Babbs Wild Brew Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen,
Please accept my apologies in relation to my contribution to the Wild Brew project. :unsure:

It would appear that I have overshot my efficiency & have come in at 1.108 :beerbang:

Cheers

Paul

Gentlemen,
Please accept my apologies in relation to my contribution to the Wild Brew project. :unsure:

It would appear that I have overshot my efficiency & have come in at 1.108 :beerbang:

Cheers

Paul
Pitty you used all that grain and only got an 8L batch. :ph34r:

PB

How is everyones looking? 8 days after brewing I have a gravity of 1.030. Not good but not bad as it will leave something for the bugs to eat.
~14Brix this morning which calcs to ~1.027, Krausen has died away - this beer is done. I plan to take a hydro sample tomorrow with plans to keg Tuesday/Wednesday.

I picked up new yeast on Tuesday and pitched on Thursday (~300ml, no starter). Holding around 20 degrees now and still no visible sign of fermentation :-( . Wondering if I should wait or chuck in the 50-100ml of original yeast. Any thoughts?
Consensus appears to be it's a bit slow to take off at 18*C but F^&&(*ing goes off above 20*C.

Pull off a hydro sample and you will probably see some slight activity. I was a bit concerned about the lack of activity before becoming more concerned about the increase in activity :blink: . It'll probably take off tomorrow.

And take off it did! Looking much better now and will keep a close eye on it based on what everyone has said...

Cheers :icon_cheers:
Kris.

Finally got to brew my version up today. Well I did stuff up.. ended up with 29L @ 1070 without the sugar so tomorrow arv I will boil down the extra 9L and get this puppy going on the starter. Will add the sugar on dsay 2 of ferment.

Cheers Brad

Ok the last hydro sample has got down to 1.018 which is around 11% according to my trusty Beersmith and activity down to the odd bubble or two. It will go into the keg in a day or two, then into the fridge for some cold conditioning. 1.018 is a bit lower than I expected, anyones else's FG down around there?

Edit grammar, buzz, fail.

Ok the last hydro sample has got down to 1.018 which is around 11% according to my trusty Beersmith and activity down to the odd bubble or two. It will go into the keg in a day or two, then into the fridge for some cold conditioning. 1.018 is a bit lower than I expected, anyones else's FG down around there?

Edit grammar, buzz, fail.
No Winkle - still 1040ish but I'm a few days behind ya.
From the activity and time I would have expected the gravity to be down in the 30's by now. :eek:

I won't panic yet......but will keep a keen eye on things over the next couple of days.

PB

Edit - It tastes pretty awesome though...go wild brew go :beer:

Done, dusted and kegged. Now in the fridge getting cool conditioning. Finished at 1.017 :blink: .
Once kegged when/where do we drop it off and what details are required?

No Winkle - still 1040ish but I'm a few days behind ya.
From the activity and time I would have expected the gravity to be down in the 30's by now. :eek:

I won't panic yet......but will keep a keen eye on things over the next couple of days.

PB

Edit - It tastes pretty awesome though...go wild brew go :beer:

I was at 1.043 yesterday, so I gave it a stir. Can't take anymore SG readings for a while I'm down to 17 litres.

HD

Just kegged mine tonight too - ~14.82L @ FG 1.026 from OG 1.102 = ~9.99%ABV

Done, dusted and kegged. Now in the fridge getting cool conditioning. Finished at 1.017 :blink: .
Jesus Winkle! What did you do to that beer?? That's like 84% attenuation or something!

What was your mash temp and the maximum ferm temp?

- Snow

Hence the :blink:
Mashed at 65 C, yeast pitched at at 18-ish degrees, ramped up to 20 C the next day then given a home on the tiled laundry floor under a wet towel a day later when fermentation had obviously started, around 24 C when I'd checked from time to time. It'd apparently stopped at 1.020 which I'd expected, but restarted a bit when I'd shaken it getting a hydrometer sample, final gravity a three days later startled me, but it looks fine (and tastes goodly).

Only just added the brown sugar to mine this arvo. So what would 20L @ 1.070 + 4L @ 1.150 + 0.5g of sugar add up to as an SG?? Man you gotta love this yeast, it looks like its simmering in the fermenter.

Brad

Only just added the brown sugar to mine this arvo. So what would 20L @ 1.070 + 4L @ 1.150 + 0.5g of sugar add up to as an SG?? Man you gotta love this yeast, it looks like its simmering in the fermenter.

Brad
Maths makes 24L @ 1083 + beersmith says add 8 points for 500g Brown sugar (24L) with this wort composition.

So 1091 24L buddy. :icon_cheers:

PB

I think we are suppost to bring it along to the March BABBs meeting aren't we?

Maths makes 24L @ 1083 + beersmith says add 8 points for 500g Brown sugar (24L) with this wort composition.

So 1091 24L buddy. :icon_cheers:

Due to my spillage (stupid tap) I only scored 18L of 1.088, so how much extra sugar (it already got the 500g of brown sugar during the boil) should I be adding to that to make it up to the desired SG?

Kicked off the starter this arvo, so will feed it to the bulk tomorrow after work, before heading to the Platform Bar.

Back