Australian IPA

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Kimbo said:
Anyone remember what Alpha pale ale tasted like 10+ years ago? When that 1st came out man that was a beer, big and malty, super bitter....when I think of Australian IPA's that had to be up there. It's totally changed now though
Alpha was a pure American Pale ale all the way though. Nothing but lovely Cascade hops. It was a great beer, not really an Australian take on a style though.

Australian ipa to me would be refreshing and easy to drink on a hot day, whilst still having a good smattering of hop flavour. A light Australian base malt maybe bb pale or pils with about 20% bb wheat. Lower in alcohol 4.5 - 5% Around 40 ibu and a good whack of galaxy and ella

I think you're getting a bit mixed up here..... If you want to name a beer style "NEW" it needs to differ from the existing styles by more than its origin.
American IPA'S are distinctly different from English IPA'S but it doesn't really have anything to do with WHERE they were brewed.
As far as i can tell, you are talking about an "ALL AUSTRALIAN IPA" not an "australian IPA" per se

Didn't read the whole thread but maybe it could be a smash with 20 % sugar and a lager yeast or us-05 fermented cold with the ibu's around 50
One single hop addition at 40 mins

Necro, - ESB have the "style" in this year's comp.

I recently acquired a few free samples of HPA Aussie hops such as Mosaic and Ella, and already have POR and Galaxy, so thinking of running up an Aussie IPA as I can't think of any other styles to use them in and I prefer UK Bitters for my normal strength ales.

Looking at the ESB guidelines It's all about the hops and the malt needs to be there, but clean, so I've shied away from either Coopers bottled or my collection of Wyeasts that could introduce esters etc that could muddy the waters, but have packs of US-05 and S04.

Any thoughts on which one? I like the idea of SO4 being more flocculent.

I've use the 009, not as estery as the Coopers although it's supposed to be the same strain. Could be a goer.

OOps - Topaz shoulda gone to Specsavers :lol:

I'd forgotten about this thread, I still question the apparent need for Australian based ingredients to make it an Ozzie ipa. Ie I can brew an American iPa without a single American ingredient but it's still an American ipa.

A coopers sparkling with 40-50 ibus would be my Ozzie ipa

Bribie G said:
Looking at the ESB guidelines It's all about the hops and the malt needs to be there, but clean, so I've shied away from either Coopers bottled or my collection of Wyeasts that could introduce esters etc that could muddy the waters, but have packs of US-05 and S04.

Any thoughts on which one? I like the idea of SO4 being more flocculent.
Can I suggest wyeast 2565

I did an "Aussie" IPA with 92.5% ale malt, 7.5% Carared, with 70ibus of topaz and Galaxy, mostly in whirlpool. Dry hopped with 2g/l each of galaxy and topaz, using WLP009.

Turned out alright, biggest problem was that it was cloudy as all heck and hasn't settled even with being in the fridge for a week.

Topaz notes say piney/resinous, but the flavours I got was a dankish passion fruit. So not sure if that hop combo is the best.

Having said that, it was nice, just not the best IPA I've had (it is the first I've made so maybe someone with more experience could turn it out better)

Yup I woke up to the Topaz, I was going to use it to dry hop but as the Hop Products Australia site itself suggests, it can be grassy and muddy unless used in a very high gravity beer. I used it as an in-boil addition but will only be using Galaxy and Ella in the dry hopping schedule.

BTW I stuck with my original plan and used S-04 as I had a packet but if it turns out ok I'll definitely try other yeasts, I reckon that even Wyeast Irish Ale might do the trick as it's a very clean fermenting yeast.

Hey Bribie, sounds great!
One thing though, and I'm pretty sure you'd be a truckload more aware/knowledgeable about this than me, but what about the impact the yeast has on hops both in flavour and bitterness? A comparison of a group-brewed Pliny the elder clone fermented with us05, 1056 (I know they're meant to be the same) & 1272 showed up huge differences between the 1272 & the other 2. Both in much stronger fruit flavours and stronger bitterness.
I would've thought s04 might've reduced the hops flavours a little/lot. Though I have no experience with it myself, I'd admit.

I could throw in my next beer as in this style. Victoria Hops all the way. Local (Powels Malts) Damb they have a nutty individuality.
Coopers cultured yeast. What other true Australian yeast is there? I'll take their dry yeast no worries.
All in the balance range of say English IPA.
Edit: Or the full hog range of American IPA.
:chug:

Takes an unrelated thread off topic to start a debate. We need a troll emoticon.

good4whatAlesU said:
I think newer brewers are more likely to be confused by calling a 'hoppy beer' an Ale.
mate it is an ale. thats the end of the discussion. you are just trolling now.
last warning on it.
thread cleaned from off topic crap. lets stick to aussie IPA shall we not what historically was an ale.

Ales smails, let's talk about making an Australian IPA. Must be 6% and have POR.

On the topic of yeasts, the 'beautiful truth' web site lists a number of different Australian beers with a "unique Australian ale yeast". It'd be interesting to know what these are or are closely related to.

Vini2ton said:
Ales smails, let's talk about making an Australian IPA. Must be 6% and have POR.
I had been thinking about his for a long time:

23L
2.6 kg BB pale ale
2.0 kg Vienna
1.5 kg Aurora
0.6kg Redback
0.35kg Shepard's Delight

30g POR 60 mins

20g Vic Secret 10 mins
20g Ella 10 mins
20g Melba 10 mins

20g Galaxy 0 mins
15g Vic Secret 0 mins
15g Ella 0 mins

Dry - 25g Galaxy
25 g Ella
25 g Melba

Recultured Coopers Commercial yeast

Aussie Hops. We always Claim NZ stuff as our own so use Gladfield Malt. Aussie Pale malt. German grain (German heritage of SA).
Red colour because we are the Sunburnt country.

Gainbill ordered.

TheWiggman said:
On the topic of yeasts, the 'beautiful truth' web site lists a number of different Australian beers with a "unique Australian ale yeast". It'd be interesting to know what these are or are closely related to.

The people at Grain and Grape put up a linky to a really interesting paper on the history of yeast domestication. From what this says, Australian ale strains would have to be descendents of strains brought here from England in colonial times.

I know CUB used to have a culture collection which included strains from Australian breweries. It included at least the strain used to produce ales at the Kent Brewery, IIRC it was known as "O" strain ( O for old I think). *

* Factoid: CUB used to be very proud of the fact that their type culture collection was used to re-establish the strains for some European breweries after WW2. I believe Carlsberg was one which is a lovely bit of history given that Carlsberg was the site of the original brewing yeast identification.

Definitely yes yeast brought out from the UK.

My 4th great grandfather was a captain in the East India Company (1799 - 1815). He came out to the colonies and started a brewery in 1844 and would have had a very good idea of what an Indian Pale Ale was. Although I'm not so sure the term "Australian Indian Pale Ale" would be the vernacular I would choose to apply. Possibly Australian Pale Ale, or Australian Hoppy Beer is more to the point but the style of a beer brewed with a pale malt and a lot of hops was familiar to military men and troopers serving in the colonies at the time.

Lets see how this post goes, my last was deleted with a warning point so I have added some context.

Latest posts

Back