Any interest in a brew club to the north of Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimT said:
"Flasher" Brown ale (Rumor of a bloke in the burg giving creek walkers a peek as his action)

Could that be what is known in Gaelic as 'a wee dram'?
That's more Scots than Gaelic TimT and I would say it's more like 'a wee boaby'. :lol:

Hefescheizen.
Sparkling blight ale.
Crapple cider.

Pot hole pale ale. If you live in or ever visited Moreland you would realise that the roads resemble corrugated iron!
Bell Street doesn't count, I believe it's funded by the federal government.

keep it simple...Northern Brewers or something...or Melbourne And Northern Brewers (MAN Brewers)

Brew club is a great idea. I'm keen assuming the meets are on the weekend. I may not be able to make to meetings in the next few months (wife is due in a week), but I'll be able to at some point. The guy I brew with might be keen as well.

Meets may not be on the weekend. It hasn't been decided as yet.
And just to throw something into the mix; spoke to Marcus from Thunder Road last night. He's apparently spoken to Phil, the owner, and assuming we have our next meeting on the first Tuesday of the month again (4th Feb) then we can use the brewery premises. The assumption is it would be after 7pm and we'd have to clear out around 9 - 9:30ish.

Anyway, now we have lots of suggestions for a name, anyone know how to set up a poll?

Since we're up to eight pages, a new page mightn't go astray anyway - maybe to act as an interim while we decide on the name of the group. (After we decide we can get a sub-forum set up in the 'brew clubs' section under the club name). We've already covered a lot of topics!

And, lest I sound like a broken record, anyone who wants a say on what day the club is held please vote in the 'When Is Good' poll. I'm going to turn it off tonight and somehow sort through the results.

http://whenisgood.net/9m9bfjj

Nineteen votes so far!

I'm assuming some folks will be just happy to go whatever day is, and others will have just missed out on the poll. Please do participate though - even if you just highlight every available time on every available day, that will be fine (you can say 'any day suits' in the comments field).

Given we'll never find a day that suits everyone, I would hope we'd look to mix it up a bit anyway.....have regular club meetings on the day/night voted for, but the odd event at a different time (e.g. on a weekend if everyone votes to meet on a weeknight).

I think the double T is about to post the whenisgood poll results. Thanks again for organising that Tim.
Just got the name to work on now. Inner Northern Suburbs Of Melbourne Nice Interesting Ale Club makes a nice acronym. Not really a serious suggestion tho.

Results
Here are the results for the poll for the best day for a brew day meeting!

21 people participated.

The most popular days and times are Tuesday 4 February, Wednesday 5 February, and Thursday 6 February, all at 7 pm. 12 people can make it for any of those nights. Same for Tuesday 11 February - 12 people can make it, 9 people can't.

Least popular days on the weekend, least popular times 9 pm.

Some folks indicated a preference for the second week, and one participant indicated they preferred any day after the 15th. So in retrospect maybe I should have extended it over the whole month.

Most popular days
I would link to the entire survey but some of the participants mightn't want their results publicised so here's just a quick breakdown of the most popular run of days, Monday 3 February to Friday 7 February, copied from the survey results:

Monday 3 February
6 pm 15 against, 6 in favour
7 pm 13 against, 8 in favour
8 pm 16 against, 5 in favour
9 pm 18 against, 3 in favour

Tuesday 4 February
6 pm 13 against, 8 in favour
7 pm 9 against, 12 in favour
8 pm 13 against, 8 in favour

Wednesday 5 February
8 pm 13 against, 8 in favour

Thursday 6 February
8 pm 12 against, 9 in favour

Friday 7 February
6 pm 16 against, 5 in favour
7 pm 15 against, 6 in favour
8 pm 15 against, 6 in favour
9 pm 17 against, 4 in favour.

(Can give more results - ie, full results - but those are definitely the most popular days and I don't want to type them all out needlessly).

Most participants disliked the idea of a brew club on weekends in general; the only other day/time on the survey that looked like it might be a goer was Tuesday 11 February, 7 pm (9 against, 12 in favour).

Best day?
So what does everyone think? We should probably narrow it down to a few days - I suggest Tuesday 4 February through to Thursday 6 February as they are obviously the most popular days.

We could then vote on the best day if necessary, but we could probably also just achieve consensus here on this forum without making it all formal.

Personally I think Tuesday 4 February is the best day - we've already had one meeting on that day so it will stick better in people's memory. And if we had it on that day we could meet at Thunder Road breweries, and I think it would be awesome to have an ongoing relationship with them. Easy place for people to remember, too.

(Side note: I know that a few people expressed a preference for the second week of the month, and it could be that for some reason other interested folks strongly prefer the last two weeks-and-a-bit of the month - I wanted to try to narrow the survey results down a little bit, not to rule those folks out, so if for any reason there's a strong preference for later in the month do let us know - no day will satisfy everyone, but it's quite possible an easy compromise could be worked out around, say, the 'third Tuesday of the month'.)

UPDATE: Cross posted on the facebook page.

Back