Best way to carbonate water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.

I've carbonated the first keg using the ROSS method. After about 15-20 minutes I found it was still only very lightly carbonated -- almost resembling flat soda water from the supermarket. The resting PSI after turning the gas off was around 35. I'm going to try and experiment and see what I can do.

You guys drink 5lt a day of highly carbonated water? :unsure:
I have a 12lt keg as a bonus fit in with my 3 kegerater. I just refill it with filtered water and re connect it in the kegerater set at 12psi.
Its chilled and undercarbed in 1 day and fully carbonated in 3-4 days? I really don't mind pure chilled water without that carbon flavour but having on tap makes it soda water. I like soda water too.
As for purity of drinking water. Any bad things about consuming the big evil co2?

Yeah I'd say, and believe from all kinds of scientific scrutiny. That there are no negative effects to be proved yet of beverage consumption levels of co2.

Danscraftbeer said:
You guys drink 5lt a day of highly carbonated water? :unsure:
I have a 12lt keg as a bonus fit in with my 3 kegerater. I just refill it with filtered water and re connect it in the kegerater set at 12psi.
Its chilled and undercarbed in 1 day and fully carbonated in 3-4 days? I really don't mind pure chilled water without that carbon flavour but having on tap makes it soda water. I like soda water too.
As for purity of drinking water. Any bad things about consuming the big evil co2?
Around 3-4L each a day on average, so I'd say about 10L a day. A 19L keg only lasts us 1.5-2 days.

I guess over the next few weeks we'll experiment and figure out how to get it how we want it. It may be hard to match the fizziness of 800ml of water blasted in a Soda Stream (1000 PSI?) for 6+ seconds.

Its more a settled thing than a fast force thing. Even with just water. A conditioning time is needed.
Sounds like you need 3 keg set up. That is to keep up with that kind of soda water intake.

Danscraftbeer said:
Its more a settled thing than a fast force thing. Even with just water. A conditioning time is needed.
Sounds like you need 3 keg set up. That is to keep up with that kind of soda water intake.
I see. So maybe 20 minutes of carbonating it and then leave it in for a while?
Yeah maybe we'll need to add another hose so we can gas 3 tanks at once. Right now we're doing just 2.

Set and forget is were I am. I rarely fiddle with pressure variations. Chilled at 12 psi serving pressure. To serve.

I'm far over the rock roll with your foot shake to make it all happen faster its not worth it. IMO
Take the lazy way with capacity if you can. Set it to serving pressure. Let it condition for 4 days.
What I have found with trying to carbonate faster is that its only good after 4 days anyway.
I think trying to make instant fizzy drink via instant carbonation is a fantasy4 . Best soda water on my tap.
4 days conditioning time at serving pressure at 4c. That my verdict. :)

Kalyori said:
Around 3-4L each a day on average, so I'd say about 10L a day. A 19L keg only lasts us 1.5-2 days.

I guess over the next few weeks we'll experiment and figure out how to get it how we want it. It may be hard to match the fizziness of 800ml of water blasted in a Soda Stream (1000 PSI?) for 6+ seconds.
Try a 3/4 full keg you'll get a lot more fizz.

grott said:
"summer time training" Dave? Hope it's booze related.
Well, of course..

88d6bd40-b04a-4551-b93c-932b094429b2_22_reps_Bench_Pressing_a_152_lb_KEG.m4v_2_xl.jpg

The reason people report flat water after force-carbonation protocols is that the water needs to be cold (~4 degrees) - if your tap water is 20 degrees you won't get fast carbonation even at 40psi.

Given the whole 19litres needs to cool, I personally put the keg on the gas at 40psi for 24 hours in the fridge. This is long enough for the water to cool and the 40psi gas to do its thing.

If you have the KK4 3-tap only for water though, you probably don't need to have a keg ready in 24 hours because you'd be rotating kegs. In which case serving and carbonating at 20psi should work fine (30psi makes for a very violent pour and will lose a lot of the carbonation. At 4 degrees it will also result in literally painfully high carbonation.).

