Anzac Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Category Styles (Beers can only be entered in the listed Styles avail. from the website)
see I read GMKs OP and thought there was a website

edit:

no worries. so how many entrys are we allowed

CM2
This is a link to the details from this years comp.http://www.tanundashow.org.au/main_homebrewedbeer.htm

Nothing there about next year or the Anzac Category.

Cheers
Nige

As for the BJCP certified judges, that will most likely change. Unless of course we can send a Limo to pick up and return <_< everything clashed because of dates last year so who knows what may happen this year. But IMO and it is just that, I would like to see at least one cert judge. Boy did I have a hell of a time trying to judge last year :( Heres the guidlines now go for it, in a manner of speaking that is.

Back Yard Brewer

As for the BJCP certified judges, that will most likely change. Unless of course we can send a Limo to pick up and return <_< everything clashed because of dates last year so who knows what may happen this year. But IMO and it is just that, I would like to see at least one cert judge. Boy did I have a hell of a time trying to judge last year :( Heres the guidlines now go for it, in a manner of speaking that is.

Back Yard Brewer

Luke had to make you judge last year. As a steward you were drinking the beer before the judges got it!

Luke had to make you judge last year. As a steward you were drinking the beer before the judges got it!

Nup, not the most professional display I have put on :( but I was new to the game of Stewarding / Judging. Will make my own rules for next year........ stay away from the Belgian and Strong Ale class.
Not drinking just tasting.

BYB

snipped>
......Unless of course we can send a Limo to pick up and return

I like this idea or any idea that does not involve me driving, one possiblty although not great but doable would be a pick up from gawler train station and dropped back. Anyway thats proberly subject for a different thread.

The way i see this working is having a box on every entry form in which you tick if you used all australian/NZ ingredients. Each beer gets judged in its correct style section then the highest scoring beer with the boxed ticked is the winner. You could even take top 5 boxed ticked beers and have a BOS style round maybe.

Personally I think yeast should be open to anything.

One problem I see with judging a specific round of these beers is there is no guidelines other than the base style, guidelines are about what a beer should taste like and have nothing to do with what ingredients should be used, I have said it before if you can hit the style guidelines out of dirty dishwashing water and stinging nettles then so be it. Its what it tastes like, a judge has no need to know how it was made.

well Wayne stipulated in OP, that the recipe must be included for publishing. so by providing the recipe you are by defualt agreeing that all Aust/NA ingredients are being used? (assuming that people dont stray and are upfront about straying).

no style guides might be interesting. hence my question about how many entries. normally 2 per style. but there are no styles?

One problem I see with judging a specific round of these beers is there is no guidelines other than the base style, guidelines are about what a beer should taste like and have nothing to do with what ingredients should be used, I have said it before if you can hit the style guidelines out of dirty dishwashing water and stinging nettles then so be it. Its what it tastes like, a judge has no need to know how it was made.

That is one thing I have discussed with many brewers over time. Yes there are some guidelines that say you should use this you should use that blah blah blah. In the end (yes jayse) as long as the judge regards it to be in style who am I to argue. Makes me sit back and think whether I need so many hops and specialties.

Forget who it was, may have been the NSW or QLD state brewing champion from a snippet on the ANHC website, Quote" just keep it simple" End quote

BYB

The way i see this working is having a box on every entry form in which you tick if you used all australian/NZ ingredients. Each beer gets judged in its correct style section then the highest scoring beer with the boxed ticked is the winner. You could even take top 5 boxed ticked beers and have a BOS style round maybe.

I like that point Jayse. We're flying blind a little with this idea as no-one, at least to my knowledge, has done it before. I'm sure we will look back afterwards and say "We could have done this, or that...". I was leaning to judging it in the way you've mentioned there and if we find that it doesn't work, well we'll change it, simple as that. It's certainly not "my way or the highway", Im glad people have expressed interest in the idea and are offering up their thoughts and opinions and if it provokes a little debate, all the better I say!
The issue this year with judging was timing with the long weekend and that's fine. Unfortunately next year's show will again be the weekend after the long weekend in March and I have to keep the show committee happy, as we're not an independent comp. These details are still being worked out and whomever is available to judge is more than welcome, if not, no biggy.

That is one thing I have discussed with many brewers over time. Yes there are some guidelines that say you should use this you should use that blah blah blah. In the end (yes jayse) as long as the judge regards it to be in style who am I to argue. Makes me sit back and think whether I need so many hops and specialties.

Forget who it was, may have been the NSW or QLD state brewing champion from a snippet on the ANHC website, Quote" just keep it simple" End quote

BYB
:icon_offtopic: kinda..
Funny I should read this tonight, cos a few minutes ago I was trying to build a recipe, but....
Say I had a cracker Kolsh, only it wasn't QUITE a kolsh (wrong yeast RIGHT flavour) and I felt the need to plug some holes in the flavour profile with a touch of some hops that were SO FAR out of style as to be kinda funny, who's to say it's not a KOLSH? We're talking minute amounts of said hop but is it DISHONEST nonetheless?

