Brisbane Brewpubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grod5

Reaction score
Off to Brissy soon and was wondering if there are any pubs that should be on the "must visit list" in the city. Oh and Thai or Indian restaurants too.

Thanks

daniel

A short list these days.
Platform bar - Grand Central Hotel (central railway station) - good range of tap & bottled stuff.
International Hotel Spring Hill (just out of the CBD) brew pub , ok/ish beers- cheap food & beer on weekend.
Belgian Beer Cafe - usual stuff.
German Club Woolloongabba - worth the trip over the river - good range of German beers tap & bottled, foods pretty good.
Thats about it.
I really hope the developer who kicked the brewhouse out of its digs has crashed and burned :angry:

Until about ten years ago Brisbane was an Indian restaurant desert "don't eat that dirty Asian stuff" but have been catching up of late. Quite a few "standard" Indian Places around like the Sitar chain but they are quite Westernised with the usual Chicken Madras / Butter Chicken / Beef Vindaloo menu plus a couple of compulsory Pappadums.

If you want something authentic and nothing like the regular restaurants, there's a lunchtime only Indian Place in Fortitude Valley in the arcade behind McDonalds where the Indians actually eat. It's called "Indian Catering and Sweets". Not the one in the food court round the corner which is crap. They serve only Vedic food from South India including dosas (giant pancake type things). As far as the meals go you order a small, medium or large. The large is about ten bucks. They give you a metal army/prison style tray with compartments and dole out a heap of Biryani style rice, plus a big scoop of whatever three curries they have going at the time, and a couple of chappatis or a Naan. If you manage to finish the large you are a mighty man. Most of the clientelle eat everything with their right hand so they don't have utensils but you can get a little plastic spoon/fork. If you can find Maccas you'll be right. It's opposite the tattoo place and they don't speak much English so just point at the menu on the counter.

If you have transport there is an excellent Gujerati restaurant at Boondall, about ten K from town up Sandgate Road called "Maharani". They do have butter chicken for the timid but they do the most delicious food drenched in ginger, coconut cream etc. It's a grotty looking little joint but food Nirvana.

Maybe someone else can recommend somewhere in the CBD, haven't found one as yet but don't go there much as I actually work in Fortitude Valley. There's a popular Thai place up the Chinatown Mall in the Valley, always busy. Don't go Thai food personally.

Isnt there one in Albert or George st in the CBD. I cant remember the name. Was that the Brewhouse? If it was now Im Pi*&^% as Im going to be staying near where it was and was looking forward to many a night there.

Cheers BDB

If you want something authentic and nothing like the regular restaurants, there's a lunchtime only Indian Place in Fortitude Valley in the arcade behind McDonalds where the Indians actually eat. It's called "Indian Catering and Sweets". Not the one in the food court round the corner which is crap. They serve only Vedic food from South India including dosas (giant pancake type things). As far as the meals go you order a small, medium or large. The large is about ten bucks. They give you a metal army/prison style tray with compartments and dole out a heap of Biryani style rice, plus a big scoop of whatever three curries they have going at the time, and a couple of chappatis or a Naan. If you manage to finish the large you are a mighty man. Most of the clientelle eat everything with their right hand so they don't have utensils but you can get a little plastic spoon/fork. If you can find Maccas you'll be right. It's opposite the tattoo place and they don't speak much English so just point at the menu on the counter.

Man, I love that Indian joint - I can wholeheartedly agree with BribieG! The dosas are amazing and better than most of the muck you get around the traps. Essential to the gourmand in everyone. :super:

Isnt there one in Albert or George st in the CBD. I cant remember the name. Was that the Brewhouse? If it was now Im Pi*&^% as Im going to be staying near where it was and was looking forward to many a night there.

Cheers BDB

Yep that was the brewhouse :angry:

If you have transport there is an excellent Gujerati restaurant at Boondall, about ten K from town up Sandgate Road called "Maharani". They do have butter chicken for the timid but they do the most delicious food drenched in ginger, coconut cream etc. It's a grotty looking little joint but food Nirvana.

+1 for the Maharani

+1 for us blokes doing one of the better thread hi-jacks! :lol:

Reporting in after the Brisbane adventure.

