All In One Brewery...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL PJ!

MHB, I am trying to finish up on AHB - still haven't had time to reply to MY thread, (maybe tomorrow - lol) and then you go and post something like that!

As you already know, I'll try anything! From what you've written and for us laymen, are you saying that you mean basically mashing flour in a bag? Would love some more info but if I don't reply tonight, forgive me.

Cheers
PP

Also, wouldn't supplying the above be a PITA for retailers?

I have been following this topic with some interest, now for some slightly off the wall thoughts.

If your bag is fine enough you dont need the husks.
You should be able to use very finely milled grist.

Not including the husks removes the risk of tannin extraction (whether you are a squeezer or not)
Very fine grist will increase the extract efficiency

PP
I will donate 1 of finely milled sifted grist if you want to test the theory.

MHB

I like your out of the box thinking here MHB.

This experiment would be testing the assumption that husks don't contribute to the flavour profile of the beer.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

sjc just sent me a very interesting link re lipids. Seems that it is not a problem with BIAB. The articel is worth a read for those doing the electric full volume brewing though as it talks about some problems with over-recirculating the wort. This section starts about half way down the page. Here's the link Lipids, Recirculating etc

Also, thanks a million to you guys for your posts to the BIAB guide thread! Bloody good of you and I see it has now been pinned - was that you Tim?. Can't wait to see what Adamt comes up with tonight!

Cheers
PP

...I see it has now been pinned - was that you Tim?
Yup. :D Doc replied to my PM this morning saying he'd pinned it. I told you we still cared! :p
(haven't had a chance to play with the spreadsheet yet. hopefully have some free time tomorrow.

Tim.

Hi all,

My second All in One brew (also second AG) went down yesterday.

Everything went well again. Only (if you can call it only) 70% efficiency though this time. That was to be expected though as it was AndrewQLD's (many thanks mate) 'Coopers Pale Ale clone' using mainly Pils malt. Lighter style - lower efficiency, I believe that can be common.

Besides that, another enjoyable morning was had brewing with this method. So simple and so enjoyable. To make the day even better I found time to keg up my first All in One attempt during the boil which tasted delicious going into the keg and will hopefully sneak a carbonated taste test tonight. The results are coming wobbly!

Cheers for now,

JS

Hi JS,
70% efficiency must really suck :blink: I know some brewers would love to get that high :lol: . Anyway good effort again hope the CPA is good, I have one in the fermenter as we speak.

Cheers
Andrew

Where did all that time go? First taste test tonight - this is exciitng stuff! Can't wait to hear the results.

I got the same efficiency on the pale grain as well (71 I think) as compared to 81 on the black beer. Mind you, with one of the recent threads here I am now confused on efficiency mainly because I still haven't read AndrewQLD's 4 page PM on it as yet - lol! Will probably have a crack at it tonight. Cheers Andrew. Just racking my second one of your pilsners now ;)

Phrak: Thanks mate. And even more thanks to you and Adam for your exquisite spreadsheet work.

James, that's enough carbonating. Go and taste the beer NOW!

Kegged my Boddingtons clone this arvo :beerbang:

I put a little glass of it in the fridge and tasted once cold.

Very light on body (and alcohol by the taste of it). Yeah, it's supposed to be, but this seemed a lot lighter than the genuine article.

Colour was pretty much on the money, which is good.

Figure my efficiency was down due to having too tight a grain/bag fit...working on a better method for next time.

Good news is the taste, although not right, has no offensive or conflicting qualities whatsoever so even if it turns out super-light I can save it for those hot summer days coming up :chug:

PZ.

Finger, you've done a great job mate. It's very helpful when brewers post what things they could have improved on. I agree that the tight packed bag would be a little bit of a prob.

Please post your taste tests back here and to the BIAB thread as/if you notice any differences in flavour. I'm sure James and all the others would appreciate any feedback.

Nothing wrong with a light beer mate. I'm actually quite wrapped at the time of writing as I've just poured myself that Kilcenny clone. I didn't realise until now that it's only 3% - perfect! It's actually a top beer for those who are used to mainstream on tap beers but it has a hundredfold more of everything.

I first tasted it on Sunday before arriving at Ross's and I found it to be an easy drinking beer but had a million distractions on this first taste. Then I got to Ross's where everyone had been drinking beers, many of which were at high bitterness and alcohol levels, for several hours. I poured the guys a beer and received little comment....

Screwtop, one of the few that was driving, had some very good comments though. I was a bit mystified at the lack of feedback until I had a few of the beers that they had been drinking. I went back to the Kilkenny and couldn't taste it at all lol!

Most of these guys love full-flavoured and usually very bitter beers. They all, from what I gathered, loved both the mid-strength and full-strength BIAB black beers (Schwartz). As Jye said after tasting the BIAB Schwartz, "Well there's obviously nothing wrong with the brewing method, it's just the recipe (meaning the Kilcenny)."

