Anzac Challenge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hypothetically- A sweet stout and a red ale both get 45 points. How is the winner decided? It's very difficult when comparing beers of different styles to determine which is "best", you're comparing apples and oranges, to use an overused phrase. The reason why there are categories is because each beer has one set of guidelines to aim at, which ensures ease of judging.

This already happens with a BOS show round anyway though, it comes down the overall impression the judges have of the beer.

There are also countback procedures in place, assuming the comp is based on BJCP, or they can develop their own. Flavour and overall impression are generally the most common.

This already happens with a BOS show round anyway though, it comes down the overall impression the judges have of the beer.

There are also countback procedures in place, assuming the comp is based on BJCP, or they can develop their own. Flavour and overall impression are generally the most common.

And judges bias towards a particular style.....

Shit, did i say that out loud? :eek:

And judges bias towards a particular style.....

Shit, did i say that out loud? :eek:

Yes Mate - that style will be AUstralian....

You have freedom to interpret and create - if you think you can make a Bulli Beef/Spam Oat MilkStout - then make one...
Shit, did I say that out load................Dam.....

just don't make the Vegemite Old Ale....

Yes Mate - that style will be AUstralian....

You have freedom to interpret and create - if you think you can make a Bulli Beef/Spam Oat MilkStout - then make one...
Shit, did I say that out load................Dam.....

just don't make the Vegemite Old Ale....

Kenny - any thoughts about the yeast dilemna?

And what style is australian? I thought you said it could be any style?

I shall make an entry for this for sure.

Will follow this thread with interest.

Just be careful not to pour the beer under-arm. The kiwi's still get a bit shirty about that <ducks>

;)

Kenny - any thoughts about the yeast dilemna?

And what style is australian? I thought you said it could be any style?

You're right Smurto, the yeast is a tricky one. I think we will have to either refer to historical data for what yeats were used "back in the day" and where they came from, or open it up so that the yeast can reflect the base style. To be perfectly honest I don't give a stuff what yeast is used, it's more about the malt and hops and overall style. And seeing as I'm the convenor.....

The whole Australian style thing is rather subjective and cannot be determined using BJCP or AABC guidelines, which incedently is what we are using to judge the other categories on, AABC that is. Beers in the ANZAC ctaegory can be judged on their base style, so as to sidestep the issue of judging a Pilsner against and Imperial Stout, but with regards to the overall style issue it is up to the judges and organisers on the day to make that call, same as any other comp as far as I can tell. Guidelines are just that, guidelines. It is still up to the judges to determine if they believe a beer fits them or not and how flexible they are within those guidelines, if that mkaes any sense at all. :unsure:

You're right Smurto, the yeast is a tricky one. I think we will have to either refer to historical data for what yeats were used "back in the day" and where they came from, or open it up so that the yeast can reflect the base style. To be perfectly honest I don't give a stuff what yeast is used, it's more about the malt and hops and overall style. And seeing as I'm the convenor.....

The whole Australian style thing is rather subjective and cannot be determined using BJCP or AABC guidelines, which incedently is what we are using to judge the other categories on, AABC that is. Beers in the ANZAC ctaegory can be judged on their base style, so as to sidestep the issue of judging a Pilsner against and Imperial Stout, but with regards to the overall style issue it is up to the judges and organisers on the day to make that call, same as any other comp as far as I can tell. Guidelines are just that, guidelines. It is still up to the judges to determine if they believe a beer fits them or not and how flexible they are within those guidelines, if that mkaes any sense at all. :unsure:

Exactly the response i was after Luke!

With the potential popularity of this class in the show you may find yourself judging the whole lot! :icon_drunk:

Not sure how it would work in practice, but is there any way to involve people from the RSL in the judging - perhaps either one of them sitting in with the judges in this event, or perhaps a separate category, ie as voted by the RSL on how well the beer encompasses the 'ANZAC spirit'?

Crundle

Not sure how it would work in practice, but is there any way to involve people from the RSL in the judging - perhaps either one of them sitting in with the judges in this event, or perhaps a separate category, ie as voted by the RSL on how well the beer encompasses the 'ANZAC spirit'?

Crundle

special comments from guest judges...I like it.

source some fresh poppies for an anzac d-day beer. :wacko:

ive got a cracker of an idea. is it open to interstate brewers?

Exactly the response i was after Luke!

With the potential popularity of this class in the show you may find yourself judging the whole lot! :icon_drunk:

I'll take one for the team if need be :icon_drunk:

Crundle
I just bought that Idea up today with Luka - ie we get the president of the Tanunda RSL to be Guest ANZAC CHallenge Judge - after all - he is an ANZAC.... :)

As far as I know it is Open to interstate Brewers - but you have to organise your own freight over here...

Yeast - i checked on the Wyeast site - was sure they had an Australian Yeast but could not find one....my prefereance is recultured Coopers Yeast or we nominate say 1026 which I think is the closest to Aus yeast.

DrSmurto & BYB - as Luka said - alot of styles say American Hops etc - so an ANZAC beer will be out of style.

Got asked today if a local who grows his Own CHinook can use them as AUstralian Hops...I think NOT :ph34r:
But then i am not the convenor - only assistant worker bee...Judge CO-ordinator - gopher - entry pick eruper - prize co-ordinator - beer judge - etc..... :rolleyes:

Got asked today if a local who grows his Own CHinook can use them as AUstralian Hops...I think NOT :ph34r:
But then i am not the convenor - only assistant worker bee...Judge CO-ordinator - gopher - entry pick eruper - prize co-ordinator - beer judge - etc..... :rolleyes:

Who said you could be all those things?? <_<

Who said you could be all those things?? <_<

Dam ...thats right there more....

Forgot to mention Sponsorship Assistant Organiser as well... :ph34r:

So, would that also preclude any of the commercially available NZ hop varieties that haven't been modified from their original us/european cultivars?

Last time i checked, Wyeast does not do an Aussie Ale yeast - Linky

You need to have more of a think about the yeast as i see this as the weak part of your comp.

You are restricting brewers to Coopers or something that can be found under the lid of a kit (and Whitelabs which isnt available within cooee of the town where the comp is being held.....)

Where did Coopers yeast originate? Is it a native strain or one that was brought here from the old country?

Smurto,

Whitelabs WLP009 Australian Ale was available as a Platinum strain in Jan & Feb of this year. If it holds the same slot for next year, then it would be in time for the comp.

If subs are allowed, consider: WLP023 Burton Ale

No shop close? Get it via Australia Post Express Post !

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Peter

Am I being dense or can anyone else find the link to the site with all the T&C?

Latest posts

Back