Beer Labels And Logos

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that most of you use adobe illustrator to whip up your logos. Any others progs you would recommend? I tried word art and that just frustrated the hell out of me. Paint shop doesnt seem to do much.

DrSmurto, If you haven't already seen/read about GIMP, then check it out.
It's a Photoshop type program, as for vector based packages I'm unsure of any others as I now use the Adobe suite at work so I dont play with the "freebies" out there anymore.

I used GIMP a few years ago and it was quite good, I know a few people here use it too, available for both Windows & Linux.

I used GIMP a few years ago and it was quite good, I know a few people here use it too, available for both Windows & Linux.
And Mac and Solaris... you name it.

+1 for The GIMP. It's even better now than it was a couple of years ago, and way more stable than it was back in the version 1 days.

If you can find it in yourselves to transfer $50k to me via Paypal, I can finally get my camera out of the safe deposit box in Geneva in order to take a photograph of the beverage. You can trust me, I make beer for Nigeria.

Just send me your account details and make a $150 deposit, and I'll arrange the 50K one day reeeallll soon! :lol:

ps - nice label there Jase - can you confirm the software you used?

Just send me your account details and make a $150 deposit, and I'll arrange the 50K one day reeeallll soon! :lol:

ps - nice label there Jase - can you confirm the software you used?

Thanks for the feedback. I used Photoshop. Although the centre was ripped off from elsewhere, as was the title scroll. The 'burst' image is a huge px win-ding (fleurons) with some shadow effects etc.

As to what Nigerian Ale is, I don't really know what the brew would be considered as. But with the addition of caramalt and crystal grain, it was a whole lot darker than I expected.
I can think of another name for it but as this isn't /b/ I would get my ass kicked harshly. :)

And Dr Smurto... take a look at Inkscape. It's the nearest open source thing to Illustrator to be found. Just like Illustrator, it's not very intuitive, it has a mile-high learning curve and it's a darned good vector based illustration package but it's not really 100% suitable for professional pre-press, etc but it is excellent for everyday use. Don't use the native SVG file format - it has scaling issues. Output to PDF and you will be plased as punch. Here's where to get it: http://www.inkscape.org/download/?lang=en

+1 on GIMP. Good stuff, especially for the price. Lacks the finesse of Photoshop but it has no equal at the price. :) Give up on the applications included with Windoze - they're more likely to drive you barmy than deliver a result that one could be really pleased with.

Cheers - Fermented.

Downloaded GIMP last night, takes a while on my lightning fast dial up connection :rolleyes: Gave me plenty of time to stick pins into the nether regions of my Sol Trujillo voodoo doll.....

Now i just have 3 nights to master it and get my case swap labels printed.....

This for a person who failed finger painting in kindy....

Warrens logo might just get a run after all..... :ph34r:

Thought I'd have a crack at this label bisso. Being forced to bottle my Scottish ale (I'm a keg man) for the Xmas lottery winner got me all inspired. Downloaded InkScape... and came up with this:

EdinburghAle.gif

Sweet! Clean look, graphics and text tie in well, not visually noisy, just impact. Grand effort!

I'b buy it if it was in the bottlo. :D

Cheers - Fermented.

Dont suppose anyone has seen a pic of a really drunk person on the drums that I could use in a label? I havnt been able to find anything <_< Youd think it would be a fairly common thing to see :lol:

Dont suppose anyone has seen a pic of a really drunk person on the drums that I could use in a label? I havnt been able to find anything <_< Youd think it would be a fairly common thing to see :lol:

Google "John Bonham" + "Led Zeppelin"

Google "John Bonham" + "Led Zeppelin"

Tried that, he just doesnt ever look smashed enough, keith moon would be my next bet :lol:

True story, mate of mines dad is John Bonhams cousin, my cheap claim to fame :p

This could work? - Again, not really drunk, just playing hard, even tho he most likely is drunk as a skunk right there :lol:

Bonham.jpg

Or... Im not sure what to use, what do you guys think?

moon_400x300.jpg

Depends on the label style you're shooting for.

If you're after something lo-fi and edgy, then the second one is it.

If you're shooting for something more contemporary, then the first one.

What kind of layout did you have in mind? Look? Feel? (Hey - I'm technically on holidays and it still feels like I am taking client briefs. :D)

Cheers - Fermented.

OMG, youve opened a can of worms there "Animal" is my nickname when im on the drums cos apparantly I flail like him :lol:

Im not really sure what im after, something contemperary I guess, hmmm, guess ive got some thinking to do... Could you give me an example of something?

Animal.jpg

Hey Reviled

Do you want an oval label like Mitchell's fine effort or some other shape?

Have a quick think and let me know. I'm lunching in front of the poota and can whip up something basic for you tool around with if you like.

Cheers - Fermented.

lol - the Google-fu is strong in this one. :)

Cheers - Fermented.

Back