Berliner Weisse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about re-using some of the slurry to make another one, but not sure if it will work as well, with the blend balance thing.

Might be worth a try though????

Thoughts ???

I was thinking about re-using some of the slurry to make another one, but not sure if it will work as well, with the blend balance thing.

Might be worth a try though????

Thoughts ???

For the cost of the grain and hops, I'm going to do a second one on the cake. I doubt it will be the same, but it still may be nice.

It tastes awesome straight from the fermenter. Can't wait until I get enough bottles together, as I'm not game enough to let this touch my kegs.

Mine could be infected ;)

Berliner.jpg

I put mine in a keg, but i will put a big stamp on it that says............ FUNK

I saved about 100ml of running's and may chuck another one through....... it only takes a few hours and a few kg of malt.

I think i have kick started a like of sour ales......... i see adventure, infection, funk and mould the horizon :p

Edit:

Kev..... i just opened your photo that i thought was a UFO sighting, and that looks like a worry. Mine had a clean surface after almost 2.5 months.

Does it smell of nail polish?

I have been keeping an eye on this thread as I want to try one of these. The only beer the missus likes. The feral brewery do a watermelon one. Any ideas of when is best to add fruit to it?

Ok.

Just had a thought.

I just made a belgian wit........ and the mash has drained about 6 liters of 1.02something runnings into a SS pot.

Im gunna put this in a 5 liter demijon with a bit of the berliner slurry to see how it goes.

Dont even need to do a brew to see if it works.

I still have a 2nd smack pack for winter........ and will let it sit for 6 months next time :)

cheers

It's a ufo flying over the surface of the moon

No bad smells or tastes. It's actually very mild tasting and nice. I should keg it now to drink, 'm just not sure about allowing the Brett in my kegs.

Here's a better pic I just took. Which looks more like it does.

berliner_3.jpg

Oh WOW..... that looks incredible!

Very different to the actobacterial infections i have had in the past. Should be good.

Here is what i did with my Belgian Wit runnings.

Weisse_II__1152_x_1728_.jpg

That looks yummy, I'm probably going to throw some strawberries in some of mine later.

I'm not sure if the bacteria on mine is from the Lactobacillus or the Brettanomyces, as I used the Wyeast 3191 pack. My guess would be moreso the Brettanomyces, but I'm not really sure. It's probably got another month before I'm likely to bottle/keg it up. This one is a Brett infection in it's early stages.

Yep that looks like it mate.

I went purely with the lactic sourness and no Brett.

Next beer is going to be a lambic me thinks :)

That looks yummy, I'm probably going to throw some strawberries in some of mine later.

I'm not sure if the bacteria on mine is from the Lactobacillus or the Brettanomyces, as I used the Wyeast 3191 pack. My guess would be moreso the Brettanomyces, but I'm not really sure. It's probably got another month before I'm likely to bottle/keg it up. This one is a Brett infection in it's early stages.

Looks similar to the pellicles I've had on my brett beers although most of those have been made with a blend too. Should protect the beer from oxidation etc.

Looks like my standard house infection ;)

All SWMBOs damn fruit trees I think.

Funny thing is, I don't like my accidental "bretty sours", but I have a large group of friends who do...

Just put down my first berliner on the weekend. This thread was a great help. Had some equipment issues and ended up having to take my mash out and dumping the mash in water. Even though it had only mashed in at 38c it had a decent effect on my eff. Was expecting 1034 and got 1028. Did a 10 min boil for old times sake.

I've pitched a started lacto which is going nuts and the berliner blend will be going in in a couple days. Yay!

7f1d6ee05e2211e2979f22000a1f8ae3_7.jpg

When I bottle this one I am going to rack a stronger (1045 maybe) berliner onto the cake and see what happens.

Anyways, some questions.

• How long do you guys recommend leaving it? I want it pretty sour and I am fermenting in a keg so oxidation isn't that much of a problem. I was thinking 3 or even more months to get it mega sour, but don't want to wait that long if I don't have to. I know I've seen people talk normal fermentation times early in this thread.
  • I often see people say 'fresh yeast at bottling' or in this case 'fresh lacto and yeast at bottling'. How is that done? A whole vial mixed in a la bulk priming? One grain of dried yeast per bottle? (LOL)
  • Clarity - How much clarity shift do you guys see by the end of the ferment? I know it's a cloudy beer anyway, but the unboiled/barely boiled wort was a colour I'd not normally like to see in my beer - though seeing Tony's fruit photo above suggests its probably ok!

