Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomsaleius

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I live in Brunswick, to the north of Melbourne. I have a young family, a 9 to 5 job and a missus who, despite my best efforts, has little interest in beer. I therefore brew infrequently, and have to earn enough brownie points by letting her go out with her friends and stuff in order to earn a brew day every so often.

However I reckon my missus would support me getting out now and then to a club, with other like-minded home brewers. Trouble is, it would have to be very close to where I live, or be easy to get to by public transport. Having made enquiries, I don't think there is anything too close. However I meet people interested in home brewing every other day around Brunswick, and I believe there would be an interest in such a club.

Now the really interesting part..

I happen to live on the same street as the Thunder Road Brewery, and know most of the brewers, and the owner, Phil, pretty well. Phil has indicated to me that were a club to be started locally, he would consider allowing the use of the brewery's premises and extensive library, and possibly even the pilot brewery now and then.
I also know Ron and Renata Feruglio of Temple Brewery fairly well, and know they would be supportive of a local brewing club.

So anyway, just putting the feelers out to see who else might be interested. If there are sufficient numbers showing interest, then maybe we can take this further? I know I'm an infrequent visitor to this site, but it's obviously the right forum for organising something like this.

Thanks for reading.

Kevin

Yeah mate sounds sweet as!
I was just reading about a home brew club who's members brewed the same stout and all chipped in to buy a whiskey barrel and had home brew stout aged in whiskey barrels! Now that's something you can't do on your own.
I'm in Pascoe Vale South an also keen, I do shift work so my appearances are random.
I believe if you speak to Carnibrew he was also keen.

If we could secure the brewery that would be sweet, if not we could approach the Ale House. Book a table and discuss beers once a month.
Tex

Make that a yes from me too! I'm in Lalor. Nearest brew club to us would be the Worthogs in Greensborough, but I'm in Brunswick quite often. My email's on my profile wall but if you're making a list then I'll send you one or two contact details via PM. Great idea!

I have been meaning to post the same question for some time now, but haven't gotten around to it. At their last craft beer tasting I spoke with the manager of Carwyn Cellars (Ben) in Thornbury, he's a keen homebrewer too and wants in. I think there's a bit of a gap in this area, with Worthogs in the outer North East, and the Westgate guys over the bridge.

A few of the guys from the recent bulk buy at Plasdene seemed keen too, so it looks like we should give it a go. It'd be great to get someone who's been involved in a brew club previously to jump on board and help out , 'coz I've never been part of a brew club before so I'm not sure how they're normally put together, and what they get up to?

Kevin I'll send you a PM, maybe we could get together over a beer and discuss the details...

Count me in.
I'm in Ivanhoe and the factor stopping me from joining other clubs has been distance.

Well that's a quorum plus one...
http://youtu.be/-ZxHAZChcYU

carniebrew said:
I have been meaning to post the same question for some time now, but haven't gotten around to it. At their last craft beer tasting I spoke with the manager of Carwyn Cellars (Ben) in Thornbury, he's a keen homebrewer too and wants in. I think there's a bit of a gap in this area, with Worthogs in the outer North East, and the Westgate guys over the bridge.

A few of the guys from the recent bulk buy at Plasdene seemed keen too, so it looks like we should give it a go. It'd be great to get someone who's been involved in a brew club previously to jump on board and help out , 'coz I've never been part of a brew club before so I'm not sure how they're normally put together, and what they get up to?

Kevin I'll send you a PM, maybe we could get together over a beer and discuss the details...
Westgate Brewers are located in West Footscray, not over the bridge.

Sorry 'bout that BnT. Isn't it on the West side of the Maribyrnong though? So you have to go over "a" bridge....

I am pretty sure I have read a similar thread on here in the past. Might be worth the search.
I would definitely be interested in checking it out if/when one starts up.

Tim.

carniebrew said:
Sorry 'bout that BnT. Isn't it on the West side of the Maribyrnong though? So you have to go over "a" bridge....
yes i guess that is technically correct ;)

I'm moving back to Brisbane mid January, but if something happens before then I'm in.
Livin' Thornbury.

Brunswick, Northcote and Thornbury and Collingwood really do seem to be a bit of a power area when it comes to homebrewing. (I mean, a couple of months ago I was standing on the corner of Alexandra Parade and Brunswick St waiting for the tram when a dude comes by on his bike pulling a *freezer* of his craft beer and offers me a taste! Beer every way you look!) So I reckon this idea has got to be a goer. (And pleased there's a rep from the Rez - hey, that's almost out in civilisation - Lalor way!)

A small suggestion: to extend the word it might be worth contacting people through other online forums, especially facebook. You could try Home Make It -

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-Make-It/216973751692586?fref=ts

Great store which is in Rezza and Clayton (Steve from there pops up in the forums here occasionally, hello! *waves*).

Or you could try the Worthogs (Greensborough homebrewing club)

https://www.facebook.com/worthogs.net?hc_location=stream

Jeez! Turn my back 5 minutes and the world replies!

OK, looks like I'm definitely onto something here. Will PM those who requested when I get a moment. However it looks like there's definitely sufficient interest to justify a provisional meet at (as suggested by Tex083) the Alehouse, or maybe at Temple or something (in fact a whole load of choices I won't bother listing).

OK, it's unlikely this will go anywhere until Christmas is out of the way, but I'm determined to try to move this forward now, so I'll look into coming back with a provisional date soon. Lets see if we can get the T-Shirts printed in time to send a club delegation to ANHC, eh?

Thanks to all for the replies!

Kevin

I'm in! Any of the suggested options in Brunswick will do me fine! Lets get this on!

Latest posts

Back