All In One Brewery...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably better places I could have posted this question??? ...its sort of related...

My BIAB Amarillo APA looks to have "finished" at about 1.022 - 1.023 ...its been steady for three days. I had hoped it would have kicked on when I racked it ...

I've included a cut and paste from beersmith of my grains and gravity results to date. Obviously I've got concerns about the high FG. I was aiming for around 1.012

I full mashed for 90mins @ 67C and no-chilled until pitching yeast at 20C.
Primary ferment was 8days at 18C (good krausen and airlock activity for 4-5days)

Beer tastes good out of fermenter (not sweet) so I'm happy to go ahead and keg it. What I'd like is some advice on whether to leave it and see if the gravity drops further, pitch new yeast, or keg and drink?

What are your thoughts? Anyone?

Grain Bill

2.50 kg JW Traditional Ale (5.5 SRM)
2.00 kg JW Export Pils (3.0 SRM)
0.50 kg Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM)
0.10 kg Carafoam (2.0 SRM)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.6 %
Est Color: 10.6 SRM

Does look a bit high, jimmy. :unsure: Recipe doesn't look like it should finish anything like that high, and mash temp looks standard. What yeast did you use?

I would rouse the yeast back into suspension by rocking the fermenter back and forth and in a circular motion. It's not uncommon for highly flocculating yeasts to clump and fall to the bottom of the fermenter slowing or even stopping fermentation completly.

One of my favourite yeasts, WLP007 Dry English Ale is very prone to this and a good rousing usually gets it back up and running.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks for the responses ...

Stuster, of course, I should have mentioned I used Safale US-56.

Andrew, because I've racked already I don't think there will be enough yeast in suspension to rouse and fire up?

...I' ll give it it a go anyway. Thanks again!

Thanks for the responses ...

Stuster, of course, I should have mentioned I used Safale US-56.

Andrew, because I've racked already I don't think there will be enough yeast in suspension to rouse and fire up?

...I' ll give it it a go anyway. Thanks again!

BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE ... was to check my refractometer readings against my old hydrometer.

I think I need a lesson in reading refractometers because my FG dropped 12 points when I measured a sample with the hydrometer. :super:

...I rechecked the result using another old hydrometer and got the same 1.010 reading!!!! Wahoo!!!!!

I am now about to keg my first ever BIAB ...and then I will research refractometers and how to use them properly??? :ph34r:

God knows what my "true" readings were for starting gravity and gravity into boiler etc ...I thought the instructions said to simply multiply the refrac reading by 4 ...so my refrac reads 5.7 which I multiply to get 22.8 which I thought translated to 1.023 ?? Where did I stuff up?

Top post Jimmy.

I saw your problem at 3 o'clock this morning and wanted to reply immediately but ran out of time. I also wanted to check your posts first to see if you actually had a refractometer.

I also had 3 'imaginary' stuck ferments with my refractometer - lol! To me it was inexplicable. What I did was actually kegged anyway because my wort had no sweet taste at all. Common sense told me it was done.

I've also been unable to find an informative post on how to use your refractometer with fermenting or fermented beer. I'll ask Rossco if he can dig something up.

Cheers
Pat

I also had 3 'imaginary' stuck ferments with my refractometer - lol! To me it was inexplicable. What I did was actually kegged anyway because my wort had no sweet taste at all. Common sense told me it was done.

Mate, it got to a stage where I was taking samples of brews I currently have on tap, leaving them go warm and flat ...just to test their gravity with the refractometer :blink:

...after three unchanged readings from three different beers I nearly came to the conclusion that all my brews were "underdone" and sweet :D

It wasn't till I started "testing" some commercial beer (Pilsner Urquell -hic- to be exact) and found the refrac unchanged, that I guessed something might be up :lol:

Never been so glad to have stuffed up!!

My BIAB attempt was botched (and well documented in either this or the other thread) due to a bag that was from the start quite obviously too small, but I had to try it anyway.