Personally, I'm absolutely wrapped now in this Kilcenny clone. This is a lovely 3% beer that was hammered brewing-wise. It has full-body, very low bitterness level and a great amount of complexity. I'll test it out on my beer-swilling neighbours over the next week and let you know what they think as well. I don't really care but it would be nice to have an easy brew that both the nieghbours and I enjoy. I'll be telling them it's 5% though as these are the sort of guys that 'know,' a beer is crap if it's 3%.

Sorry about the long post but you're used to it by now and beer reviews are always best done live ;)

Yum!

Finger...blah, blah...Sorry about the long post but you're used to it by now and beer reviews are always best done live ;)

Yum!

Sorry about the edited quote Pat...couldn't help myself :D

I'll post for sure when drinking and top marks to you and everyone else involved in this/these threads, as without you guys I'd be years off AG (damn, that there 50L vessel looks like it'd make a fine boiler...oh no...now I'm f*cked :lol: )!
:beer:

PZ.

The results are in on the first taste of the 'All in one' brew...

It was delicious! Far and away the best beer that I have brewed. I was having an attempt at a clone recipe for the James Squire Golden Ale, a few tweaks on ColinW's recipe (thanks mate!), and it was remarkably close to the mark. Much, much closer than I had ever gotten when trying to clone using partial recipes. I am very chuffed! No bad flavours, no lack of maltiness or body, just straight up an awesome beer!

Now I know that this method is not only very enjoyable to brew with but also produces incredibly tasty results. :beer:

Cheers all for the support in getting this idea off the ground, especially thanks to Pat as without his interest and encouragement the thread would never have taken off. Sincere thanks mate.

Oh and if there's any brewers reading this that are aspiring to get into All Grain brewing, get stuck into it guys! This method can be done easily on the cheap, with minimal equipment, minimal space and produce fantastic results. It's not all as daunting as it sounds, give it a go. If anyone needs help or advice on getting started just flick me a PM, Im happy to help.

Cheers for now, :beerbang:

JS

Sixteen days from pitching and drinking well. James, you've got to be bloody happy with that! Good on you mate. And, thanks as well - looks like we both scored a nice way of brewing from your thread.

So who's up next? Wobbly, Finger, Poppa? I can't remember.

Really pleased to hear the result James. Don't drink it all at once :beer:

The plan was to let mine settle in the keg for a week before chilling, but as it came out of the fermenter crystal clear I'll probably just put it in the fridge tonight...start drinking on the weekend :chug:

PZ.

Tasted mine after a week in the bottle.

Bloody great. Thanks again Pat.

Now what am I going to do with all this K&K stuff I have bottled?

PP, I found all brewers very polite about each others beers at Ross's Fathers Day bash (wee stu meet and greet). If you were damned by faint praise it must have only been due to the taste buds of the brewers being numbed by Jye's APA.

I remember you taking me out to the outdoors fridge later in the evening, like a dope dealer ushering me into a dark alley for a hit, serving me up some schwartzbeer, looking me straight in the eye and saying "whattayathinkofthat eh young fella?"

It was a bloody nice beer with some great malt flavour. fantastic.

Another clear beer - cool! Look forward to the taste test Finger - tonight maybe?

Congratulations Zizzle on the first bottled BIAB :beer:

Coogee - Yeah I couldn't taste that Kilcenny after those other beers but I the Scwhartz still tasted as good as ever. I've got the flu so haven't posted a taste test on the Kilcenny to the BIAB thread yet. Want my neighbours and a few others to have a taste as well first. I love it though.

I also might link the beers that James and Wobbly have done with the electric in the BIAB thread if Phrak tells me how. If they worked for the electric, they should work for the bag as well and vice versa. Should increase our testing phase a bit quicker.

All the best,
Pat

Most of these guys love full-flavoured and usually very bitter beers. They all, from what I gathered, loved both the mid-strength and full-strength BIAB black beers (Schwartz). As Jye said after tasting the BIAB Schwartz, "Well there's obviously nothing wrong with the brewing method, it's just the recipe (meaning the Kilcenny)."

PP, I found all brewers very polite about each others beers at Ross's Fathers Day bash (wee stu meet and greet). If you were damned by faint praise it must have only been due to the taste buds of the brewers being numbed by Jye's APA.

Yep.... needs more hops :D

As requested by Pat, this post will be mirrored in both appropriate threads :)

My BIAB Boddingtons clone copped the taste test this arvo...

Yep, efficiency was obviously down (due the using a small bag), but all seems good.

I'm very happy with the method and its results...next one with a correctly sized bag should make a great beer!

Thanks to all those involved...my first AG may be a light one, but still quite drinkable.

Recipe seems good and not at fault when it comes to the watery beer...I blame the small bag.........don't be put off by my results people...this method will make good beer :super:

PZ.

Will do a BIAB for you Jye at 175 IBUs - something you'll be able to swill down after any of your beers - lol.

Good on you Finger. Glad to hear that the beer tastes great even though it's turned out light. Won't write any more now - too crook from the flu but great to hear your feedback mate.

Cheers,
Pat

P.S. Didn't mean that anyone doing a taste test should post their results to both threads but who cares - lol! I was just going to mirror any electric posts to the BIAB thread now that Phrak has showed me how ;) so that people might be able to have a wider choice of recipes.

Back