Lloydie

Wy 1388 is great substitute for Coopers yeast plus it makes a GREAT starter for a real Belgian ale.

cheers

Darren

snipped>
.....I like that point Jayse. We're flying blind a little with this idea as no-one

There is a idea in it for sure, I can imagine you might have to reel GMK in now and again though with some of his ideas :lol:
I like the tick the box idea, it ends up being what ever beer scores the highest in the whole comp which used all australian and new zealand ingredients.
You can make any style with local ingredients.

:icon_offtopic: kinda..
Funny I should read this tonight, cos a few minutes ago I was trying to build a recipe, but....
Say I had a cracker Kolsh, only it wasn't QUITE a kolsh (wrong yeast RIGHT flavour) and I felt the need to plug some holes in the flavour profile with a touch of some hops that were SO FAR out of style as to be kinda funny, who's to say it's not a KOLSH? We're talking minute amounts of said hop but is it DISHONEST nonetheless?

Lloydie

doesn't matter how you make it, if you can strain out your grandpa's gardening pants and make it taste like kolsch well cool. :lol: :super:

Wy 1388 is great substitute for Coopers yeast plus it makes a GREAT starter for a real Belgian ale.

cheers

Darren

i agree on this one, Coopers and Belgian yeasts have a bit in common...

But for me yeast shouldn't make up the 'style'. While yeasts can add a lot to the flavour you could use a yeast not suited to a particular style and still be 'in style'. So the use of uses that would be ideal for the climate would be the go in my opinion, those that can produce nice beers at higher temps (belg saison, Biere de Garde and the farmhouse selections)...otherwise coopers and 1026 is good :D

(jayse @ Aug 27 2009, 11:27 PM)
There is a idea in it for sure, I can imagine you might have to reel GMK in now and again though with some of his ideas

As long as the chain is short and the choker is tight and the muzzle is on, we should be right, but Lord help us if breaks loose and gets out amongst to poor unsuspecting public it'll be carnage absolute carnage.... :eek: and I ain't staying back to clean up the mess either :lol:

doesn't matter how you make it, if you can strain out your grandpa's gardening pants and make it taste like kolsch well cool.

So you have had one of Kenny's beer before then.... :lol:

As long as the chain is short and the choker is tight and the muzzle is on, we should be right, but Lord help us if breaks loose and gets out amongst to poor unsuspecting public it'll be carnage absolute carnage.... :eek: and I ain't staying back to clean up the mess either :lol:

So you have had one of Kenny's beer before then.... :lol:

That cahin and chocker is known as the MeerKat Control Chain - looks like you got off it again...

LOL.....you know what they say - Once an Apprentice....Always a............

That cahin and chocker is known as the MeerKat Control Chain - looks like you got off it again...

LOL.....you know what they say - Once an Apprentice....Always a............

That's right GRAND MASTER KENNY (as you like to call yourself) I must admit you have got me there, I am only a learner trying to learn how to make a good beer. If that makes me a lowly apprentice in your eye's then so be it. My trophy cabinet isn't full of shiney silverware like yours is and I don't have the national notoriety that you have. I've never produced an award winning Barley Wine or a nice bar with a 6 tap font. But hey I'm always open to try something new, and am willing to learn from the thousands of brewers out there who are far better then I will ever be and I'm OK with that.

But hey to be as good as you like to say you are GRAND MASTER KENNY it must be very very lonely up their at the top where you are.
You inspire all lowly apprentice around the world like myself to reach out to the dizzy heights of your brewing excellence.

I can only ever wish to be as good as you......GRAND MASTER KENNY :(

That's right GRAND MASTER KENNY (as you like to call yourself) I must admit you have got me there, I am only a learner trying to learn how to make a good beer. If that makes me a lowly apprentice in your eye's then so be it. My trophy cabinet isn't full of shiney silverware like yours is and I don't have the national notoriety that you have. I've never produced an award winning Barley Wine or a nice bar with a 6 tap font. But hey I'm always open to try something new, and am willing to learn from the thousands of brewers out there who are far better then I will ever be and I'm OK with that.

But hey to be as good as you like to say you are GRAND MASTER KENNY it must be very very lonely up their at the top where you are.
You inspire all lowly apprentice around the world like myself to reach out to the dizzy heights of your brewing excellence.

I can only ever wish to be as good as you......GRAND MASTER KENNY :(

:ph34r: Reckon it may be time to duck for cover :eek: Better still fellows how about you both get in the ring and slug it out. Could use the YOUTUBE for coverage. May even enjoy a beer if someone can go the distance :lol:

Can we now get back on topic? ( Bloody apprentices )

BYB

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT :D

Any update on this ANZAC challenge? I'm keen on doing something for the comp and would be extra keen to go ANZAC on the entries.

Latest posts

Back