The equipment has now been updated at a cost of under $10.

Tonight would have been a great chance to brew up and take some pics of it all in action, but alas all my fermenters are in use…and I only have $14 in the bank until Thursday :lol:

Well, here are some self-explanatory pics (in no particular order) of the gear anyway:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Oh, and what would a kettle be without……beerstone! :super:

Beerstone_.JPG

PZ.

Finger, you have done a superb job there. Bloody stunning mate :beer:

Thats a top job Finger! Very swish mate! Good to see another person brewing this way.

Only one note though, as a 'bucket in urn' brewer myself, I advise you to think carefully about a lifting method for this setup. The mash pot will become VERY heavy and awkward to remove. Not good for the back! However a simple pulley system of sorts will work a treat.

Good luck.

JS

Hi guys,

As requested by PistolPatch via email here's a quick update on how my "All in one" brews have been drinking....

1st brew - clone recipe for JS Golden Ale.

Keg emptied! This was a sensational drop indeed! Much better than the commercial version. In every way possible this was an outstanding beer, made me extremely proud to have brewed it!

2nd brew - couldn't help it... same recipe but with small difference (aroma hops changed from dry hopped to flame out addition)

Keg drinking very well at the moment. Very similar to the first brew only it took less time for the greeness to disapear due to not dry hopping.

3rd brew - AndrewQLD's clone recipe for Coopers Pale Ale

Bottled this 4 weeks ago and cracked the first bottle last night. Another big success! Very clean, perfectly clear brew. Slightly more esters than the Coopers version despite using a reculture of their yeast but still very similar. This perhaps needs some more time in the bottle to condition and it'll be perfect for the upcoming hot summer afternoons.

4th brew - Ba$tard Aussie Ale-Lager thingy

Brewed this at the start of the week (primary ferment ATM) and was formulated to get rid the remainder of my NZ Hallertau and Cluster hops. I also tried to make it something interesting that my mates could get into. It's basically all Pils malt with a little wheat, Hallertau at 60mins and flameout and Cluster at 15mins. A good light coloured Ale at around 28IBU's, ready to keg up for the hot months.

Basically I am yet to find a single problem with brewing using this method and I believe I will most likely continue brewing like this for a long time. The results are very very pleasing.

Good luck brewers,

Cheers,

JS

Ok, its time for me to step up and do some full size batches.

My plan is to use a 50L stainless steel vessel and boil using an electric element like this:

imersor_sml.jpg

Now, as I wont be using a burner Ill have trouble keeping the mash temp up.

My thoughts are that if I insulate the vessel Ill be fine and wont have to add any extra heat to keep the mash going.

BUT, what to wrap it with? Obviously the heat from boiling would melt Styrofoamand other ideas?

PZ.

p.s. great work everyone, this method is drawing so many people into AG...even me the "I'll never have the $, time, etc) :super:

Not my idea, I think someone on here put up a photo using blue camping mat. About 10-15 mm thick, suppose to work very well. :D
Just remembered, the bloke who built a conical out of 20lt buckets and a large funnel. His name escapes me.

Ok, its time for me to step up and do some full size batches.

My plan is to use a 50L stainless steel vessel and boil using an electric element like this:

imersor_sml.jpg

Now, as I wont be using a burner Ill have trouble keeping the mash temp up.
My thoughts are that if I insulate the vessel Ill be fine and wont have to add any extra heat to keep the mash going.
BUT, what to wrap it with? Obviously the heat from boiling would melt Styrofoamand other ideas?
PZ.
p.s. great work everyone, this method is drawing so many people into AG...even me the "I'll never have the $, time, etc) :super:

What's wrong with maintaining the temp of your mash with your hand held element? Sure a bit of insulation wont go astray but couldn't you just pull the grain bag asside and stick in your stick of power with a bit of stirring. I do this every brew (but I do use a conventional mash tun, but I can't see your set up having much of a problem). Am I missing something?

Cheers,, Justin

Back