Beer Aftertaste Problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pint of lager said:
BK, you are using 30 litre fermnters and racking from one to another with a batch size of 18 litres. Are you racking for bulk priming, or for secondary? Bulk priming is ok, but if you are seondarying in a fermenter with large headspace, that would certainly be the cause of oxidation.
[post="68744"][/post]​

POL,
I have made quite a few 10-20 litre batches and used a 30 litre fermentor for secondary. Cant say I have ever tasted anything off in my beers.

johnno

Hi Guys

Just updating you and the archives with how things turned out.

I've now decided what ever was off flavours I was getting was during bottling.

Because the brews that were in the fermentation stage, when I made the big changes to my sanitisation procedures, have turned out fine.

I now use gloves for bottling and most wort handing procedures. The outside of the gloves are rinsed in the Brewcraft Brewshield Sanitiser.

You know when you have to jam the little bottler into the fermenter tap just prior to bottling. I used to do this with bare hands. This may haven been the source of my problems.

Anyway. Everything is good now and the beer is fantastic.

Cheers
Beer Krout

Hi, just joining the party late. As an aside, i have beers that started a little sour come good over time. In particular two beers i made with Nottinghams had some definite flaws after a month, now there coming good. Just in time for summer.

Cheers

Will

Beer Krout said:
Hi Guys

Just updating you and the archives with how things turned out.

I've now decided what ever was off flavours I was getting was during bottling.

Because the brews that were in the fermentation stage, when I made the big changes to my sanitisation procedures, have turned out fine.

I now use gloves for bottling and most wort handing procedures. The outside of the gloves are rinsed in the Brewcraft Brewshield Sanitiser.

You know when you have to jam the little bottler into the fermenter tap just prior to bottling. I used to do this with bare hands. This may haven been the source of my problems.

Anyway. Everything is good now and the beer is fantastic.

Cheers
Beer Krout
[post="82626"][/post]​

After fitting my bottling cane I spray it with this stuff from Tricky Dick's

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...duct/View/N0049

It's cheap, evaporates pretty quick and works a treat.
Dries out your skin though - gloves are best.

Latest posts

Back