Babbs Wild Brew Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched the yeast Sunday arvo at 18*C and bumped it up last night to 20*C. There is a small krausen on top of the beer but nothing like the life I expected from this yeast - how are others finding it? My fear is we/I've underpitched.

Also no problem guys ordering a little extra as a seperate order, keeping the ratios the same. should not cost more than a few dollars.

cheers Ross
Ordered Wild Brew supplementary pack....$4 bucks to keep the ratios the same and give myself some breathing space. I need only to hit 66% now. :icon_cheers:

Will get wife and kiddies to pick up the ingredients and keg for me sometime this week so I can get a starter going and brew the beer on Saturday.....Woohoo!

PB

Picked up the grain, had a chat, ordered some IPA stuff for me, made sure I didn't forget the little pack of Nelson...

Driving back to the city.

Bugger...

Yeast!!

See you tomorrow Ross!

Sketched up a label for the brew. I'm no where near good enough to produce something electronic though.

I pitched the yeast Sunday arvo at 18*C and bumped it up last night to 20*C. There is a small krausen on top of the beer but nothing like the life I expected from this yeast - how are others finding it? My fear is we/I've underpitched.

Plugging the numbers into Mr Malty we need closer to 200ml of slurry. Ive add 300ml of wort to the bottle as a smaller start for tomorrows brew session. Lets hope it kicks off :)

I'm finding a similar experience.
The amount of yeast in my bottle certainly only seemed to be about 100ml, definitely not 200.
I might throw some more yeast, I have a small starter of the same I think, before I put the sugar in.

I'm finding a similar experience.
The amount of yeast in my bottle certainly only seemed to be about 100ml, definitely not 200.
I might throw some more yeast, I have a small starter of the same I think, before I put the sugar in.

Count yourself lucky Ben, my bottle has about 50ml in it. I don't know what to do about it.

cheers

Browndog

Mightn't need that Rosalare.
Yep - was just thinking that if FG's come up a bit high then the bugs in the barrel might get more to eat than bargained for!! M

Guys, Unfortunately, the container Ian filled with yeast was full of foam & settled out to less than anticipated.
Either build a starter or come & collect some fresh yeast from us next Tuesday (being delivered Monday).

cheers Ross

Yep it seems as though the 7 or so litres I delivered settled down to much less than that(filled from pressurised container as gently as possible). I had anticipated on everyone using about 100-150ml of pure yeast so if you don't have that much drop in on tuesday and I will have more yeast for you.... or make a starter.

....edit fi mi bd sellinpg

Brewed mine this arvo and ended up with just over 18L of 1.094 in the fermenter. Efficiency was a bit low at 69% and extended the boil to 3hrs to get the gravity up. Ill add 450g of sugar in a few days and that will get the OG up to 1.105.

I ran the ferment for the first 24 hours with the controller at 18*C, second 24 hours at 20*C then lifted to 24*C - now at that temp there's plenty of krausen and airlock activity going on so it's looking better now. I'll take a gravity Monday night and depending on activity and that reading might pop around for yeast Tuesday arvo.

Edit: badly grammer

I ran the ferment for the first 24 hours with the controller at 18*C, second 24 hours at 20*C then lifted to 24*C -

Perfect !!!!
lets just hope there is enough yeast in there :unsure: ..... how much did you pitch?

Hey guys, are we supposed to bring our own container when we pick up the yeast?

Sweet. I'll be by Saturday mroning to pick up the goodies.

Got my wildbrew down this morning and learned a thing or two about efficiencies and big beers in the process. Mine went into the fermenter at 1.103 so was pretty happy but had to deviate from my set standards to do it. I boil pretty hard with most of my brews and generally this is OK. However with 1066 into the fermenter, I found I had to wind the knob on the HP reg way back to stop boil overs. As a result, this increased my post boil volume by two litres so I had to boil an extra 20 mins to get down to target volume. The IBUs might be up a tad, but it was worth it to put the refractometer to my eye and then have to look up to take the reading.

cheers

Browndog

Wild brewers Breakfast!

IMG_1158__Large_.jpg

PB

Back