Brisbane Brewpubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
several thousand liters at the brewery, chilled and delicious. in hibernation, waiting for the new venue.
on the bright side the doppelbock will have a bit of age on it when we re-open

apparently the bosses have given an expression of interest in the old post office at sangate...

several thousand liters at the brewery, chilled and delicious. in hibernation, waiting for the new venue.

apparently the bosses have given an expression of interest in the old post office at sangate...

Absolutely Awesome

Absolutely Awesome
No.... not awesome :angry: Sandgate is nowhere near my workplace! If they move to Sandgate, then I certainly won't be drinking there anytime soon.

- Snow

Drove past the Old Post Office not two hours ago showing the Sydney Rellies round the Bayside suburbs. I note that it's currently sporting a for sale sign and is in the middle of a building site (Arts or Cultural centre or something?) with temporary fencing all round and lots of guys in orange helmets etc so no time soon unfortunately.

However in the Northern Times it was suggested that it would go great as a bistro - bar type of premises. Can see it now "Brews by the Bay" or "Beers by the Bay" Remember where you heard it first :p

Better there than Wynnum Manly :ph34r:

Seriously though it's a pity that the CBD has become overpriced for such businesses, but I could picture it in South Bris or West End. But not the Valley unless they can gay theme it :huh:

Seriously though it's a pity that the CBD has become overpriced for such businesses, but I could picture it in South Bris or West End. But not the Valley unless they can gay theme it :huh:

Yes you would get a funny look telling your friends that you were heading off to the BEAT to try some belgians. Plenty of Pils at the Wickham :lol:

Yes you would get a funny look telling your friends that you were heading off to the BEAT to try some belgians. Plenty of Pils at the Wickham :lol:

Thanks for the heads up, I was posting a letter on Wickham Street at the Valley Post Office and was going to pop over the side street to get a Heineken on tap then noticed that the outdoor 'forecourt' drinking area was jam packed with young guys and changed my mind.

Hope it goes well there (Campbell will probably have his name on a chair), but I'd prefered you lot at the Brook :p

apparently the bids are up above the budget already, still on the lookout for a venue

Damm... Since I and my wife now work north of the city its likely we'll be moving in that direction... but you're out-priced in Sandgate already...

well, wherever and whenever, it will be nice tasting some aged Dopplebock & Engine Pale...

apparently the bids are up above the budget already, still on the lookout for a venue

Brendan,

I've got 10 taps down here that haven't had a work out in months :)

+++

......the old rogues nite club has been closed for ages....nice & close to me as well...

Cheers Ross

Brendan,
I've got 10 taps down here that haven't had a work out in months :)
......the old rogues nite club has been closed for ages....nice & close to me as well...
Cheers Ross

Only one thing for it Ross, you have to install a micro in that old niteclub, you could even punch out your own range of wort kit!
I can see it now "Craftbrewer releases a Craft Brew!"

James

Until about ten years ago Brisbane was an Indian restaurant desert "don't eat that dirty Asian stuff" but have been catching up of late. Quite a few "standard" Indian Places around like the Sitar chain but they are quite Westernised with the usual Chicken Madras / Butter Chicken / Beef Vindaloo menu plus a couple of compulsory Pappadums.

If you want something authentic and nothing like the regular restaurants, there's a lunchtime only Indian Place in Fortitude Valley in the arcade behind McDonalds where the Indians actually eat. It's called "Indian Catering and Sweets". Not the one in the food court round the corner which is crap. They serve only Vedic food from South India including dosas (giant pancake type things). As far as the meals go you order a small, medium or large. The large is about ten bucks. They give you a metal army/prison style tray with compartments and dole out a heap of Biryani style rice, plus a big scoop of whatever three curries they have going at the time, and a couple of chappatis or a Naan. If you manage to finish the large you are a mighty man. Most of the clientelle eat everything with their right hand so they don't have utensils but you can get a little plastic spoon/fork. If you can find Maccas you'll be right. It's opposite the tattoo place and they don't speak much English so just point at the menu on the counter.

If you have transport there is an excellent Gujerati restaurant at Boondall, about ten K from town up Sandgate Road called "Maharani". They do have butter chicken for the timid but they do the most delicious food drenched in ginger, coconut cream etc. It's a grotty looking little joint but food Nirvana.

Maybe someone else can recommend somewhere in the CBD, haven't found one as yet but don't go there much as I actually work in Fortitude Valley. There's a popular Thai place up the Chinatown Mall in the Valley, always busy. Don't go Thai food personally.

