Bunnings Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a square one here as a bottling bucket but I reckon the round ones would lose less beer tilting it to fill the last bottle or two.

Nice to see them advertising as "for homebrewing" - the measurement scale always seemed to be designed for brewers.

TheWiggman said:
Do the blue ones impart any plastic flavour that anyone's found? My recent purchase below.
Not that I've found.

Any one have any tips on cleaning plastic drums have a bit of krausen stuck on them I just can't seem to reach

motch02 said:
Any one have any tips on cleaning plastic drums have a bit of krausen stuck on them I just can't seem to reach
Uncooked rice in, seal up with cleaning solution in and shake it to buggery.

Or fill with just cold water and a quarter cup of pure sodium Percarbonate and leave overnight. This FV looked like a Mumbai dunny yesterday.

Clean fv.jpg

Just a bit of bleach and fill with water, leave for a few hours.

I was using bleach and cold water but I have found that a half scoop of Di San topped up with water works better and when rinsed doesn't have that film that bleach leaves.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Uncooked rice in, seal up with cleaning solution in and shake it to buggery.
Sounds like a great way to make small scratches for bacteria to hide in

peas_and_corn said:
Sounds like a great way to make small scratches for bacteria to hide in
To be honest, I've never needed to do this, my arms are long enough to reach in with a sponge and clean my FVs. motch seems to be unable to reach in like with a cube. I was simply passing on a frequented suggestion that is passed on by many well respected AHB members (obviously not me) with the rice gig, so unsure if it would scratch, I really doubt it unless you have arms like Lex Luger.

Lex%20Luger.jpg

haha it's basically a 20L coolant drum I can get them for free so have about 4 on a rotation but two are in need of a good clean

motch02 said:
The easiest and fastest way to clean any fermenter or cube is with about two litres of hot caustic or sodium Percarbonate. Just roll the fermenter or shake the cube with the lid on loose for about 30 seconds/1 minute and leave it about 10 then rinse. Caustic is best but sodium Percarbonate less hazardous.

I usually cask my beer and clean my fermenter while I’m brewing (during the mash or boil) so can scoop out a jar of fresh yeast for the next batch without messing about with starters.

Just a bit of napisan mixed with water is easy and cheap. (Is that sodium percarbonate based?)

stm said:
Just a bit of napisan mixed with water is easy and cheap. (Is that sodium percarbonate based?)
Yes but far less concentrated (5% w/w versus 100%)

Perc is CHEAP! might as well but the perc and use that for clothes than the other way around!

stm said:
Yes its sodium percarbonate based, you can use it with a couple litres hot water also. Saves a lot of water compared to filling the fermenter up with cold water and you don’t need to soak over night.

Aldi di San oxy (purple) is 34% sodium percarbonate and is like $3.50

I got ~12kg of PBW for less than $20 in the Sodium Perc / Met bulk buy (mixed ratio 4:1).... it usually goes down once a year (Yob?)

There are 'other' ingredients in the washing cleaners to have a nice scent on your clothes etc. They are not as food grade so make sure you rinse the buggery out of them if using instead of 100% pure perc!

EDIT: BB reference http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75213-2013-sodium-perc-met-bb-melbourne/

Latest posts

Back