Platform Bar was a winner. After first going to the wrong Bar at Central Station and cursing those that suggested the place (4 taps of XXXX) I went next door to the bar with heaps. 2x Tasting Paddles and a couple of nice bottles I am sure to return. The 2 young blokes behind the bar were cheerful, entheustasic and appeared to know their stuff.

West End restauraunts were good "Saka something Thai and the Punjabi Indian were good and not too expensive.

I will return to Brisbane for another getaway and hope I will find some more treasures.

Thanks for the help guys.

daniel

You obviously wandered into the Whistle Stop Bar, usually full of socially, financially and hygeinically challenged people muttering to themselves and twitching <_< . Keep your bag close to your body. I've never tried the other one as I rarely go to Central, will give it a go next time.

now that really pisses me off as I'm due in Brissy in about 3 weeks and was REALLY looking forward to heading back there after trying it out 2 years ago.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I really hope the developer who kicked the brewhouse out of its digs has crashed and burned :angry:

You obviously wandered into the Whistle Stop Bar, usually full of socially, financially and hygeinically challenged people muttering to themselves and twitching <_< . Keep your bag close to your body. I've never tried the other one as I rarely go to Central, will give it a go next time.

And what do they do for a living BribieG ? The "financially and hygienically challenged people" I mean?

Batz

And what do they do for a living BribieG ? The "financially and hygienically challenged people" I mean?

Batz

Sell drugs so they can create social, financial and hygienically challenge friends to talk fast, be paranoid and twich with.

Batz

Not sure, when I last went in there about four years ago I was a very mature age student at QUT and used to pop in for a XXXX on the way home from lectures at strange times and there were always an assortment of rather lost looking souls in old Vinnies clothes, some hanging round the TAB skychannel screens or sitting nursing a pot whilst muttering to themselves like you often find in pubs during the day (including probably yours truly with my backpack and yes I used to shop at Vinnies, being a single dad) and you could say that the clientelle at the whistle stop were not anything like the snappy x and y gen suits in the city pubs at lunchtime.

In February I was in Sydney photographing terrace houses (my other hobby) and called into the Bank Hotel next door to Newtown Railway Station on King street and had a couple of schooners of Reschs and played ten bucks on the Queen of the Nile pokie machine, glanced around, and thought "sh*t the guys from the Whistle stop have followed me down here :D :D "

Stopped by the Grand Central Hotel today. Pretty decent place to drop by for a brew, but nothing that's hard to find elsewhere on their taps. Brissie is definitely lacking in places to go for a micro brew. Time to draw up a business plan me thinks... B)

Stopped by the Grand Central Hotel today. Pretty decent place to drop by for a brew, but nothing that's hard to find elsewhere on their taps. Brissie is definitely lacking in places to go for a micro brew. Time to draw up a business plan me thinks... B)

When I was there in August they had Sunshine Coast Summer Ale in the main bar and Duke Hefeweizen & Mt Brewery Moderation Pale Ale in Platform Bar.
They didn't have any QLD micros on?

When I was there in August they had Sunshine Coast Summer Ale in the main bar and Duke Hefeweizen & Mt Brewery Moderation Pale Ale in Platform Bar.

Called in at the Rubber Stamp (Just uphill from the Grand Central main bar) several weeks ago on my way home from CraftBrewer --- No affiliation, etc, etc. :lol:
Sampled a very nice Belgian Wit (Hoegarrden), a couple of IPA's :icon_drool2: (Forget the name but from Matilda Bay Brewery), a couple of Dogbolters from the same place & a Pale Ale from ??? Just enough to keep my bladder bulging nicely during the 90 minute trip home in the train. :D

TP :beer:

Ahh just realised I didn't go into the Platform Bar silly me, thanks mate I'll check it out on Saturday and see what's on offer.

As mentioned, it is such a pity about the Brewhouse in Brisbane, they had some excellent beers, I hope it reappears somewhere else.

As mentioned, it is such a pity about the Brewhouse in Brisbane, they had some excellent beers, I hope it reappears somewhere else.

I'm still pissed off about that. I do hope they do find another venue in the city, but in the mean time... what did they do with all the beer???

The last time I was at the Platform they had a range of James Squires and a range of Matilda Bays. I do like the Alpha Pale Ale...

Back