Thanks guys, will keep in mind everything you've said!

Jrrj said:
The reason people report flat water after force-carbonation protocols is that the water needs to be cold (~4 degrees) - if your tap water is 20 degrees you won't get fast carbonation even at 40psi.

Given the whole 19litres needs to cool, I personally put the keg on the gas at 40psi for 24 hours in the fridge. This is long enough for the water to cool and the 40psi gas to do its thing.

If you have the KK4 3-tap only for water though, you probably don't need to have a keg ready in 24 hours because you'd be rotating kegs. In which case serving and carbonating at 20psi should work fine (30psi makes for a very violent pour and will lose a lot of the carbonation. At 4 degrees it will also result in literally painfully high carbonation.).
We currently leave our kegs in the fridge for 24 hours before carbonation, and the temperature is set to 6 degrees (but the fridge reports 3.) But not sure if the keg is actually getting to 3c -- I'd assume it would over 24 hours though.

We've got a 2-tap but yeah we're rotating kegs.

Kalyori said:
Thanks guys, will keep in mind everything you've said!

We currently leave our kegs in the fridge for 24 hours before carbonation, and the temperature is set to 6 degrees (but the fridge reports 3.) But not sure if the keg is actually getting to 3c -- I'd assume it would over 24 hours though.

We've got a 2-tap but yeah we're rotating kegs.
If you're chilling before carbonating via the ROSS method, can't hurt to hook the keg up to gas while the keg cools down. Every little bit helps

I notice in the Kegmaster 4's manual it says "Warning: Do not exceed 40 PSI on your system" however I'm wondering if that's just for dispensing? I.E., when the out is connected to the keg?

If I disconnect the out from all kegs can I pump the PSI up to 50, 60, 70, etc., for carbonation and then release the excess gas so it's back below 40 PSI levels?

pcqypcqy said:
If you're chilling before carbonating via the ROSS method, can't hurt to hook the keg up to gas while the keg cools down. Every little bit helps
True, good point. We're gunna see if we can get another hose so we can gas 3 kegs at once as well rather than just the 2.

Kalyori said:
I notice in the Kegmaster 4's manual it says "Warning: Do not exceed 40 PSI on your system" however I'm wondering if that's just for dispensing? I.E., when the out is connected to the keg?

If I disconnect the out from all kegs can I pump the PSI up to 50, 60, 70, etc., for carbonation and then release the excess gas so it's back below 40 PSI levels?

True, good point. We're gunna see if we can get another hose so we can gas 3 kegs at once as well rather than just the 2.
You can get a manifold to split the gas lines, or you could even just do it with some t-splitters. Have a look at any home brew shop website, it's all standard gear.

I think 40 psi is the working limit for the kegs themselves, after which the safety valve will release the pressure.

The BEST way to carbonate soda water, is simple.
1: before you put the water in the keg, put 2 ltrs of it (hot) into a 25LTR sanitized container.
2: Add 1 can of coopers mexican cervesa and 1 Kg of brewblend #20.
3: stir untill disolved
4. fill to the 21Ltr mark and cool to 20 deg C or under.
5 add yeast and sit for a week or so.
Then you can put your soda water into a keg and add 30 psi for 3 days, then drop the pressure to 10 psi.
you will get a nice refreshing carbonated soda water to enjoy all year round :D

The BEST way to carbonate soda water, is simple.
1: before you put the water in the keg, put 2 ltrs of it (hot) into a 25LTR sanitized container.
2: Add 1 can of coopers mexican cervesa and 1 Kg of brewblend #20.
3: stir untill disolved
4. fill to the 21Ltr mark and cool to 20 deg C or under.
5 add yeast and sit for a week or so.
Then you can put your soda water into a keg and add 30 psi for 3 days, then drop the pressure to 10 psi.
you will get a nice refreshing carbonated soda water to enjoy all year round :D

That would make beer..?

Latest posts

Back