just hammered and it wasn't actually the guy in the picture well maybe taking the cab number and making a complaint would have helped to charge/fine him, and then paying the money for the cab fare to the company after, probably the nice correct model citizen thing to do.

I used to catch a cab from BNE airport to Beenleigh and back very regularly for work, some occasions the pricks would fall to sleep on the highway and send the car scooting across lanes of traffic nearly killing us both, upon getting to my house i'd never pay them the full fare, fuk em, I never once got a visit from WhiteCabs about it, so they knew they were in the wrong. Wasn't even my money, work paid for it, was the principal of driving when you shouldn't be.

shaunous said:
Im now having a filthy can of Bundy Rum in honour of you Bum :D
After everything you've been through, you deserve much more than that.

I wish you the speediest of recoveries and I hope the system gets its shit together to sort you out as best it can as quickly as possible. I also sincerely hope my posts have not added to your woes in even the most insignificant of ways.

manticle said:
Sorry to hear and I'm sure you've exhausted every opportunity but TAC no good?
Was in NSW Man-Tickles. They have just now picked me a 'random default' insurance company to claim my medicals against, I recently got a letter in the mail saying they will take 3 months to decide if I was at fault or the drunk driver who come off the road and hit me, in the meantime I have to pay for EVERYTHING, as its a motor vehicle accident as such, everything has to be paid, its not like injurying yourself an dgoing to hospital, once a car and a public road is involved its a whole other ball game.

And for whoever wants to see me looking sexy in a wheel chair :blink:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hitandrun-victim-struck-twice-20130826-2skh8.html
http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/future-dreams-on-hold/2029641/

bum said:
After everything you've been through, you deserve much more than that.

I wish you the speediest of recoveries and I hope the system gets its shit together to sort you out as best it can as quickly as possible. I also sincerely hope my posts have not added to your woes in even the most insignificant of ways.
No harm Bum, I laugh about it now, if I didn't i'd go mental. All good mate.

I got run over by some drunk kunt, then another car while I was knocked out from the first one, 15 weeks ago, hit and run, never found the original driver and now im off work until im fit to return, which as a heavy diesel fitter might be another couple of months or more yet (Started walking last week), unpaid of coarse. Because that original drunk hit and run driver was never found, well there is no insurance to put my case to, so im being passed around like a filthy bikie whore. Im not trying to play the sympathy card here, im just stating the dodgy Illegal cabbie wouldn't get my $$$.

Speedy recovery to you mate, and I hope they catch up with the driver soon. That's fucked.

Massive. Completely incomparable to the OP but I hope you recover fully and I hope the driver of the first vehicle gets sprung at some point.

Even if he was pissed, it's such a prick of a thing to leave someone for dead. Might as well take aim and reverse over someone, morally/ethically speaking.

grantb said:
Speedy recovery to you mate, and I hope they catch up with the driver soon. That's fucked.
Cop called me on a Saturday morning coupla weeks ago, after not even introducing himself and me confused who the fuk I was talking to for the first 3minutes, he told me they have closed the case as they have no info come forward. Love these guys :angry:

Anyway, another Black Rat (Rum Can) anyone???

manticle said:
Massive. Completely incomparable to the OP but I hope you recover fully and I hope the driver of the first vehicle gets sprung at some point.

Even if he was pissed, it's such a prick of a thing to leave someone for dead. Might as well take aim and reverse over someone, morally/ethically speaking.
Ha, true, worst part was the prick had to reverse and then drive around me, witnesses seen him do that, but no one bothered to look at the number plates as they didn't see me get hit, and thought he just run into something else.

On a lighter note, it reminds me of the construction site safety training video I saw last week. Many workplace accidents (pick in the skull, star picket in the chest, electrical shock etc) but my favourite was the bloke who walked into the path of a reversing forklift without looking. Must have been shown in the vid about 11 times but the driver hit the pedestrian and then just kept driving over the victim. Skull = pumpkin.

'Take that dickhead. That'll teach you to wear ya safety vest ya fuckin stupid prick'.

I occasionally drive a forklift at work and I know if I felt any impact whatsoever, my foot would hit the brake pronto.

Obviously in no way meant to suggest that should have happened to you. I hate dangerous arseholes behind the wheel very passionately. Might as well give them a machine gun.

Having known someone whose head was run over by the back wheel of a taxi, apparently thats exactly what its like. Pop. (I wasn't there but plenty of other people saw it happen)

Shit man, that is very fucked. At least your attitude is positive, probably how you can get through it. I know they might've contacted you but if not, victim liaison officer at the station might refer you to the right people for a compensation claim of all your expenses for being a victim of crime. Especially as there were witnesses the cops must've been able to at least charge and prosecute the unknown defendant for the crime.

Bloody rough deal,sad to hear about it.
Playing plod here,am guessing no description of the car ?.
I googled Roberts Rd and it runs through suburbia,so maybe the prick lives in the area?
Unless he/she was using Roberts Rd as a short cut between Rushton Rd and Bent St.
Also if any damage was done to the car,any bits broken off etc ,then maybe some mates could have a look around the area and hopefully spot the car.
Would be nice to catch the mongrel and run em up the nearest flagpole by their testicles/tits.

Just saying, ....cheers..spog :)

Im not sure how much effort the cops put in, if there phone call was anything to go by, then Sweet FA. The only real reason I done the news article was for that reason, just to alert smash repairers, scrappies and the general public, im 105kg and 2m tall, whoever the fuk hit me would have been driving a sad looking car after it. Only real marks left were skid marks going up the gutter, no broken pieces or anything.

I like the hanging up by the testes idea, my 1st cousin is in the Bandito's MC and they wanted to hell me track him down, but I declined their offer, didn't want to be apart of any of that action or owe them anything.

One day some idiot will tell the wrong person something.

Back