Babbs Wild Brew Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we are suppost to bring it along to the March BABBs meeting aren't we?

The preference is that you drop it off at Craftbrewer if you can.
Rather than getting Ross to transport it from the meeting...

No Winkle - still 1040ish but I'm a few days behind ya.
From the activity and time I would have expected the gravity to be down in the 30's by now. :eek:

I was at 1.043 yesterday, so I gave it a stir. Can't take anymore SG readings for a while I'm down to 17 litres.

While we're sharing numbers, I took a reading yesterday after 7 days in the fermenter (4 days after start of visible fermentation) and it was 1.047. At this rate I'm thinking I might need to get another fermenter to get the American Pale finished in time for the March meeting! :lol:

Cheers,
Kris.

Are the kegs to be just purged and not carbonated??
That is my understanding and exactly how I intend delivering mine to CB tomorrow morning.

Ross/Ian - what labelling is required?

Edit: If any?

That is my understanding and exactly how I intend delivering mine to CB tomorrow morning.

Ross/Ian - what labelling is required?

Edit: If any?

Kegs just purged - If you want to put your name on it that would be good - We can then let the people know whether they made the 1st cut.

cheers Ross

Is there any yeast left?

Mine is in a cube awaiting to transfer to the fermenter.

Cheers

Chap Chap

I urge anyone yet to brew this beast to make a starter unless you go up to the MT & skim the yeast. My slurry, a good 200ml took 48 hours to kick in & alas I fear all I have been left with is expensive vinegar. :(

:icon_cheers:

Paul

I urge anyone yet to brew this beast to make a starter unless you go up to the MT & skim the yeast. My slurry, a good 200ml took 48 hours to kick in & alas I fear all I have been left with is expensive vinegar. :(

Paul

+1 I used about 250-300ml of the second lot of yeast, and it took 72 hours to take off.

Can definitely recommend a starter. I did a 2L starter 2 days before brewday, then pitched the whole lot into the wort. Was bubbling away within 8 hours.

- Snow

I used the same yeast for my Dubbel. Took 48 hours to show any life, but then went nuts - Gravity from 1077 to 1010 with no aeration & tasting sublime...
If your your sanitation regime is ok, the beer should be fine.

cheers Ross

I used the same yeast for my Dubbel. Took 48 hours to show any life, but then went nuts - Gravity from 1077 to 1010 with no aeration & tasting sublime...
If your your sanitation regime is ok, the beer should be fine.

cheers Ross

Totally agree there Ross, I did a Belgian dark strong that sat in the fermenter for a month before getting down to an acceptable finishing gravity and it is tasting fine.

cheers

Browndog

Well brewers It looks like I'm down to about 1.032 at this point & tasting very nice, will give it another couple of days before I keg this puppy.

Paul

Yeah same here, will probably keg it this weekend. I haven't taken a reading for a while but activity has stoped, i'll take a reading while kegging and report back.

Cheers,

TS :icon_cheers:

Yeah same here, will probably keg it this weekend. I haven't taken a reading for a while but activity has stoped, i'll take a reading while kegging and report back.

Cheers,

TS :icon_cheers:
Same Here TS,

I had to stir mine and bring up to 28deg to kick it off again after the first week (It did taste good @ 1047).

On Saturday, I should have 17L of 10.5% Beer kegged. :beerbang:

PB

Mine finished at 1.024 which was higher than I had hoped. I guess it doesn't matter that much, as it will still ferment out in the barrel later on.

- Snow

Looking forward to seeing how mine is going when I get home friday. It was tasting pretty good on sunday. Swmbo is just starting to realise why I need to go downstairs so often. I showed what I needed her to do while I was away:
Me; OK open the tuckerbox but dont stick your head in too far the co2 burns your nose.
Her; Oh ok?
Me; Then just give it a gentle rock like this.
Her; Oh ok?
Me; See this button use it to raise the temp by 1 degree every 2nd day like this.
Her; Why?
Me: Do you really want me to explain?
Her; No!
Me; Make sure you keep an eye on that temp it is really important.
Her; You need help!
Me; Yes I do, I will not be here and need you to help me.
Her; You cannot be serious.

Should be ready to keg on sunday.

Well my starter (300ml of the wort added to the bottle the yeast was supplied in) was started on Thursday, and stuck in the fridge at 18 deg with some glad wrap over the top with a pin prick. Due to life I couldn't add the starter to the rest of the wort until Monday. Funnily enough the starter had crawled out of the bottle and left a slug sticking out the pin hole.

According to the fermenter I actually have 19.3L of wort, so that's handy, thought I only had 18L (hard to tell with a cube crushed to get the air out). The temp got turned up to 20 today and it's bubbling away happily. Now to wait for the krausen to build up when it hits 24 and slug it with some more sugar to bring it up to where it needs to be.

Knowing that 500gm of Brown Sugar added to the boil only added 30points of gravity, I think I'll have to do the same again.

Is anyone going to Craftbrewer via my place B) ? Otherwise I'll be dropping mine off next week sometime.

Done, dusted and kegged. Now in the fridge getting cool conditioning. Finished at 1.017 :blink: .
Once kegged when/where do we drop it off and what details are required?

Maths makes 24L @ 1083 + beersmith says add 8 points for 500g Brown sugar (24L) with this wort composition.

So 1091 24L buddy. :icon_cheers:

PB
Well just got home checked the fermenter and took a hydro sample 1014 :eek: . Will crash chill and keg on sunday..........sample tasted pretty good just quietly. oh well off to make a belgian trippell choc to throw on the yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back