Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well folks I'll be heading to the airport tomorrow and arriving in your fine city on Tuesday. Fairly action packed schedule set for me with a festival (Rainbow Serpent?) and a beach house rented for a few days afterwards (sounds like I'm living the high life!) so I may not be able to join the next get together but I'm very much keen on meeting up as soon as I can. :kooi:

I find it ironic that Phil the owner of Thunder Road will allow Home Brewers in his Brewery, but has banned any professional Brewer from going in there....

So just make sure non of your members decide on a career change in Professional Brewing

Angry Scotsman said:
I find it ironic that Phil the owner of Thunder Road will allow Home Brewers in his Brewery, but has banned any professional Brewer from going in there....

So just make sure non of your members decide on a career change in Professional Brewing
Is that right? I didn't know.

Ok, time to put this (almost) new club to use! I need to restock on Hallertau Mit (got a Kolsch on the list, and I'm always brewing weizens), and will be heading to Grain & Grape later this week to grab some. I see they have 1kg packs for only $59. Great price, but I don't need that much...problem is their next size down is only 80gm, which is too small (and a lot more exxy obviously). Would anyone like to go halves or even thirds in the 1kg with me? I have a vac sealer and bags, so will split and seal them here (Thornbury).

PM me if you're interested, and if you need anything else from G&G I'd be happy to grab it for you while I'm there and save you the trip.

Not to distract from Carniebrew's post - but it seems the only responses to the proposal that the meeting be held on 7 o'clock on the first Tuesday of next month have been positive. I think we may have arrived at a date and time by default.

So:

Meeting date: Tuesday, 4 February, 2014
Time: 7 pm
Venue: Probably Thunder Road Breweries

Sound good?

EDIT: Definitely at Thunder Road Breweries. We have to be out by nine. Will create a facebook event for this soon (but have to rush off now to another bee group meet).

Sorry, Tex!

Carniebrew, I think, suggested earlier that there should be some weekend events too - for things like, for instance, group brew days. I agree. Should be able to discuss this when we meet - perhaps we'll get an idea of stuff we want to do this year then.

Going to create a facebook event for this soon.

When we met at the Alehouse we agreed we'd bring along a brew or two to the next meet and just have some taste tests. I thought it might be a good idea to have someone from another club come along and give a short talk about Stuff Brew Clubs Do. Help stimulate a bit of thought and discussion. :)

I've recently had a couple of batches go bad due to poor temperature management, and am in the process of upgrading operations (to address aforementioned temperature management issues) so I've drunk all of my brews and don't have any to offer :( I'll bring along a couple of my favourite commercial beers though (if it ain't verboten).

From memory, we got a fair few ideas down for activities to do but inviting a member of another club sounds good (assuming you can find someone willing). I'm sure they'll at least have some hints and possibly leads for getting the activities going smoothly.

Charst said:
"Flasher" Brown ale (Rumor of a bloke in the burg giving creek walkers a peek as his action)
"Is that a platypus? yes a dead one" IPA

Actually for a long time been thinking of doing a Merri creek blackberry fruit beer. the creek gets less managed as you head north, Faulkner end has heaps of un sprayed berries.
and they always mark where they have been spraying up our end so I think it'd be safe.
Hello all,

I am a Preston resident, a noob as far as this forum is concerned, and only sporadic brewer, having not ventured beyond the occasional partial mash, though looking to expand my brewing horizons. To this end, I'm keen to jump aboard this brew club malarkey. I am greatly enamored with the various permutations of 'Merri Mashers' etc., though perhaps am biased due to working as the sad prick responsible for spraying the blackberry and co along said creek. I like the way 'Northern Merri Makers' flows, though as a pedant can't help but think it makes the group sound like it comes from Wallan.

technobabble66 said:
The Manly Merri Mashers, then?
Not to be confused with those tossers in the Merry Manly Mashers from Sydney.
And the Judean Peoples Front. Splitters!

Listen if you want to join the Manly Merry Mashers you'd have to really hate the Romans.

People have to remember this club will cover big area of people..North of melbourne and others that want to come along from area's nearby.i would ask staff how to do a poll and put up a few names.

I was thinking it might be better to do the name vote at an actual meeting. Internet polls can be dodgy, and even a poll on AHB could get votes from people who have no intention of being part of the club we're naming.

Why not ask those invested enough to attend what they'd like to be known as? I guess we'll miss a few who can't make it, but you'd hope we'd still have a big enough representation to decide.

Awwww and I was just gunning up for the great Who Will Name The Brew Club Baby Fight of 2014 :beerbang:

all i was asking put up a few names and see what the feeling is.what if you can't attend..bad luck..people tend to forget alot people don't work 9-5....thats my 2 bob's worth

Latest posts

Back