Anzac Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Hi All Fellow Brewers...

For next years Tanunda Show - we are thinking of adding the ANZAC Challenge.
Description is below....

We were wondering how well our Idea will be received and what you guys think... :rolleyes:
All feedback welcome..
Now where did I put my Flame Suit - forgot to buy another one as the last was burned to a cinder.... :ph34r:

Happy for sponsors to come forward and anyone can enter theh Tanunda Show :)

clip_image002.jpg

ANZAC Challenge ~ Tanunda Show ~ 13 Mar 2010

Prologue ~
Carving their lives out of a harsh, sunburnt land early Australians laid the foundation for our nation through their hard work, blood, sweat and beers. Australia has always been at the forefront of ingenuity and resourcefulness; the early settlers adapting and shaping the knowledge and skills they brought from their homeland to suit their new environment. During WWI the legend of the ANZAC spirit was born, a bond between Australian and New Zealand soldiers encompassing endurance, courage, ingenuity, good humour, and, of course, mate ship. These qualities are an integral part of our psyche and it is with this in mind that the idea of the ANZAC Challenge was born. When local home brewers, Luke Willis & Ken Jermey got together to discuss the latest example of yet another American Pale Ale clone produced by an Australian micro-brewery the spark of an idea fizzled through their hazy minds. Australian and New Zealand in recent years are producing some of the New Worlds best hop varieties, we have access to great locally produced malt and we as beer drinkers are yearning for a beer to call our own. The debate of what is an Australian beer is one that echoes through many a watering hole across the land.

The ANZAC challenge as a part of the 2010 Tanunda Show Home Brew Competition encourages home brewers to dig deep and use their own ingenuity to create an ANZAC beer. The beer must be brewed with Australian or New Zealand ingredients, but most importantly it must be the essence of the ANZAC spirit; endurance, courage, ingenuity, good humour and mate ship. It is our desire that home brewers across the country will embrace this idea and start to produce beers that rival the Americans in intensity and push the boundaries the traditionalists in Europe dont dare. It is our even loftier goal that Australia carves out an entirely new beer style that home brewers around the world will be trying to emulate.

Category Styles (Beers can only be entered in the listed Styles avail. from the website)
ANZAC CHALLENGE (AG Service)

Any Style but base style must be identified.
Only using Aus Ingredients including:~Aussie/NZ hops, grains, adjuncts & yeast.

(Must Include the recipe for publishing)

ANZAC CHALLENGE (Ration Pack)

Only using Aus/NZ KITS (Coopers, Morgans, Black Rock, Cascade) & Aussie/NZ hops, grains, adjuncts & yeast.

(Must Include the recipe for publishing)

I think it's a good idea.

By Aussie yeast we are limited to Coopers or Mauribrew readily available dry yeast only?

Wyeast do make an Aussie ALe yeast...

And i think whitelabs do...

But you can cultivate from Coopers...

There are laws about using the ANZAC name for commercial gain, which still needs to be considered even if the show is run as 'not-for-profit'
I'd be running it past the members at the local RSL and make sure you're not stepping on any toes. Few people in Perth have gotten into strife with this in the past.

A few months ago there was some discussion on the fourm about what a distinct modern Australian beer style would be like - our equivalent of the American Pale Amber Brown styles that were re-invented in the 1970s and as we know have taken off well.

At that time on the forum, New Zealand hops were mentioned as maybe appropriate as we are just over the ditch from each other. Since then I have brewed a few 'Kiwi Gold' brews to explore a newish style showcasing NZ hops. However apart from the hops, the other ingredients have been Aus sourced so, as such, these beers are definitely Anzac. However I did include a fair bit of maize as they produce a fair amount of that in NZ ( Hobbits getting lost in the corn field :D )

Example:

4000 BB Pale Pilsener
1000 Polenta

66 degrees 90 min

30 NZ Cascade 90 min
20 Bzaaz 10 min

500 Sugar

Mauribrew Lager Yeast fermented 15 degrees, lagered 10 days

Turned out a golden lager with nice hoppiness, some grain, clean finish although a little sweet and nice quaffer.

Something along those lines perhaps? I'll certainly whack up a brew and send a few bottles down for the showl
:icon_cheers:

When local home brewers, Luke Willis & Ken Jermey got together to discuss the latest example of yet another American Pale Ale clone produced by an Australian micro-brewery the spark of an idea fizzled through their hazy minds.
Oi....!!!!! I was there too, you know at that fabled brew day at your place when Luke brought up the idea. With you and all your bloody glory hunting you just can't help yourself can you. Can't you remeber or did have a few too many..... :unsure: mmmmm who had the hazy mind....(did I put the hops in or not?) :unsure: Must say I'm pretty impressed you did actually credited Luke with being there in your speel. I think you also mean fizzed not fizzled which which was what your memory of the day has done :icon_drool2:

Love your work GMKitty......

There are laws about using the ANZAC name for commercial gain, which still needs to be considered even if the show is run as 'not-for-profit'
I'd be running it past the members at the local RSL and make sure you're not stepping on any toes. Few people in Perth have gotten into strife with this in the past.

+1 on this - the use of ANZAC to promote ANYTHING is taken very very seriously (as it should be), so before you go any further with this one, I would strongly urge you to make contact with the RSL and find out what the go is.

edit: not wanting to rain on your parade... I like the idea of the comp as a concept, just gotta be careful with the marketing of it.

you'll need to run it by the STATE RSL not the local RSL.

Good idea, except that I think a donation to the State or local RSL will better your chances at them saying yes. or making free beer avilable to the local diggers.

