Cabcharge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantb

Reaction score
So I was heading to the airport from a pub in Sydney. When we get there, the taxi guy bumps on some extras, but doesn't update the meter to reflect those extras. He then goes on to say that because I'm paying eftpos, there's an additional 10% surcharge. In a bill that's already $50, I consider that a bit steep. I also believe eftpos is considered cash, so I'm highly skeptical now. He also doesn't look like his photo, so when I whip out my camera to take snap, he snatches the ID away and refuses to let me photograph it. Argument ensues, I tell him he's full of Shit, tell the missus to get out and we walk without paying him a cent. Now, I don't know about you guys, but I've heard the "dumb Aussie" line one too many times. So, did I do the right thing, or was I an ass for robbing the guy of a half hour wages?

You did the wrong thing and robbed him, dickhead.

Yes cabcharge add 10% to the bill - they supply and maintain the eftpos machines. They've been investigated for anticompetitive behaviour - the driver doesn't see one cent of it.

Sure, so why did he snatch away his ID and prevent me raising a valid dispute? Prior to doing that, I was perfectly willing to pay. As soon as he did that, I decided he was doing sonething illegal.

I feel zero guilt. Him snatching away his ID speaks volumes to me. But, thanks for your constructive input. Dickhead.

Nothing to do with the Cabcharge issue. He was clearly working on someone else's ID. Industry is absolutely rife with it.

You stole the fare.

Ok. So now I do feel kinda guilty, but I maintain that this was self inflicted. He was so aggressive in snatching away his ID, I wasn't prepared to support his cause with no recourse. I work in the payments industry and am aware that eftpos carries no additional charge, which is why I was skeptical in the first place. If you've got nothing to hide, don't act guilty by trying to hide it.

Face it man, you effectively did a runner.
He kept his job, you kept your money, everyone wins. Except him, his life sucks.

OK, I concede. Seems I was a shitty human being today. No consolation to the cab driver, obviously. 10% it is.

I was under the impression that employing an eftpos device incurred a percentage of all sales as rental. So it's free to the customer but not the retailer. This is going off an enquiry I made a few years ago however, so it may have changed.

Like Bum mentioned, the system's rife with unregistered drivers using someone else's ID, all striving to make a dollar. Guess there's not that many aussies "dumb enough" to do the job for the money and risks it offers.

You may have been a bit harsh it seems, but who hasn't had a dodgey taxi driver before. I swear there's a "pissed and talking crap" surcharge.

If he was operating under a fake ID or using some one else,s then **** him .he was breaking the law.
You should have reported him,you ave not said if you have been reported for fare evasion which could ? explain his actions regarding the I D issue. ...cheers....spog....

Well, I'm certainly not a model citizen or a princess. If something looks dodgy, I'm calling them on it. In any case, seems the charges were legit (arguably extortive), although the driver may not have been. Karma got me in the end - we were stuck on the tarmac for 2 hours. Sorry guy.

If he was operating under a fake ID or using some one else,s then **** him .he was breaking the law.
You should have reported him,you ave not said if you have been reported for fare evasion which could ? explain his actions regarding the I D issue. ...cheers....spog....

You're breaking the English language.

The taxi industry is a nasty piece of work. If I get the opportunity I try to avoid its foibles and help the driver, but it is a rare thing.

Country cabbies are alright. I always found country cabbies a lot better. But then again I live in the country

Ducatiboy stu said:
Country cabbies are alright. I always found country cabbies a lot better. But then again I live in the country
I remember the taxi driver in Goondoowindi giving us a discount out to the property we were working on because we shared some of our pizza with him. I wonder if they still do 20" pizza's out there, one of the best pizzas I ever had.

I once had a cab driver tell me he would have to drop me off at the gateway/airport roundabout (before the upgrade) if I didn't have cash because his cab charge was down. I told him not a problem, only to produce an empty wallet when I got home $90 later. It was like a miracle from god when his cab charge machine worked all of a sudden, first go. Was an Aussie driver too.
Had an Indian driver pick me up from the airport just on dusk and as we were driving along airport way seen him fiddling with all the controls on the dash, he asked if I minded him making a call on his phone, I said not a problem. A few yabadaba bot bot's later he hangs up before telling me he had to call a friend to ask how to turn the headlights on. I replied with, I can show you where the hazard lights are if you like, luckily he liked my humour and it was a fun trip home listening to his music.

bum said:
2013, bro.
Get off your high horse Bum.
I first heard that term from a couple of Indians I play winter cricket with, you know the guys that have moved to Australia and love to take the piss out of themselves and their mates over a few beers after a game. Actually learnt a bit about their culture because I was interested and asked questions. In fact I am insulted that you jumped to that conclusion, just shows how your mind works. Don't have to justify myself but I have helped quite a few international student in pathways to Australian quals, but that a whole different subject.

bradsbrew said:
Get off your high horse Bum.
I first heard that term from a couple of Indians I play winter cricket with, you know the guys that have moved to Australia and love to take the piss out of themselves and their mates over a few beers after a game. Actually learnt a bit about their culture because I was interested and asked questions. In fact I am insulted that you jumped to that conclusion, just shows how your mind works. Don't have to justify myself but I have helped quite a few international student in pathways to Australian quals, but that a whole different subject.
None of that stops you having portrayed Indians a wobble-headed idiots.

Yeah. You did. Thousand pardons, sir. Golly-gosh-gum!

bum said:
None of that stops you having portrayed Indians a wobble-headed idiots.

Yeah. You did. Thousand pardons, sir. Golly-gosh-gum!
Only in your mind, which to me speaks volumes.

If it was a story about an Irishman and I said " a few to be sures later" would you be carrying on about that, well I doubt it. Which indicates you may just be a bit racist big fella.

Latest posts

Back