Re fresh yeast at bottling - I would use some ale yeast slurry along with your priming sugar to ensure proper bottle carbonation.

Mines kicking at 39 days in - i did a taster at 37 days and it was clean dry and mid acidic with a mild-mid sourness - quite chalky. (This is comparing it to the excessive amount of sours i had in Belgium)

One of the best beers i have brewed. Thank god i have 100L of it.
I'll leave it for another 2 months while i am overseas.

Tony: using slurry has been proven to make many awesome beers, 100% brett or lacto can be used. I'm planning to pitch another 100L into my barrel as soon as its emptied. Should raise the sourness a few notches from what i have read, however lacto kills itself at a certain sourness.

I think i need to add some Pediococcus to reach those lambic levels.

Note the raspberries are near not-noticable in mine - maybe a few more months.
It is a nice pink colour - maybe from the wine barrel :/ slight tannins bringing up the rear however they meld quite nice with the sourness.

Edit: My blowoff 25L glass demijohn has a wonderful funk layer. Its like powdered snow. Should have a picture somewhere... Searching...

Yes its an ice cube in my sample....

64534_10151288215264471_1977132814_n.jpg

IMG_0903.JPG

I have two BW going at the moment

One with Wyeast 3191 and the other recultured from dregs of the Billy Ray Citrus.

The 3191 is moving slowly and might be a bit cold at 18 degrees. It dropped 4 points in a week
The BRC was sitting at 24 degrees and has exploded with activity.

As I am fermenting in Jerrycans I was going to opt for a shorter fermentation cycle as my last lot of sour beers in plastic had too much Acetobacter influence.

Does anyone have a successful base fermentation schedule, or is it a just keep tasting it and see scenerio?

My BW seems to be stuck at around 3.9 pH. A good BW should be 3.3-3.5.

It is around 2.5 months old. Is the answer just more time?

I'm also fermenting in a jerry can - should I get it into bottles to age/sour further?

joshuahardie said:
I have two BW going at the moment

One with Wyeast 3191 and the other recultured from dregs of the Billy Ray Citrus.

The 3191 is moving slowly and might be a bit cold at 18 degrees. It dropped 4 points in a week
The BRC was sitting at 24 degrees and has exploded with activity.

As I am fermenting in Jerrycans I was going to opt for a shorter fermentation cycle as my last lot of sour beers in plastic had too much Acetobacter influence.

Does anyone have a successful base fermentation schedule, or is it a just keep tasting it and see scenerio?
Good to hear you put down the split batch with those dregs josh
My batch with the dregs was also explosive pretty sure I read it was a wheat sach strain in it so kicks off and ferments quick as appose to the Berliner blend which has a German ale(happily stand corrected).

As for ferment schedule I remember the 3191 was still going 2 weeks after the brc. Pretty sure I kegged first one around 5-6weeks.bulk primed and left in the keg for over a month can't remember exactly

Ps. Have a chat to Duane I ordered in some glass carboys and pretty sure he has one left.

I'm also fermenting in a jerry can - should I get it into bottles to age/sour further?

If it isn't showing signs of oxidisation then i'd leave it for another few weeks let the lactose do it's thing. Not sure where I read it but It said 3 months a good estimate to when it should be done.

I've got a Berliner in a fermenter at the moment at ~40deg with some fresh unmashed grain to inoculate with lacto...
Had a look this afternoon and it has produced heaps of gas which smells pretty bad. ( stupidly forgot to add an airlock so the build up of gas has blown up the fermenter like a football.
I'm concerned about the bad smell but the taste is not offensive. I'm planning to add White labs berliner weiss blend tomorrow.

Should I ditch this or is the smell okay?

goldenchild said:
Ps. Have a chat to Duane I ordered in some glass carboys and pretty sure he has one left.
Too late, I got the last one on Saturday!
I'm sure he'll get some more though if you ask him - and he remembers.

Latest posts

Back