Babbs Wild Brew Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The starter I made certainly did the job and its now sprouting a 6 inch foam stand. This arvo the sugar goes in.

Brewing this mutha this arvo.
HLT firing just going to get the sugarz.
B)

Brewing this mutha this arvo.
HLT firing just going to get the sugarz.
B)
Go for it Winkle,

I'm Done now..

20L of 1.103 wort in cube....65% brewery efficiency as predicted :) Lucky I got the supplementary grain pack.
Yeast starter going great, will pitch it tomorrow or Monday.

Had to boil a bit longer than the 2hrs due to wind and rain earlier on today to get down to volume.

Did anyone else notice that the brown sugar didn't give the predicted points lowering the overall into boiler efficiency???

Also - did anyone have this problem. Notice the pink crayon jammed up the barb in my ball valve out of the mash tun? :lol:

And photo after boil. mmmmmmmmmm
IMG_1161__Large_.jpg IMG_1172__Large_.jpg
PB

Edit - Photos

Wild Brew is currently being mashed and sitting at 65C

All things going smooth at present and will be transfered to the boil at 1900hrs

Cheers to all other wild brewers

:beer:

P.S. No crayons found as yet :unsure:

Pre boil without sugar 1.072 (volume 24/25 litres)
decided to dump the sugar in after 60 minutes boil
(roughly 22 L now 1.092)
looking good for the target so far B)

edit: volumes

Ended up giving it an extra 40 minutes.
OG = 24.5 Brix ;)

Well reached the OG I wanted at the end of the boil but only managed to get 17L FV, need to monitor my batch sparging a little closer next time.

What was the SRM ment to be, as the brew seems quite dark?

Yeast starter is under way and should be ready to pitch in the morning. Wort still cooling down using the no chill method, its a cool night so should be close to pitching temp soon enough with a hurry up from the fermentation fridge tomorrow.

Cheers.

TS

Well reached the OG I wanted at the end of the boil but only managed to get 17L FV, need to monitor my batch sparging a little closer next time.

Yeast starter is under way and should be ready to pitch in the morning. Wort still cooling down using the no chill method, its a cool night so should be close to pitching temp soon enough with a hurry up from the fermentation fridge tomorrow.

Cheers.

TS

My starter is fired, wort is no-chilling and I think the volume ended at 18 L. :rolleyes:

Beersmith makes it 19.7SRM which I thought I was way under out of the mash tun but the 120 minute boil and the Brown Sugar (I used Dark Brown Sugar) really darkened it up.

My ferment concerns seem to be over - 6 days into ferment and the ~19L of beer has about a 6" (150mm) krausen on it.

What other types of 'Brown Sugar' are people using, as I'm thinking this may be one potential area where differences in brews may arise?

There are a lot of sugars in the supermarket which are classed as brown and they range from 2-20+ SRM. Also some are going to be more fermentable than others.

Thoughts from anyone :huh:

What other types of 'Brown Sugar' are people using, as I'm thinking this may be one potential area where differences in brews may arise?

There are a lot of sugars in the supermarket which are classed as brown and they range from 2-20+ SRM. Also some are going to be more fermentable than others.

These are the 2 we stock in our house:

Bundy Sugar
CSR Sugar

This one's for Tony....."Brown does not Equal Brown"

But for a blended club brew this little variable will make it more interesting. :icon_cheers:

As I stated in a previous post, I didn't get the points that Beersmith predicted for the Bundy sugar....

PB

I used the moist Bundy sugar - while different will provide some variability I reckon all the different changes that this brew will undergo down the track will render anyone's choice somewhat irrelevant.

Got my brew done yesterday without too many hiccups... Will pitch once the starter has fired this arvo and get it all cranking B)

Well, I just laid down the wild brew. Was pretty pleased - I got 19.5L at SG 1.103 for 71% efficiency. I used just Coles brand brown sugar, as it was the only one in 500g bags. The wort turned out nice and dark after the 2 hr boil and MAN it tasted sweet!

Just pitched the yeast in a 2L starter at full krausen, so I am expecting this to take off like a rocket.

Cheers - Snow.

I brewed mine up on Friday. Got excellent extraction efficiency, with 30L @ 1.067 SG sweet wort in the kettle. (I even decided to do a partigyle experiement and filled and drained off another 5L of 1.048 wort out of the MLT - currently sanitised boiled, but still haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet). I used CSR Brown Sugar at 5 minutes before the end of the boil. Very sweet and thick hopped wort indeed!

I boiled for 2.5 hours down to 21L @ 1.101 SG, then managed to undo all my great extraction work by not noticing that my kettle filter was clogged at the end of draining, unintentionally leaving 3 litres behind in the kettle instead of the usual 1 litre :angry:

Oh well, should still get around 17 litres at the end of it all. Picking up fresh yeast from CB tomorrow.

Fresh yeast is in.

cheers Ross

That would be about right <_<

My stir plate is still working on the starter for the wild brew and looks like it will be tomorrow morning before I can pitch. The 50ml I brought home is a bit slow to bring up to adequate yeasty numbers. Oh well, patience is a virtue :rolleyes:

Cheers,

TS

Pitched my fully fermented starter into 18L of 1.105 wort. (All at 17 deg for 1 day before hand)

Apparently, your refractometer works better without hunks of hops and hot break floating around in it.

Also, I over estimated the volume..... :eek: Not so good on overall efficiency. :angry:

I hope I don't lose much to trub in the fermentor....

Go wild brew Go.......

PS - The yeast had that abbey ale funk going on :super:

PB

Back