Boil Scum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i skim also. it does help stop boil overs in my exerience.

I find the "first" scum is particularly dirty. Might be ok in a dark beer but not in a light one!

cheers

Darren

I do not skim.

I really cannot see the point of it. And anyway it all dissapears when the boil starts.

cheers
johnno

Looks like we are the odds one out Johnno...better start skimming :huh:
Or make out we do hey ;)

Yukky old skum stuff !!

Batz

I'm a skimmer.
Definitely prevents boilovers when you are three litres below the capacity of the kettle.

Doc

Another no skimmer here. :ph34r:

Have to try it next time and try it out on the kids, Darren. :D

You're not a real brewer unless you skim scum. :p

Ive never bothered skimming the scum yet.Will put it down to a will do one day type of thing to see if it makes any difference to my beer.

Anti skimmer
Big D

I don't usually either Big D. I did the other day when brewing my dry stout for the NSW Xmas in July case 'cause the mood took me, but it is the exception that proves the rule - normally I don't. Given the overwhelming numbers of skimmers though, maybe I should!! Get with the winning team and all that...

Shawn.

I generally look at the surface of the wort and skim when/if required. Some brews don't require skimming at all. Depends on what you make, how vigourous the boil is etc.

Steve

Ive never bothered skimming the scum yet.Will put it down to a will do one day type of thing to see if it makes any difference to my beer.

Anti skimmer
Big D

Big d,
Just try it; skim just once; you wont look back! remember the "underlet" :unsure:
The experience is amasing and you only need to use a mug size cup or any skimmer cup of similar size.
And, for no other reason it adds interest to an AG full brew day.
Your boiled wort will be cleaner for your efforts and your beer filter will thank you in the end :lol: :lol: :D
Cheers

I am a skimmer too.

One thing I found is, so long as you haven't added hops (ie FWH), that scum is loved by children. I recommend, if you haven't added hops, to collect it in a glass and give it to the kids to try.
Had a glass of it with milk last brewday myself.

cheers

Darren

{Insert warm, fuzzy music here} :lol: :p

Warren -

After reading this thread and having experienced my second messy, sticky, caramelised boil over (the garage still smells like some form of Horlicks), I believe I may be ready to try skimming!

I had not experienced a boil over, but once I started doubling my recipes upto 38 litres, found my converted keg boiler really needs to be watched andhave a hand on the LPG tank tap, what a pain.

I scum skimmin works next time, I will be a convert!

Now, how to succond the wives kitchen implements to skim with :eek:

I am a skimmer too.

One thing I found is, so long as you haven't added hops (ie FWH), that scum is loved by children. I recommend, if you haven't added hops, to collect it in a glass and give it to the kids to try.

cheers

Darren

Warren -

Like it Warren :lol: :lol:

I am a skimmer too.

cheers

Darren

Warren -

Like it Warren :lol: :lol:

Don't knock it until you have tried it!

cheers

Darren

I skimmed religiously as a newbie.
I haven't managed to remember for about the last upteen brews.
No problems. I'm happy.
I can see the benefits in avoiding boilovers but nothing else discernable.

Do you reckon mash hopping has anything to do with it?
Gosh this is such a lonely thread

Back