Brisbane Brewpubs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the Full Moon cafe at sandgate they had 2 Murray's Beer, BB Duke's range, All jame squire, Little creatures, fat yak on tap and a few others. No a bad range and a good view.

Went to the Full Moon cafe at sandgate they had 2 Murray's Beer, BB Duke's range, All jame squire, Little creatures, fat yak on tap and a few others. No a bad range and a good view.

I had dinner there a few weeks ago. The Full Moon Hotel is owned by the same people that own the Grand Central, and they offer a cut-down version of the beer list on offer at the Platform Bar. It is a decent selection of beers, but I'm not sure how many really exotic beers they offer (compared with the Platform Bar at least).

They have a menu that is pretty solid but not spectacular, although there are a lot of different seafood options available. Be prepared to pay a bit more than a classy pub price for most mains. The setting looking out over the bay though is pretty good...

I'm going to be in town from this Sunday, the 26th through until Friday. From the sounds of the recommendations I'm going to be at the Platform most nights and or lunch times.

Aaron, if you have some free time & want a trip up to Tamborine to visit the breweries there, just let me know.

cheers Ross

Hey, might be up there on Sunday doing a recce in depth, depends on the ANZAC day aftermath.

Hey, might be up there on Sunday doing a recce in depth, depends on the ANZAC day aftermath.

Wonderful idea Winkle, I suspect a MT recovery could be in order... just need to figure out how tob talk SWMBO to drive? :ph34r:

Second thoughts have a wonderful time...

Aaron, if you have some free time & want a trip up to Tamborine to visit the breweries there, just let me know.

Thanks for the offer but don't think I will have time on this trip. Lots of work to do at strange hours unfortunately. If you are up for a beer in town during the week though.

The Belverdere (same group as the Full Moon, Grand Central etc) at Woody Point (Redcliffe) has currently got Barons Hop Mother on tap - very tasty and apparently getting close to empty. Not a bad selection behind the bar and on tap - a touch pricey though, the craft beer bar is near the central steak burning area, nice views, relaxed place. Rumour is that a Sunshine Coast Brewery beer, Summer Ale?, will take its place.

The Brisbane Brewing Co. will open its doors to the public for the first time on saturday the 30th of May!
Come down for a $10 sticky-beak, brekky and a beer (or 2)!
Between 10am and 12pm, then kick on to the Breakfast Creek Hotel for the Great Intercontinental Pub Crawl!
address is 6 Park st Albion.

Cheers, Brendan

Nice BChan - so you've finally got a permanent bar set up???

Loved your beers at the Brewhouse, shame that you had to leave, such a kick-arse location!

Cheers

No permanent bar as of yet, but the brewery is operational. The new bar is in the works, not sure of a timeline yet, but hopefully not too much longer!
Engine is now named Walker Pale Ale, and will be on tap on saturday ^_^

Sounds good... Will attempt to pop in sometime in the next month or two when I'm down!

Cheers

The brewery opening on saturday is a one off for the time being. We're hoping to build a small retail store at the brewery in the future, maybe just open on brew-days, allow the public to see inside and try a few samples.
A fair while off yet though, I'll keep you all posted!

Cheers, Brendan

Forgive my ignorance, but is the lack of Brissie brew pubs due to a lack of demand, or red tape, or brewers not understanding the demographic? Or is it more deep seated, more culturally engrained, (sure, there many English V8 enthusiasts, but they go to English pubs...), or a lack of awareness, or is the hard working Aussie proud of his 'tradition' (definition) of Aussie pub demography...
Maybe it's the climate - however some southern Europeans seem satisfied with appalling refreshment... maybe the English are just a bunch of drunk wankers that'd drink anywhere...

Is it feasible for us internet warriors to start something...? I'm sure we can rustle up some nice beer(s), we just need the right settings, the right people, the right attitude and the courage to nudge 200 years of soggy indifference...

Maybe it's because you don't live in terraced houses and work down mines... (OK, I know some do... :rolleyes: but hey, there's better pubs there, innit?)

Gastropub anyone?

Forgive my ignorance, but is the lack of Brissie brew pubs due to a lack of demand, or red tape, or brewers not understanding the demographic? Or is it more deep seated, more culturally engrained, (sure, there many English V8 enthusiasts, but they go to English pubs...), or a lack of awareness, or is the hard working Aussie proud of his 'tradition' (definition) of Aussie pub demography...
Maybe it's the climate - however some southern Europeans seem satisfied with appalling refreshment... maybe the English are just a bunch of drunk wankers that'd drink anywhere...

Is it feasible for us internet warriors to start something...? I'm sure we can rustle up some nice beer(s), we just need the right settings, the right people, the right attitude and the courage to nudge 200 years of soggy indifference...

Maybe it's because you don't live in terraced houses and work down mines... (OK, I know some do... :rolleyes: but hey, there's better pubs there, innit?)

Gastropub anyone?
All sorts of reasons I think.
Licensing is one. We don't have the same licensing laws as other states such as the so called small bar laws that make the process a little easier.
The big boys have a bigger hold on the pubs up here through cheaper tap deals etc.
QLDers have been traditionally even more loyal to 'their' brands...2 out of every 3 beers sold in QLD is XXXX Gold (or some horrible figure like that...)
Don't forget that for all we on this site may love it craft beer still only represents about 5% of the market, if that, in Australia, so you aren't talking about a big segment to make money on.
Keep supporting places like Grand Central, the new Brewhouse and the Mount Tamborine breweries, and things will change but we will be waiting a little bit here in Brisbane...

10AM to noon eh? I'd love to, but I'll be moving furniture because the carpet cleaner will be by the house at 12:30. So it looks like I miss out. :(

...Good luck with the new site b_chan, have'nt met you yet but i met Grant and Michelle(?) in Melbourne at AIBA, lovely people, hope it all goes well for you guys....

Scott
SCB

Gastropub anyone?

Actually hundreds of thousands of Australians live in Victorian and Edwardian Terraced houses (including good old back lanes for access of nightsoil carts for collection of shyte from the previous outdoor toilets) but not in Brisbane as a result of the Prevention of Undue Subdivision of Land Act of 1884, but if you go on a tour you will find suburb after suburb in Sydney and Melbourne that look not unlike Salford. One of my weird hobbies: photos attached. The invention of the car and the bus enabled the population to move out to new suburbs of semi detached and then later the modern Australian detached 'bungalow' after the First World War.

There have been several attempts at brewpubs in Brisbane but have all failed, probably because of the duopoly of XXXX and Carlton with no home grown alternatives to educate local palates, such as James Squire in Sydney, Little Creatures in Perth etc etc.

terrace_1.JPGterrace_2.JPG[attachment=2759
2:terrace_3.JPG]

Attachments

• terrace_3.JPG
    terrace_3.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 22
Back