+1 for this place it is awesome. They do dosa (those crazy big indian pancakes) and a naan you would kill for. Off topic I know but i got excited and am suddenly hungry..............

Only one thing for it Ross, you have to install a micro in that old niteclub, you could even punch out your own range of wort kit!
I can see it now "Craftbrewer releases a Craft Brew!"

James

Hi James, you might be closer to the mark than you think! Ross recently contacted me for some advice in building a large-scale HB setup with a view to producing wort kits! You'd have to think it would logically go hand in hand with a micro. Stay tuned I guess!

+1 for this place it is awesome. They do dosa (those crazy big indian pancakes) and a naan you would kill for. Off topic I know but i got excited and am suddenly hungry..............
Actually it's on topic for the original post because OP wanted Indian and Thai as well as beer. Actually they had the no.2 menu on Sunday with the plain rice, the mixed veg curry and the chickpeas but I far prefer the no.1 menu with those chewy soybean dumplings in sweet curry sauce and the creamy coconut drenched cubes of curd cheese accompanied by piles of pilau rice with vegies and cashews, a serve of dal on the side, and that Naan. :icon_drool2:

Not a chicken madras or a vindaloo in sight, thank goodness :rolleyes:

Oh and I'd drive from Bribie to pick up some FWKs any day.

Hi James, you might be closer to the mark than you think! Ross recently contacted me for some advice in building a large-scale HB setup with a view to producing wort kits! You'd have to think it would logically go hand in hand with a micro. Stay tuned I guess!

TD
What is the difference between a large-scale HB setup like your one (thanks for the pics, I have "shed envy") & a micro capable of brewing for both FWK's & making beers for commercial purposes?
There is Stone & Wood at Byron & someone said there was another going in in the same area. Is there any hope for the Banjo-players north of the Tweed getting another micro brewery Craft Brewery any time in the future?
I guess they can dream.
James

I reckon there are areas of Brisbane where a new micro would really take off, for example West End / South Brisbane. Until just a few years ago the 'restaurant and bar' areas were the city and Fortitude Valley (Chinatown). In Sydney that would more or less equate with CBD / Haymarket (Chinatown) but nowhere else.

There was not really anywhere resembling such thriving areas of Sydney as Bondi, Newtown (King Street), Paddington/Darlinghurst/Surry Hills/Kings Cross. So unless you were going out for a chinese or just clubbing, every day there would be a mass exodus from the central areas to the suburbs and the whole place would just about shut down. I remember 20 years ago getting off a train from Sydney on a Sunday Morning and not being able to find a coffee anywhere withing walking distance of the station.

Nowadays there are heaps of 'precincts' like West End, Eagle Street, Milton, Southbank etc and It's a shame we don't have any entrepreneurs with a few dollars to set up. That's why it was such a crying shame about the Brew House.

There was a micro set up at Bulimba, Oxford street but as 'precincts' go it's a fairly out of the way and small area so it didn't attract enough trade and closed down about 18 months ago as well. A few years ago a brewpub set up near the Gabba but it was resumed when the Mater Hospital expanded and never resurfaced.

Here's hoping. :icon_cheers:

We will be back, better than ever. just a matter of finding the right premises, it seems unlikely there will be anything appropriate available till at least after Christmas.

Cheers, Brendan

TD
What is the difference between a large-scale HB setup like your one (thanks for the pics, I have "shed envy") & a micro capable of brewing for both FWK's & making beers for commercial purposes?
There is Stone & Wood at Byron & someone said there was another going in in the same area. Is there any hope for the Banjo-players north of the Tweed getting another micro brewery Craft Brewery any time in the future?
I guess they can dream.
James

Hi James,

I suppose there are very few differences, particularly the way we homebrewers are building our systems these days. I can't see any reason why you couldn't turn a large-scale setup like my one into a commercial brewery. In fact I tentatively looked into it and that's the conclusion I came to. In fact when you see setups like that used at the Happy Goblin Brewery, it just goes to show you don't need a purpose built system to get the job done!

As I said, it was very interesting to see Ross inquiring about larger breweries. Although I'm not sure what conclusion he came to regarding the wort kit production or even a possible foray into commercial brewing.

Ross, have you got any updates on this? :)

As I said, it was very interesting to see Ross inquiring about larger breweries. Although I'm not sure what conclusion he came to regarding the wort kit production or even a possible foray into commercial brewing.

Ross, have you got any updates on this? :)

T.D. Keeping things close to my chest at the moment ....but yes we do have brewing projects in the pipeline.

As they say......watch this space :)

Cheers Ross

Back