Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been on here for a bit because of work stuff going on. But yep, was in the Thunder Road Brewery tonight and Masako confirmed we're good for the 4th. Marcus won't be there, and not sure about Colin, the head brewer either. Apparently Will Kemper from Chuckanut Brewery is arriving that day, so they'll be no doubt looking after their jet-lagged guest.
Also, unfortunately I'll also be one of those who will be unable to offer any of my own brews on the night. The only thing I brewed recently was another dodgy attempt at a Bohemian Pilsner that didn't go quite as planned (was probably a bit ambitious) so I wouldn't want to embarrass myself by sharing it.
Anyway, what's the general feeling? Do we want to discuss our name on the night, or be fair to those people who can't make it this time and set up a poll here? The list I have so far is
Northern Brewing Club
Northern Brewers
Merri Creek Brewers
Merri Brewers
Merri Mashers
Merri Mashers of Melbourne
Melbourne's Merri Mashers
Manly Merri Mashers
Melbourne Mashers
Melbourne Mash Crew
MMM beer
Coburg & United Brewers
Moreland maltsters
Darebin brew crew
North End Brewers
Northern Merri Makers

Obviously a lot of variations of the same thing there, but gives a few more options.
Also, definitely open to the idea of having a weekend daytime meet soon (next time?) at either a hall (The Railway Neighbourhood House?) or somewhere else. Maybe Temple?

Why don't we survey the attendees on the night, and if there's a large preference for one particular name, go with that. If it's closely split amongst 2 or more names, then it might be worth running an official poll.

Why don't we survey the attendees on the night... If it's closely split amongst 2 or more names, then it might be worth running an official poll.

I'd be happy with that.

The trouble with discussing the name is, the more we do it, the more potential names we come up with.

It seems to really come down to either "Northern Brew Club" or "Merri Mashers". Almost everything else seems to be pretty much derived from those two?

Yes, but I like the compromise solutions - 'Northern Merri Makers' or 'MMM Beer'. The beauty of 'MMM Beer' is we can just let other people make up their minds what the Ms stand for and sit on the fence.

I agree with "Northern Brew(ing) Club" and "Merri Mashers" being the main two. I'm yet to understand the 'makers' one (why'd it'd get picked over mashers)... Apart from 'making' beer, is there some beer-related significance?

Alluding to the phrase, 'Makin' merry!' Kind of a nice idea.

Some folks thought 'Merri' sounded feminine. I'm not phased by that myself. But maybe 'Merri Makers', with the allusion to parties and fun, might have more appeal.

TimT said:
Yes, but I like the compromise solutions - 'Northern Merri Makers' or 'MMM Beer'. The beauty of 'MMM Beer' is we can just let other people make up their minds what the Ms stand for and sit on the fence.
Plus we could get sponsored by dodgy commercial rock radio stations.

Or dodgy flavoured milk brands, dodgy drive-in restaurants, dodgy cheap-imitation Smarties...?

In preparation for the meeting I've been going through some of my beers and doing a taste test of my own. It's hard, thankless, unforgiving work, but someone's got to do it. Oh how I suffer, etc :chug:

Evening all,
So, I was around at Thunder Road today, and had a chat with Phil. He was asking what to expect when our crowd turn up on Tuesday night, as he doesn't know much about how homebrew clubs work. I said neither did I, as this is only our second meeting.
However he had a few things to say about what we can expect, both on Tuesday night and in the future. It has the potential to make other clubs pretty jealous (if it all happens as promised):
First of all, there will be a limited staff there, but we can use the main area of the brewery for our meeting, and there may be sample Thunder Road beers in addition to our own brews.
I'm told there will be brewing related books on sale at discount prices.
If we choose to use the venue again in future, then we may be able to use the pilot brewery in club competitions, where for instance we have two teams competing to brew something.
Phil has various contacts in the brewing world who he could ask to come and judge our competitions (I can't say much, but some of these are fairly well known names in the world of craft beer and brewing).
There is the promise of quantities of fresh hops from e.g. Red Hill, which we can use in our brews.

Now obviously this is all just talk so far, but I have no reason to doubt what has been offered. However you're probably asking what the brewery gets out of this. Well, mainly good publicity, and the chance to engage with the local beer appreciating community. And with that in mind, we must make sure we don't abuse the privilege.
So I would say you can say what you like about Phil Withers, Thunder Road or their beers, but please don't say it at the meeting, or on social media.

I was also asked to set some ground rules, most of which will be pretty obvious:
If anyone comes drunk, gets drunk, or even behaves drunk, the least that will happen is that they will be asked to leave. However we may all be asked to leave and never come back.
Keep it all nice and peaceful and civilised, respect the neighbours and local community, etc.
Stay in the central area, and don't go near the brewhouse, tanks, etc.
Basically remember, we are guests who are not paying a cent for the privilege of using the brewery for at least this meeting. So take that in good faith and respect the owner's wishes.
I know I don't need to say any of this, as I know you're a mature, civilized bunch, but I promised I would, and also that I would vouch for you on the night.

So there, I've said it.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the night, both those who were there at the last meet-up, and the "newbies" (as opposed to us old-timers who were at the last meeting).

Great post, Kevin. Completely agree with everything you've said. And that's absolutely amazing for a second meeting! Great job chatting with Phil and setting that up, and props to Phil for offering the space. I'm yet to try any Thunder road - I could have bought some tonight but got Whale Ale instead :-/ I'll be buying some very soon though, no doubt!

Looking forward to stepping into Thunder Road next Thursday Tuesday!

beermeupscotty said:
Great post, Kevin. Completely agree with everything you've said. And that's absolutely amazing for a second meeting! Great job chatting with Phil and setting that up, and props to Phil for offering the space. I'm yet to try any Thunder road - I could have bought some tonight but got Whale Ale instead :-/ I'll be buying some very soon though, no doubt!

Looking forward to stepping into Thunder Road next Thursday!
Surely you mean Tuesday, right? :p
Also agree with the post of Kevin. Sounds like a generous offer from thunder road. Looking forward to the meeting, just wish I had some brews to share (bit tricky travelling with kegs, though MIGHT manage it if I get a new part or 2).

Ah. Yes. Tuesday. Can you believe I even checked TimT's post and my calendar before writing that post? I blame the wheat beer.

I finally finished my STC-1000 this week so I should get a brew down by Tuesday and possibly have one for March's meeting (although it might be slightly premature). I'll also have some matured brews from a hot period without temp control but I can't say I have much faith in those...

Back