All In One Brewery...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be completely off topic and I may be drunk, but the second picture looks like a deal and the third picture looks like a franger, lol.

Giving it a good squeeze/wringing out after the dodgy sparge:

SQEEZE OR NOT TO SQEEZE>>>>>
Been Told not sqeeze...........
ANYONE....
Pj

I've heard heavy squeezing extracts tannins and other crap. Has the same effect as using too hot sparge water.

Hmm, sounds like a worry...guess I'll see what happens......always give the squeeze when steeping for kits and never had a problem there.

Time will tell I suppose, but for now mine's just hit the fermenter:
started.JPG

PZ.

On second thought, it sounds like a bunch of crap to me...steeping, mashing...giving a squeeze just gets the rest out, in fact I think I recall How To Brew suggesting doing it, although maybe I'm just drunk now :D

PZ.

Sqeeze it. From what I've been told you won't extract tannins.
The way I understand it, only too much sparging will extract the extra tannins. And since we're not sparging at all, we don't have that worry.

Squeeze it, you know you want to! :D

Yeah, that's what I reckon Phrak!

OK, have finally written A Guide to All-Grain Brewing in a Bag Hope all those that read it manage to stay awake.

If anyone's brewing a beer style by BIAB that is not listed in that thread could they please post it there and I'll move the details up to Post #2.

Haven't written any credits there as yet (might wait until there are actually some replies first - lol!) but thanks again to all those who have contributed so much here in James' thread.

Brewed a Kilcenny clone last Thursday which I'm going to keg next weekend (10 days from pitching). Will let you know if it ends up tasting OK in such a short time. The full and mid-strenght Schwartz's are still tasting excellent.

Cheers
PP

Jeebus, Pat. That's a mammoth effort!

It'll take me a bit to get through that, but bloody well done!

You can never have too much info for a Guide/FAQ :)

Tim.

Thanks Tim! Its a little embarrassing posting a guide like that when you've only done about 15 AG's and so presumptuous as to reserve the first 3 posts of the thread you start!

I started the project after being asked by 4 (5?) people, each unknown to the other, to write some sort of guide. This lead me to believe that doing so would have some value for those stepping up to all-grain. The feedback I received prior to posting it reinforced this belief. Now though.

Im currently very worried it may have been a colossal waste of time as there has been no feedback to the actual thread apart from PM's/emails and Fingerlickin's recipe (good on ya mate). Without any feedback to the actual thread, it will pretty much die, no newbees will get to see it and, once again, Ill have taken one for the team!

Since posting the guide, the private response has all been enthusiastic so I think it would be a shame to see it die. To avoid this I'm hoping that once anyone from here has had a glance at the BIAB thread, instead of a PM or email, maybe they can post any comments, good or bad, to the actual thread and give it a little kick-start. Then again, if it dies, it dies...

Personally, I thought the fact that I wrote the entire guide with only about two exclamation marks would be worthy of commentLOL!!!

Thanks again,
Pat ;)

Great work Pat, why don't you ask the Mods if the guide can be pinned in the "important topic" section this will leave it permanently displayed and it won't get lost.

Top effort.

Cheers
Andrew

Sqeeze it. From what I've been told you won't extract tannins.
The way I understand it, only too much sparging will extract the extra tannins. And since we're not sparging at all, we don't have that worry.

Squeeze it, you know you want to! :D
Squeezing is fine, that's how a mash filter press works. We do a no sparge mash and the filter press wrings it out to about 20% moisture left in the spent grain.

Cheers, Andrew.

Can't believe this Fingerlickin'! Just realised that even though I've got this thread on topic reply notification I still totally missed the fact that you had done a complete bag brew! Sorry about that mate - whoops! Top pics by the way.

Will look forward to hearing the results in what must be about 2 weeks? I know that your original gravity reading went astray but as with Zizzle, if you get a final gravity, we might be able to work backwards to learn a little more.

And, this was your first AG wasn't it? If so, :beer:

Donya,
Pat

why don't you ask the Mods if the guide can be pinned in the "important topic" section

I'm too scared to Andrew - think I've been way too audacious as it is!* But heaps of thanks to you. Also, can't wait to taste those 2 pils of yours I've brewed. I know I should wait another 6 weeks but you know I'm going to sneak one of them into the keg early ;) I also know that people like you inspire pioneers like...

Fingerlickin! People like you, like the old ad says, 'ought to be congratulated!'

Doing your first AG, on a stove, in a bag and a half batch at that, to me, shows a real desire to produce a great beer. I reckon that your example along with Poppa Joe's, Zizzle's and (sure there were 1 or 2 others doing half batches etc?) will certainly help a few others to brew a beer they are wrapped in.

:beerbang: Pat

*Just had a thought. If anyone does think the BIAB guide should be pinned, send Bigd a PM instead of me! Bigd did say he was looking forward to having a read. Sorry Bigd - lol!

Pat, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of responses in the thread. I deliberately didn't post there because I wanted to keep the thread clean. I think the majority of AHBers would think along the same lines.

Judging purely by the replies and views here and the 250 odd views and 60 odd downloads of your booklet, I'd say that people like what they see.

I, for example, printed out your guide to read on the bus yesterday. I found the guide informative yet concise enough to read and comprehend. I felt there was the perfect balance of detail and length for a brewer of any skill to understand the process. I know it's still work-in-progress, and I am hoping to get some time free to tweak-up your excel spreadsheet a bit :D

I have planned this method for my first AG as my very next brew... I've got all the equipment (bar a cutom-built bag - thinking pillow case) and a recipe of a JS Golden Ale clone (thanks ColinW, et all) ready to crack my AG cherry... I just need some bottles free to use after fermentation!

So mate, don't stress about it. I'll send a msg to one of the Mods to try and have the topic pinned.

Keep your chin up! :chug:
Tim.

PP

Not to worry

I sort information by starting a thread on "recirculating wort" a while back. There have been something like 59 views but not a "dicky bird" responce so I guess I must have askjed "the stupid question"

Cheers and chin up

Wobbly

Was about to retire from AHB tonight (busy sending frivolous PM's to Bindi and others - we're a bit stupid up here but you probably haven't noticed!) and then saw your post.

Phrak, you're a champion! Go the pillow case - I'm sure no one has done this before so you have to do it! And, if you can automate that time thing in the spreadsheets - how good would that be! (I'm actually desperate for someone to do this!)

As for keeping the thread clean - bugger that! On AHB a non-responded to thread just dies even if it is pinned!

If you have to, even just post a joke to the thread! Like...

I'm a Fairy.
My name is Nuff.
Fairy Nuff!

:) PP

I have been following this topic with some interest, now for some slightly off the wall thoughts.

If your bag is fine enough you dont need the husks.
You should be able to use very finely milled grist.

Not including the husks removes the risk of tannin extraction (whether you are a squeezer or not)
Very fine grist will increase the extract efficiency

PP
I will donate 1 of finely milled sifted grist if you want to test the theory.

MHB

Back