Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While waiting for my element to arrive I decided to make a cover for between the malt pipe & pot to use while pouring in the grain. I had an old pool noodle lying around taking up space so I cut it down to size and glued the ends together.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Looks cool! I've found its not that much of an issue in practice. Your malt pipe looks a really good size! What pot sizes are you using?

Can I ask some questions please?

Does the top filter sainless plate been to be made out of 2 - 3mm perf plate, can something be fabricated fairly simplly i.e. simple tools no lathes/mills or lasers.

Has anybody tried a comercial filter bag say 400 micron?

Atb. Aamcle

aamcle said:
Can I ask some questions please?

Does the top filter sainless plate been to be made out of 2 - 3mm perf plate, can something be fabricated fairly simplly i.e. simple tools no lathes/mills or lasers.

Has anybody tried a comercial filter bag say 400 micron?

Atb. Aamcle
I got an offcut of 1.2mm ss perforated plate from a fabrication company for the plates and cut to shape with an angle grinder. The filter mesh I picked up from a scrapyard & cut to shape easily with my dear old late dad's 60 yo tin snips. The inserts to stop the plates bending is 10mm square ss bar & cost me aprox $70 AU dollars (proper money to the rest of the world at the moment) for the material & having it rolled to shape. I've still got to clean it all up as it looks a bit grubby at the moment & the pics aren't the best as they're just screenshots from my dash cam. Hope this might give you some ideas. Never underestimate the value of the project topic, neighbors with specialty tools are usually very interested & kind enough to help out if you ask nicely. Mine actually took the centre rod to his work & had the fitters thread the ends and also drill the 10mm ss bar for me.

Scrapyards are great for cheap material compared to fabrication shops, I got 1200mm x 25mm x 10mm ss bar for only $5 so check them out first. You'll also find some are very friendly and happy to let you poke around in the bins if you approach them well. Some won't even let you in the yard so don't be put off if you get a few knock backs.

FP a.jpg FP b.jpg FP c.jpg

:beer:

Dunno if this is crossposting, but I'm abandoning my brau clone project. All the bits are for sale in the trading forum.

Edak said:
I have finally decided that I would get the H03797 from Thermal Products in Thomastown. It's about $138 in GST, 2400W and will be bent to my specification. The other crowd (TEE) wanted to charge me about $170 plus an additional $35 to pick up an element from them and that's highway robbery.

The one I am picking up is made of incoloy 800 so will be perfectly suited for wort.
Hi Edak
I just got a quote back from thermal products in Thomastown and they are asking 210+ gst for the element above
Is there anything special u asked for ?
They want $100 to bend it for me ?
Are the elements hard to bend ?

Cheers
Tate

That doesn't sound right, unless you are getting some very different elements to the ones I purchased or there was a very big increase since I purchased mine.
I purchased two 3000W elements from them in August and they were $102+GST each for bendable elements.
They bent the ends free of charge at 90degrees to get them through the bottom of the kettle and I bent the rest myself. I bought the 2600mm long element as I wanted to have really low heat density but I would have thought if anything these should have been dearer than the shorter variety or the 2400W elements.
Part number H03798

Cheers

Roller

That doesn't sound right, unless you are getting some very different elements to the ones I purchased or there was a very big increase since I purchased mine.
I purchased two 3000W elements from them in August and they were $102+GST each for bendable elements.
They bent the ends free of charge at 90degrees to get them through the bottom of the kettle and I bent the rest myself. I bought the 2600mm long element as I wanted to have really low heat density but I would have thought if anything these should have been dearer than the shorter variety or the 2400W elements.
Part number H03798

Cheers

Roller

Yeah that's what I thought maybe I will ask them just to bend the ends 90 degrees
Did the elements also come with the bushes ?
Thanks roller

tateg said:
Hi Edak
I just got a quote back from thermal products in Thomastown and they are asking 210+ gst for the element above
Is there anything special u asked for ?
They want $100 to bend it for me ?
Are the elements hard to bend ?

Cheers
Tate
Get in touch with Romar Elements directly, they do all the custom work for Thermal Products. You'll save a lot.

The 2400w one I got bent up fro my keggle based Brau-clone cost about $120.

tateg said:
Yeah that's what I thought maybe I will ask them just to bend the ends 90 degrees
Did the elements also come with the bushes ?
Thanks roller
Yes, they have all the mounting kit at both ends of the element. Note that mine were the 2600mm 3000Watt elements so you would need 15Amp power and your normal power point would not suffice.

Regards

Roland

I just called and asked for the price, they bent the ends free of charge even if they stuffed up the bend measurements.

Thanks pat
The one I was looking at is 03797 which is the biggest I could go on 10a plug

Next question, anyone got any tips on cutting 2mm stainless ?

Thanks

I just called and asked for the price, they bent the ends free of charge even if they stuffed up the bend measurements.

Thanks Edak
Maybe I will try again, what height did you get yours bent at ? As I notice I am using the same chef land pot
Cheers tate

I wanted one to be bent at about 20mm and the other at 50mm but both were bent at the same length. Worked out in the end. My best bit of advice for your build would be to make neat holes in your pot and remember to re passivate the stainless after any scratches.

Back