Australian IPA

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

Would like to here peoples ideas and suggestions on what an Australian IPA should be. I have often thought of doing one but without having something to aim for I havnt bothered.

This thread from the ESB club, http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/77589-its-the-2014-extra-special-brewers-homebrew-competition/ , has got me inspired and would like peoples thought on ingredients and commercial examples. Although I have linked to the comp that ESB are running, I am more asking for personal opinions on what an Aussie IPA is.

The guys at ESB have done a great job of a style guideline as per below. My question is how does/should it differ from its American and English counterparts.

Australian India Pale Ale
OG 1.056 - 1.075
IBU 40 – 70+
SRM 6 - 15
FG 1.010 - 1.018

ABV 5.5 – 7.5%

Aroma - A prominent to intense hop aroma with a citrusy, or tropical fruit
character derived from Australian hops. Many versions are dry hopped and
can have an additional grassy aroma, although this is not required.
Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected. Some clean
malty sweetness may be found in the background, but should be at a lower
level than in English examples. Some alcohol may be noted.

Appearance - Colour ranges from medium gold to medium copper; some
versions can have an orange-ish tint. Should be clear, although unfiltered
dry-hopped versions may be a bit hazy. Good head stand with white to offwhite
colour should persist.

Flavour - Hop flavour is medium to high, and should reflect an Australian
hop character with citrusy, and/or tropical fruit aspects. Medium-high to very
high hop bitterness, although the malt backbone will support the strong hop
character and provide the best balance. Malt flavour should be low to
medium, and is generally clean and malty sweet although some caramel or
toasty flavours are acceptable at low levels. No diacetyl. The bitterness may
linger into the aftertaste but should not be harsh. Medium-dry to dry finish.
Some clean alcohol flavour can be noted in stronger versions. Oak and Rye
are inappropriate in this style.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, medium-light to medium-bodied mouthfeel without
hop-derived astringency, although moderate to medium-high carbonation can
combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt
sweetness. Some smooth alcohol warming can and should be sensed in
stronger (but not all) versions. Body is generally less than in English
counterparts.

Impression - A hop forward strong Australian pale ale, with prominent
citrus and/or tropical fruit flavours with a dry finish.

Ingredients - Well-modified pale malt plus a touch of pale crystal and
wheat. Australian hops are necessary. Late hop additions recommended.
Australian yeast or English yeast that provides some complementary esters.

Don't really want to get into the whole "If its grown here, it can go in an Aussie IPA" argument. That would mean that if I make an aussie pale ale I can use any hops grown in Australia which would not be to style.

There is a big difference between the American and English IPA, how should an Aussie one be different?

Cheers

I personally believe that to make an Australian IPA, you need to use all Australian ingredients. In particular I think that you need to use our unique ingredients, namely POR and galaxy and a coopersesque yeast. I guess it's pretty hard to define these things but I think provenance is important, as is using ingredients known internationally for their 'Australianess' in a fledgling style. That being said I could be full of crap, who knows??

Edit: I also think stylistcally we are a bit of a US/UK hybrid in some respects. Again, could be FOS.

I personally believe that to make an Australian IPA, you need to use all Australian ingredients. In particular I think that you need to use our unique ingredients, namely POR and galaxy and a coopersesque yeast. I guess it's pretty hard to define these things but I think provenance is important, as is using ingredients known internationally for their 'Australianess' in a fledgling style. That being said I could be full of crap, who knows??
Yes I was thinking

Galaxy malt

Wheat malt

Oats, yes oats

Crystal

Chocolate malt

Vic Secret FWH

POR @ 30

Vic Secret @ 5

Galaxy @ whirlpool

Topaz dry

Coopers Yeast

Have not used galaxy or topaz

We'll I haven't used topaz myself, but galaxy at whirlpool is great IMHO. What yeast did you have in mind? You know thinking about the history of the Australian beer scene, perhaps an Australian India Pale Lager would be the go??

Bollox to cooper's yeast.. Does raise an interesting point though, with limitations on the hops, limitations on the yeast should also have been placed to 'even the field'..

For me, limited or no crystal's, fairly dry so a low to medium stepped mash, probably no greater than 50 - 60 IBU. No more than 30℅ of the IBU early, the rest late.. Very late.

Mostly traditional malt with a good whack of wheat to give a nice creamy head, I'd like to say a bit of Munich and or buscit for malt depth... But won't..

Better?

Aussie hops....
here is a wiki list...
Ella
Feux-Coeur Francais
Pride of Ringwood
Rakau
Sticklebract
Summer
Super Pride
Topaz
Vic Secret

Yeast..well i reckon coopers is a bit on the avg side..so i'd go us-05 ...clean
And i'd hazard a guess we should be using Aussie malt...but i reckon Marris lol...and some wheat and of course good old joe white crystal
Cheers
Ferg

Just so we are on the same page, are we talking coopers bottle yeast not packet?

I get a lovely pear note from coopers bottle yeast, should go well with the hops?

Should suit the climate so lower alc like ik but drier and less crystal than uk
Should ne more options than just coopers for yeast though.

bradsbrew said:
Just so we are on the same page, are we talking coopers bottle yeast not packet?
I get a lovely pear note from coopers bottle yeast, should go well with the hops?
Yep, keep it reasonably cool and you will get plenty of pear, but not over the top. Also agree with the lower ABV.

Latest posts

Back