Australian IPA

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are way OT now but I would just advise that when you do one it will need to be aged, preferably in an ex spirit barrel and be mature to drink maybe next Christmas. Think of Stout but more like a port or a serious Liqueur, thick and slightly cloying, a bit of heat from being 11 - 13 percent ABV or more. Its a fair old bunger in a barrel of a drink.

technobabble66 said:
Hey.
Whoa.
Back it up there a second,

"... strainS from Australian brewerieS ..."

So you're saying they have multiple strains from various Aussie breweries over the decades?

Danscraftbeer said:
Who's going to fund such a thing as an Australian brewers yeast laboratory?...
As stated, CUB used to fund such a thing and were very proud of it. I remember it being in the bunker at Bouverie St.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that Toohey's had one as well and maybe some of the others.

It used not to be uncommon that big breweries did major research but it all got rationalised away when greed was good.

I'm pretty sure there's still a major yeast collection in Australia; the wine yeast collection at the AWRI. I once asked them if they had a Voile strain from the Jura (a pretty rare wine yeast) and they didn't. I don't think they have any brewing strains.

Here goes.

Sunburnt Country IPA

1475800217806.jpg

1475800230935.jpg

mtb said:
You got it in Beersmith? Care to share it to the cloud?
I'm toying with late hop additions. So final recipe will be uploaded later today.

I have beersmith mobile.

How do I add dry hop additions so they are not flame out additions?

I adjusted the recipe as brewed on Beersmith. Hop boil and dry hop additions should be correct now.

Haven't got Beersmith dialed in quite correctly. I'll have to check my settings.

Ended up with 24L 1.058 OG

Will be about 6.5% bottled. Not too bad.

The aroma is pretty good. Have not dry hopped yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

SG has hit 1.018 so a few more points to drop. Hydro sample tasted good. Should be a cracking beer.

kunfaced said:
Can I suggest wyeast 2565
What a great suggestion

I love 2565 :icon_drool2:

Plus these days there are more Aussie hops to choose from but that yeast is great nearly on its own

3 days in bottle. Went "fffffft" but very little carbonation and still a bit of hazy yeast suspension.

The hydro sample on bottling day was fully dark brown due to the yeast. Starting to look reddish in hue. Expecting good things colour-wise.

Hop combination is a winner. Delicious.

1477368482883.jpg

The picture makes it look more red than it really is.

Is has a red hue I must have made a mistake with mash/sparge volumes and concentated/diluted the red from the mash.

1477710844200.jpg

1477710854169.jpg

Looking at the recipe on BS now - did you enter the Measured Final Gravity or has it defaulted to 1.010? Estimated was 1.003 (very dry for an IPA)

mtb said:
Looking at the recipe on BS now - did you enter the Measured Final Gravity or has it defaulted to 1.010? Estimated was 1.003 (very dry for an IPA)
It hit 1.014 with the Coopers yeast. I haven't dialed in the Coopers Commercial yeast in Beersmith properly. I slightly under pitched I think.

It is deffo red enough to call a red IPA but not the same hue as the mash. I'll put a few bottles in the back of the fridge for a week to drop all the yeast out and see if it makes a difference.

Nothing wrong with the flavour though.

fergthebrewer said:
Aussie hops....
here is a wiki list...
Ella
Feux-Coeur Francais
Pride of Ringwood
Rakau
Sticklebract
Summer
Super Pride
Topaz
Vic Secret

Yeast..well i reckon coopers is a bit on the avg side..so i'd go us-05 ...clean
And i'd hazard a guess we should be using Aussie malt...but i reckon Marris lol...and some wheat and of course good old joe white crystal
Cheers
Ferg
I Thought Rakau was a kiwi hop? :blink:

Back