Babbs Wild Brew Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, just cracked the first of my two wildbrew Batch1 xmas 2011 bottles. It had been stored under the house and just put in the fridge for a couple of weeks. To my dismay when carefully pouring it, it came out very turbid and looking in the bottom of the bottle there was a lot of dark sludge that obviously got dispersed by the medium+ carbonation. I'm struggling to understand where all the sludge might have come from considering the beer was already well aged when it was bottled. The result was unfortunately unpleasant and undrinkable. Anyone else cracked theirs lately?

cheers

Browndog

edit-speling

The first lot was quite tart and a bit turbid mate (from the secondary ferment I guess) - I loved it a year ago, the newer batch from the Solera is altogether softer on the taste buds.
It looks like it didn't like your lenghty storage conditions.

browndog said:
So, just cracked the first of my two wildbrew Batch1 xmas 2011 bottles. It had been stored under the house and just put in the fridge for a couple of weeks. To my dismay when carefully pouring it, it came out very turbid and looking in the bottom of the bottle there was a lot of dark sludge that obviously got dispersed by the medium+ carbonation. I'm struggling to understand where all the sludge might have come from considering the beer was already well aged when it was bottled. The result was unfortunately unpleasant and undrinkable. Anyone else cracked theirs lately?

cheers

Browndog

edit-speling
I had some at a recent Gold Coast Club meeting. Was tasty. Not turbid IIRC.

Was pretty tame compared to some of the uber-funk cracked that night. One was like blue cheese with a spritz of balsamic vinegar on it - in a good way.

I'll have a really good look at the remaining bottle to see if it is clear or turbid.

browndog said:

cheers

Browndog

edit-speling
That's a shame to hear, Browndog :( . I'll have to dig up mine and see if there's any noticeable sediment or turbidity through the bottle, although mine have been in the fridge the whole time. There shouldn't have been any secondary fermentation - it was force-carb'ed and counter-pressure filled into brand new bottles that were sanitised right before filling. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the bottle might have been the last to be filled before one of the kegs blew, but my memories of that morning are fading and can't recall at what point during the filling the two kegs went. Hopefully your other one is ok!

I'm going to wait until the next batch before I open mine so I can do a side-by-side. Anyone else have anything to report in the meantime?

Cheers,
tallie

tallie said:
That's a shame to hear, Browndog :( . I'll have to dig up mine and see if there's any noticeable sediment or turbidity through the bottle, although mine have been in the fridge the whole time. There shouldn't have been any secondary fermentation - it was force-carb'ed and counter-pressure filled into brand new bottles that were sanitised right before filling. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the bottle might have been the last to be filled before one of the kegs blew, but my memories of that morning are fading and can't recall at what point during the filling the two kegs went. Hopefully your other one is ok!

I'm going to wait until the next batch before I open mine so I can do a side-by-side. Anyone else have anything to report in the meantime?

Cheers,
tallie
I was refering to the Roeselare we pitched into the barrel after initially fermenting the individual batches with W3787 Tallie - I was thinking that BD may have got a bottle with some of that trub in it. One of the first bottles I got was quite turbid but delicious.

winkle said:
I was refering to the Roeselare we pitched into the barrel after initially fermenting the individual batches with W3787 Tallie - I was thinking that BD may have got a bottle with some of that trub in it. One of the first bottles I got was quite turbid but delicious.
Ah, I see what you mean now. I wasn't involved in transferring the first lot of beer from the barrel to the kegs, so I don't know how it was done. However, if it came out of the barrel the same way as the most recent batch did, I would have thought any trub would be below the tap, and any that did make it through would have been fairly evenly mixed among the bottles.

Back