Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get in touch with Romar Elements directly, they do all the custom work for Thermal Products. You'll save a lot.

The 2400w one I got bent up fro my keggle based Brau-clone cost about $120.

Yep romar is the place to go
120+gst which includes being bent in to shape for me, rob there was super helpful

True I guess
Any ideas on a strait walled 25l pot in melbs?
Was hoping to put the temp probe under the bottom filer plate or has every one just put them out side the pipe ?
Cheers

tateg said:
Was hoping to put the temp probe under the bottom filer plate or has every one just put them out side the pipe ?
Cheers
If you use a ss pot for the malt pipe & cut the bottom out, the temperature probe will be in the way of the bottom filter plate unless your using big pots & mount your filter plate on legs.

Cheers

If you use a ss pot for the malt pipe & cut the bottom out, the temperature probe will be in the way of the bottom filter plate unless your using big pots & mount your filter plate on legs.

Cheers

Yeah that's y I was planing on a 25l pot cut flush at the bottom then using bolt heads on the inside to hold the bottom plate up by about 60mm that way there would still be about 19 - 20 liters between the filters and enough room to have the temp probe underneath.
Thoughts

I own a BM so I have no plans to build one, however if I was to build a clone I would consider buying a 23 litre "chineese" keg ( the short squat ones) that some home brew shops stock and use that for a malt pipe. they are quite solid and could take some welding or drilling without to many problems and they are bigger than a 19 litre pot from big W etc. but they will cost you a fair bit more. Once you have cut the top and the bottom out of them you could go your hardest with building a good malt pipe.

Just thinkin"

I own a BM so I have no plans to build one, however if I was to build a clone I would consider buying a 23 litre "chineese" keg ( the short squat ones) that some home brew shops stock and use that for a malt pipe. they are quite solid and could take some welding or drilling without to many problems and they are bigger than a 19 litre pot from big W etc. but they will cost you a fair bit more. Once you have cut the top and the bottom out of them you could go your hardest with building a good malt pipe.

Just thinkin"

Thanks dicko I haven't seen these around, any hints on which LHSB has them ?
Do you use the 20l BM ?

Cheers

tateg said:
Yeah that's y I was planing on a 25l pot cut flush at the bottom then using bolt heads on the inside to hold the bottom plate up by about 60mm that way there would still be about 19 - 20 liters between the filters and enough room to have the temp probe underneath.
Thoughts
This is the probe I have its about 50mm high inside the pot so you'd be okay with one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ipg=25&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=sureelectronics&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=%09+3m+Digital+Thermal+Tank+Sensor+Horizontal+-+DS18B20+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

tateg said:
Thanks dicko I haven't seen these around, any hints on which LHSB has them ?
Do you use the 20l BM ?

Cheers
You may have to phone around as I have done a quick search and havent seen any on the current suppliers sites.. Ring Brewmaker at Holden Hill in Adelaide.. that is where I got mine and he may be able to steer you in the right direction.. they may have been discontinued but if you could get a second hand one they would make a great malt pipe in my opinion.

the other side of the coin is; the BM filter plates are available from G&G, you could probably also get the malt pipe ordered in. Even with the costs of these purchases I'd say you'd be well ahead on the cost of an entire BM. Obviously there are warranty advantages purchasing the genuine article, the advantages of using what people have built here are various, and depending on your skill set could even be extended to wireless control and so forth.
The cost of a 20lt BM is around the $2500 mark at most places, with that in mind, I think the short and long malt pipes for the 50, with two filter plates and seals, the rest of the kit built in a 100lt pot would be well under $2000. These items are the most discussed throughout this thread, and probably the part most have trouble with, do it right do it once and so forth.

my 2c

I thought about that and would be happy to buy the 20 litre malt pipe and filters but I don't think that you can order in the malt pipe

I thought about that and would be happy to buy the 20 litre malt pipe and filters but I don't think that you can order in the malt pipe

The NextGen build is back on but there is something that I can't work out.

The urn I'm using is 39cm diameter by 44cm deep ( about 30litres)
My mash pipe is 28cm diameter currently its 39cm high a volume of about 24litres.

I'm planning to do small batches 10 to 15litre so I'm fairly sure the pipe is too big.

Calculating the volume of water needed:-

15/0.85 + 2 + x. Final volume/0.85 for evap during boil, plus loss to trub and water absorbed by grain so that's about 21 - 25 litres maybe 26 at a push. I might even want to hold back a litre or two to use as a sparge.

So with those sizes what do you think would be the best size for the malt pipe?

Many Thanks. Aamcle

the other side of the coin is; the BM filter plates are available from G&G, you could probably also get the malt pipe ordered in. Even with the costs of these purchases I'd say you'd be well ahead on the cost of an entire BM. Obviously there are warranty advantages purchasing the genuine article, the advantages of using what people have built here are various, and depending on your skill set could even be extended to wireless control and so forth.
The cost of a 20lt BM is around the $2500 mark at most places, with that in mind, I think the short and long malt pipes for the 50, with two filter plates and seals, the rest of the kit built in a 100lt pot would be well under $2000. These items are the most discussed throughout this thread, and probably the part most have trouble with, do it right do it once and so forth.

my 2c

just note that the filters from GG on their website at least aren't the solid ones that everyone wants, they are the mesh flimsy filters. Solid filter plates would cost you much more than $20 at retail...

just note that the filters from GG on their website at least aren't the solid ones that everyone wants, they are the mesh flimsy filters. Solid filter plates would cost you much more than $20 at retail...

I think they also have the solid ones at about $65.
I am still thinking whether I can cut the base off a 25 litre handy imports pot then use a BM 50L seal cut down to seal it. Just not sure if I would be able to clamp it down enough to seal.

Edak said:
They have both the solid and the finer fly wire type ones. The 50Bm ones aren't priced but as the 20Bm plates are $65 I'd guess around the $100 mark. Small malt pipe $180, if the large malt pipe wasn't available for direct purchase, simply take the small one to a fab shop have him copy it .... but taller, if the fab cost came in even at $500-$600, you'd still be under $2000 for a 50L Bm build

Back