It is our desire that home brewers across the country will embrace this idea and start to produce beers that rival the Americans in intensity and push the boundaries the traditionalists in Europe don't dare. It is our even loftier goal that Australia carves out an entirely new beer style that home brewers around the world will be trying to emulate.

great idea and I'd be in.

I'd interpret what you want and brew in that guideline but for wider commentary thoughts on the following:

- Are we talking rivalling intensity such as the overhopping of American beers, or intensity in blending hops, malt and YEAST? My vote is for the second, the first is a carbon copy of APA's with Aussie/NZ hops...

- Re yeasts - should be we limiting ourselves to aussie developed yeasts or should be use yeasts such as Biere de Garde and Saison that would be ideal for use in our climate without temp control issues??

- Re pushing boundaries, would this be adopting traditional techniques in new styles or including crazy new things in old styles or both?

Oi....!!!!! I was there too, you know at that fabled brew day at your place when Luke brought up the idea. With you and all your bloody glory hunting you just can't help yourself can you. Can't you remeber or did have a few too many..... :unsure: mmmmm who had the hazy mind....(did I put the hops in or not?) :unsure: Must say I'm pretty impressed you did actually credited Luke with being there in your speel. I think you also mean fizzed not fizzled which which was what your memory of the day has done :icon_drool2:

Love your work GMKitty......

Easy there tiger, or should that be Meerkat.

I wrote the spiel, not GMK and sorry I did forget that you were there that day when we were discussing the idea. So, don't jump down his throat too quickly. I asked GMK to post this here because I didn't have the document at home with me at the time.

In regards to the other comments, I take fully on board what you guys have suggested about the RSL. I certainly don't want to put any noses out of joint, so we'll discuss the best way forward. In terms of yeast, I think we can be more flexible with that one, there's no Aussie Lager yeast that I'm aware of, the main focus is on the malts and hops and the style. We want people to create beers that don't necessarily adhere to the BJCP guidelines, (the horror!), but rather sum up the ANZAC spirit and are for want of a better word "Australian". If it's big and hoppy thats ok, if it's easy drinking for after a hard days work, ala a certain advert, that's cool too. I want to encourage my fellow brewers to be inventive and push the envelope.

Please contact me regarding specific enquiries, GMK and I posted this here to gather feedback and test the level of interest for the idea. No flamers please, just constructive comments and feedback.

Cheers,
Luka
Tanunda Show Home Brew Comp
Convenor

keeping with anzac spirit, we should be able to have any ingredients from UK, etc as the anzacs were a smart bunch, aquiring kit from other regiments when needed!

its a great idea, esp as the Aust & NZ Govts are talking about re-forming the ANZAC relationship.

Wyeast do make an Aussie ALe yeast...

And i think whitelabs do...

But you can cultivate from Coopers...

Last time i checked, Wyeast does not do an Aussie Ale yeast - Linky

You need to have more of a think about the yeast as i see this as the weak part of your comp.

You are restricting brewers to Coopers or something that can be found under the lid of a kit (and Whitelabs which isnt available within cooee of the town where the comp is being held.....)

Where did Coopers yeast originate? Is it a native strain or one that was brought here from the old country?

Category Styles (Beers can only be entered in the listed Styles avail. from the website)
ANZAC CHALLENGE (AG Service)
Only using Aus Ingredients including:~Aussie/NZ hops, grains, adjuncts & yeast.

Without taking the time to look through all of the available styles but the use of the eponymous biscuit or its ingredients should be allowed or encouraged. I'm thinking toasted oats and golden syrup.

So this comp will essentially be beers of any style competing, as long as Australian ingredients are used? I forsee many difficulties when it comes to judging- how can you determine what is better out of an imperial stout and a pilsener?

I think it's a great idea if it takes off, re: use of the "Anzac" word.
To make a decent beer out of recultured Coopers or kit yeast sounds like a great challenge. Hope there's a NSW dropoff point?

It was the WYeast 1026 Cask Ale that was described as being "suitable for IPA's and Australian Ales'

The "ANZAC Challenge" sounds like a good idea, but I agree with both P&C and DR S - it needs to be streamlined, particularly if you are looking to connect or promote the use of the term "ANZAC" which lends itself to ideas of tradition more than modern innovation, which I think is also a great idea so why not incorporate 2 categories reflecting both past and present?

Cheers,
BB

So this comp will essentially be beers of any style competing, as long as Australian ingredients are used? I forsee many difficulties when it comes to judging- how can you determine what is better out of an imperial stout and a pilsener?

I would think it would be like any other comp. The one that finishes with the highest points value after judging would be the winner. I reckon all the Anzac Challenge beer could still go up against every other beer in its own category, the beer would be marked as the Anzac Challenge and then still be eligible on points to take out the Anzac Class.

I think that's what I meant <_<

BYB

I would think it would be like any other comp. The one that finishes with the highest points value after judging would be the winner. I reckon all the Anzac Challenge beer could still go up against every other beer in its own category, the beer would be marked as the Anzac Challenge and then still be eligible on points to take out the Anzac Class.

I think that's what I meant <_<

BYB

Hypothetically- A sweet stout and a red ale both get 45 points. How is the winner decided? It's very difficult when comparing beers of different styles to determine which is "best", you're comparing apples and oranges, to use an overused phrase. The reason why there are categories is because each beer has one set of guidelines to aim at, which ensures ease of judging.

Hypothetically- A sweet stout and a red ale both get 45 points. How is the winner decided? It's very difficult when comparing beers of different styles to determine which is "best", you're comparing apples and oranges, to use an overused phrase. The reason why there are categories is because each beer has one set of guidelines to aim at, which ensures ease of judging.

What normally happens if there is a draw :unsure: in a category in other comps or for that matter any draw?

BYB

Latest posts

Back