Beer Labels And Logos

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the time I've found you don't have to soak labels off. Half filling the bottle with hot tap water usually softens the glue sufficiently to remove the labels easily.

Great tip tyred. In the past I have submerged my bottles in a slightly soapy bucket of water and left for a few days, but rinsing the soapy water out of the bottles uses a lot of water. I was removing some labels last night and in the interests of scientific inquiry, used the technique of half filling bottles with hot tap water.

The results were mixed as it appears that not all commericial beer labels are attached equally, but its pretty effective overall.

09092008_001_.jpg

European labels just fall off - especially Belgians (with the possible exception of chimay) however most locally bottled beers and coopers especially - were a lot harder to remove and while the hot water had softened them up I eventually resorted to scraping the labels with a butter knife to cleanly remove them.

There was glue left on the bottles and this scrubbed off pretty easily with sponge mop. I got three crates clean in about 45 minutes

cheers

grant

My latest effort for my belgian inspired Coconut Dark Ale.

Bounty_Oud_Bruin.jpg

Write on the cap, saves; time, money and trees.
Although some of those labels look kickarse..

I'm only a n00b at this, but when I'm bottling I mark the case with what's in there and make some labels for fun. My family name is abbey-ish and I have a coarse sense of humour for the most part so I mess with both of those to amuse myself.

As I am still a wuss and using PET, if there is a mixed range in the fridge I just write a letter for what it is on the cap so that lager drinkers don't get a cerveza etc.

Nonetheless, I have some fun in InDesign and InkScape (*nix application, yes, am mostly anti-Micro$oft) designing labels for brews as yet unborn. :D

Some of you guys have really come up with some really lovely art. Congrats and I confess I'm inspired.

Cheers - Fermented.

Saxons_Pride_small.jpg

HAG Christmas swap lable

no more for a while... time to get making some beer to put them on...:blink:

hey just wondering wat program you's are using for these labels?
they look awesome.

franko i notice your from mt annan. i live in bradbury now but lived in narellan all my life til 6 weeks ago

hey just wondering wat program you's are using for these labels?
they look awesome.

franko i notice your from mt annan. i live in bradbury now but lived in narellan all my life til 6 weeks ago

Can't speak for everyone but I'm an Illustrator and Photoshop man myself.
I think Franko uses the Adobe suite as well...

+1 for photochop. It's a bugger to learn, at least at first, because nothing is intuitive, but there's plenty of tutorials, and it's almost infinitely powerful once you get going.

+1 for photochop. It's a bugger to learn, at least at first, because nothing is intuitive, but there's plenty of tutorials, and it's almost infinitely powerful once you get going.

I use The GIMP because I'm a Linux geek. Someone recommended a vector based Linux program to me the other day, but I can't remember who or what program it was... :rolleyes:

Corel Painter Essentials, which came with my graphics tablet. It's lightweight and easy to do freehand drawing in.
ArtRage is what I used for the brush stroke/skid mark on the label I did for dicko's Skid Mark Brown Ale.
I then use Photoshop for labelling and composition. It's just easy to manipulate different elements and layers.

I think this may be the start of "Franko's Photoshop Tutorials" on the Wiki.

It's something I'd be keen to see.

Benniee

:super: Gotta be one of the best suggestions I've seen around here in a long while!

I can use photoshop for editing, but I'm hopeless when designing from the ground up.... no talent.

I use The GIMP because I'm a Linux geek. Someone recommended a vector based Linux program to me the other day, but I can't remember who or what program it was... :rolleyes:
Inkscape is what you want for vector graphics on Linux. I use it for all my labels.

Back