Babbs Wild Brew Project

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent news Paul!

So will you be blowing the dust off brewery for this one?

Chappo

Yes mate just waiting for some fermentation space, have an IIPA & an APA nearly ready to be kegged.

Cheers

Paul

Ready and waiting (to pick the grain up that is... I'm pretty sure it's not being delivered!!)

I'll try and do this one properly then... :unsure:

Can all those you are interested email [email protected]?

We'd like to keep a central list to make it easier for the guys at craftbrewer to know how many to package up and for maintaining the brew later on.
Brad, Chappo, Scruffy, Geoff, Paul, and anyone who's indicated that they are doing a brew in this thread can take it that I have your names already...

Cheers
Ben

Guys,

We will be putting together premixed packs of ingredients as per Ian's recipe + 1 x 19L keg (keg will be uncleaned, so you will need to clean & sanitise thoroughly). Single batches only please as we want to include as many different members as possible & will be limiting to 20 batches. Inclusion will be on a first come first in basis - So email Ben asap if you want in, please also advise whether you wish the grains to be milled or not. Once we have a final list of paticipants we'll advise who's in & availabillity of your packs.

Cheers

Ross
Brewmaster.

Count me in too. Email sent.

To help with scheduling, is there any idea yet on when the packs might be ready to pick up?

Cheers,
Kris.

Count me in too. Email sent.

To help with scheduling, is there any idea yet on when the packs might be ready to pick up?

Cheers,
Kris.

As soon as we have the 20 people confirmed, we should be able to start making up the packs.

cheers Ross

So, what's our timing on this project? Just trying to work out how to fit this in between the mini-comp brew and the winter warmer, etc....

Also, it's not easy for me to get out to the Craftbrewer shop - are we able to get the ingredients brought in for the next BABBs meeting?

- Snow

Guys who are on the thread, make sure you email me, even though I said earlier that I had your names!
We've opened the list up to all members, not just who frequent here, to make it fairer, so email [email protected] ASAP!!

Cheers
Ben

Guys who are on the thread, make sure you email me, even though I said earlier that I had your names!
We've opened the list up to all members, not just who frequent here, to make it fairer, so email [email protected] ASAP!!

Cheers
Ben

I am guessing that a confirmation email will be sent once the list is finalised?

Cheers

Chap Chap

So, what's our timing on this project? Just trying to work out how to fit this in between the mini-comp brew and the winter warmer, etc....

Also, it's not easy for me to get out to the Craftbrewer shop - are we able to get the ingredients brought in for the next BABBs meeting?

- Snow

Snow,

Delivery by the March meeting to either Babbs or the CraftBrewer Shop.
We have the fresh yeast here now, so would like to see these started within the next 2 weeks max. We can hand out the packs at Babbs, but you'd need to be brewing straight after.

Cheers Ross

Snow,

Delivery by the March meeting to either Babbs or the CraftBrewer Shop.
We have the fresh yeast here now, so would like to see these started within the next 2 weeks max. We can hand out the packs at Babbs, but you'd need to be brewing straight after.

Cheers Ross

No worries,

I just realised I'll need to come over to get by bulk buy grain next weekend, so I'll pick up the wild brew pack then and probably brew the next day.

- Snow

Somoeone told me my name is on the list ^_^ , so I guess I'm in.

Somoeone told me my name is on the list ^_^ , so I guess I'm in.

No ones in until they've emailed Ben & then had their inclusion confirmed.

Cheers Ross

edit: Damn you Ben, get back to work B)

Are we still waiting for more people to sign up or have names been confirmed?

Sorry for being inpatient :ph34r:

I entered the recipe into Beersmith last night and it hit all the specs for a 20L batch size BUT the way my system works is that batch size figure is my post-boil volume. I know from experience I lose around 3L in cooling shrinkage, trub and chiller/tubing. So I will only get ~17L into the fermenter and then following further evaporation and yeast cake losses would likely get ~16L into the keg. For my own recipes I would counter this by going to a 23 or 24L batch size but given the kit's we'll be given are a fixed size I can't do that without dropping the OG. How are others planning to handle this??

I entered the recipe into Beersmith last night and it hit all the specs for a 20L batch size BUT the way my system works is that batch size figure is my post-boil volume. I know from experience I lose around 3L in cooling shrinkage, trub and chiller/tubing. So I will only get ~17L into the fermenter and then following further evaporation and yeast cake losses would likely get ~16L into the keg. For my own recipes I would counter this by going to a 23 or 24L batch size but given the kit's we'll be given are a fixed size I can't do that without dropping the OG. How are others planning to handle this??

Although I haven't entered it in yet I planned on adjusting up with a little bit of base malt and sugar or down with water, depending on how far I was out. I expect there will be lots of variations so if it was close enough I wasn't going to bother.

Then again I have my batch size set to the post boil volume as well, so I was probably going to set it to 23/24 as you've said.

Obviously the recipe is set up for a beersmith or whatever that includes the losses already?

I don't know that it will be that important in the end, as everybody will get variations in efficiency etc.

Latest posts

Back