Babbs Wild Brew Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have missed the last few meetings due to work. But has there been any mention of where this project is at? ?

Cheers Brad

Hi Brad,

The situation at the moment is it took a while for Ross to get got hold of nice clean useable keg. Then he realised that if it was filled full of 200L plus of beer there would be no way to move it round his shop if need be. That is where I stepped in and offered to build a dolly for it to sit on so they could move it from place to place and be able to tap it when the time came. That was about 8 weeks ago, doing volunteer beer stuff takes a second fiddle around here and I have finally built the dolly and am dropping it off to the shop on saturday. Hopefully it will get filled not long after and left to mature a bit before we get stuck in. I reckon Ross will be looking for volunteers to taste the kegs to find the best ones to put in the barrel, hit him up!

cheers

Browndog

Thanks for the update Browndog. Might see you at the shop saturday morning.

Cheers Brad

I'm getting forgetful these days - was it the 6th of Feb for testing of kegs/loading of the barrel?

I'm getting forgetful these days - was it the 6th of Feb for testing of kegs/loading of the barrel?
Yes Winkle.....6th Feb 10am...same Bat channel.

Newsflash...there is a strong chance of a post barrel fill pub crawl....get your leave passes sorted for the rest of the arvo.

I can feel a BABBs sunday arvo session coming on...even if it's just me.

B) PB

Woohoo :) Got my leave pass in place... Jacky happy to collect me Sunday/Monday from the city...should be a big one.. :party:

Cheers Ross

Woohoo :) Got my leave pass in place... Jacky happy to collect me Sunday/Monday from the city...should be a big one.. :party:

Cheers Ross

Sounds great,
now I just have to figure out how to get there :) .
(and come up with a feasible reason for a late start on Monday.) <_<

I'm working on it, but should get there B) .

Edit: you up 4 this Daz????
Edit edit: apparently I can get there by bus :eek: - just takes a few hours.

I'm tempted, will work on the leave pass etc tonight......ahem..... ;)

If tomorrow is as hot as today I'll have to take some liquid refreshments with me to survive the walk element of the bus journey (780 metres).
A couple of Jungle Wits should see me safely to the door.

Anyone have an idea of what time they plan to get to the second part?
I have a few things to do in the morning but was thinking about heading along to the German Club...

Bah humbug, slept in, who'd have thought drinking saisons and watching Rage was a bad idea <_< .
Looks like I drive down for a couple of samples only or I try and ask the wife nicely for a lift :eek: .
Either way I'll be there around 10.30.

There were some pretty good beers in that lot.
Hope there isn't too much carnage at the Archive :rolleyes: .

A year after this project kicked-off........the kegs have had a few months at room temperature and six or so months in cold storage to condition. We bought another wine barrel (rinsed and re-toasted) due to the delayed filling.

Browndog constructed a timber dolly for the barrel to cradle her gently and to allow easier movement in the coming years.

February 6th 2011: A group of very willing BABBs members had the arduous task of tasting samples of all the beers hoping to find enough quality beer to fill the barrel.

The samples were carefully drawn with a wine thief from the top of the kegs and transferred to beer jugs where they were split up amongst the tasters.

Tasting notes were written down on all beers to make the job of deciding which beers were selected to go into the barrel a little easier at the back end of twenty sips of 10% beer.

Some of the descriptors that kept popping up were: Clovey, Syrupy, Dark Fruit, Ethanol Warmth, Some Oxidation, Raisiny, Belgian Character, Port-like, Slight sourness.

It was a very enjoyable session

14 kegs made the final cut. Total volume 220L.

Barrel filled last weekend :D and inoculated with Wyeast 3763PC - Roeselare Ale (A blend of lambic cultures including Lactic bacteria and Brettanomyces) to help create a >10% sour beer.

We'd hoped to have this available to members by XMAS..........

I cant wait to be able to be part of a vertical tasting of Wild Brew 2011, 12, 13 and so on

Go Wild Brew Go! :beer:

wOOt!
It'll be something special alright.

Do you guys think the trade should be allowed?
Just vote yes or no
Im opening it up to vote because it deals with big name guys, and not big name guys Nate, Santana but they are having good seasons.
So basically before I let it through, I want your opinions, thanks.

Latest posts

Back