Boil Scum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Do you guys skim the scum off the top of the boiler as it starts to boil? :blink:

Boil Scum

Only way too treat Scum Mercs :ph34r:

No I don't skim but many do,some posts on this already mate try a search on skim

Batz

Do you guys skim the scum off the top of the boiler as it starts to boil? :blink:

Hi mercs own,
I do with every brew, they tell me it makes for a clearer beer.
Cheers

I'm a proud scum skimmer. Seems to reduce the likelihood of a boilover also seem to stop a lot of the hop pellets getting caught up in the foam and winding up stuck to the pot.

Warren -

The scum by the way is good terminology as it is not the hot break as some still believe.

I'll skim scum need brew to see if I can pick a difference.

Batz

What do you skimmers use to skim the skum?

A drinking straw Rob. :lol:

Actually one of those big slotted spoons. They hold the foam and allow the liquid to drop back into the pot. I find the best time to do it is just as the wort's hitting the boil. The foam seems to increase it's viscosity by then.

SWMBO still isn't aware that I've swiped hers. :ph34r:

Warren -

A drinking straw Rob. :lol:

Actually one of those big slotted spoons. They hold the foam and allow the liquid to drop back into the pot. I find the best time to do it is just as the wort's hitting the boil. The foam seems to increase it's viscosity by then.

SWMBO still isn't aware that I've swiped hers. :ph34r:

Warren -

I tried using a slotted spoon a couple of times but most of the foam seemed to go back throught the slots with the wort :eek: so I gave it away. I was wondering if a smallish wire strainer (with a long handle!) might do the trick? .....or a straw ;)

I use a flour sieve - fine s/s mesh, works great - Yes I'm a skimmer :)

cheers Ross

I tried using a slotted spoon a couple of times but most of the foam seemed to go back throught the slots with the wort :eek: so I gave it away. I was wondering if a smallish wire strainer (with a long handle!) might do the trick? .....or a straw ;)

Rob.

Sounds like you might be skimming as it begins to form. I've found that the foam thickens up once the boil begins. Then I'm able to lift it straight out.

Here's a pic of the spoon I'm talking about. Hope 'Er Indoors doesn't murder me. ;)

Warren -

DSC01286.JPG

I have recently started skimming after suffering a couple of boil overs. Like Ross I use a S/S flour sieve that lifts the scum off the top very easily.
And batz is spot on, it's not hot break but the coagulated protiens and small grain particles that have carried over from the sparge and rise to the surface of the wort as it approaches boil temperatures.

Cheers
Andrew

I also do the skimming thing after seeing it done by Ross. I find it definitely helps to control boil overs. I have been doing a lot of Aust pale ales lately with small amounts of wheat (150 to 200g) in the grainbill. The addition of the wheat seems to create a larger than normal foaming head and without skimming I reckon I would definitely have had several boilovers.

Cheers
Mothballs

Skimmer here, and first having seen Ross do it in the company of Mothballs, agree it is good to have that scum out of the wort.

cheers

Browndog

Skimmer here, and first having seen Ross do it in the company of Mothballs, agree it is good to have that scum out of the wort.

cheers

Browndog

What was Mothballs doing in the wort?

Sorry. Bit weak. Couldn't resist. Blame lunch.

Good Day
I use a SS pasta drainer that looks very similar to Warren's. Have a bowl nearby with water in it that I dunk the skimmer in to get rid of the scum.

I am a skimmer too.

One thing I found is, so long as you haven't added hops (ie FWH), that scum is loved by children. I recommend, if you haven't added hops, to collect it in a glass and give it to the kids to try.
Had a glass of it with milk last brewday myself.

cheers

Darren

I do not skim.

I really cannot see the point of it. And anyway it all dissapears when the boil starts.

cheers
johnno

Latest posts

Back