• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks mate. Be better if it was 65. Could use them for commercial 49.5 Lt kegs. ;)

20171123_224920.jpg

Might want to use it on some half full kegs.

Many of these induction plates don't start heating as soon as power is supplied though. You need to manually set the power level. An stc-1000 on its own might not do the job

So, just a word of warning if it ever comes up again....

Stay away from "Unisurf" laptops from Aldi, like the one sold for $249 last Wednesday. Horrid build quality, non-existent quality control, crap support. The only redeeming feature is the ability to get a refund from the Aldi store.

Many of these induction plates don't start heating as soon as power is supplied though. You need to manually set the power level. An stc-1000 on its own might not do the job
Interesting. I haven't used one but I have a friend who uses one in this way (not sure where he got the plate from). So there is some backoff between power and heating, like cheap urns?

Interesting. I haven't used one but I have a friend who uses one in this way (not sure where he got the plate from). So there is some backoff between power and heating, like cheap urns?
The one I have is from Kogan, not Aldi, but I assume the same applies - some units don't start heating as soon as they're powered on. Mine doesn't do anything until a power level is manually set and optionally a time is entered so it turns off automatically when time's up

Aldi whitegoods are usually pretty good. I bought a chest freezer about 4 years ago, still purring along nicely. I think a few forumites have adapted them for keezers although the particular model would require a big collar.

for what can you use the plate ?
I bought the Aldi one last time around. I use it in the garage/brewery for making starter wort, heating sparge water. I also have a pressure cooker i use on it for sterilising stuff. It keeps extra brewing activities out of the kitchen.

I bought the Aldi one last time around. I use it in the garage/brewery for making starter wort, heating sparge water. I also have a pressure cooker i use on it for sterilising stuff. It keeps extra brewing activities out of the kitchen.
Exactly. Saves running backwards and forwards if doing a cereal mash, invert sugar, decoction etc. Personally I use a butane camping stove but an induction job would be more convenient.

Yep a big electric hot plate has allowed me to move activities to the garage instead of the kitchen.

Edit: On this topic - I can do full brew day with a couple jerry cans filled with water in the garage (Strike, mash, sparge, boil) on a single hot plate.

The only thing I can't do down there is cool the wort (I don't have a tap in the garage with running water) - so I usually lug the hot boiled wort up to the laundry. I suspect the best answer for this is to move to no chill?

Last edited:
Exactly. Saves running backwards and forwards if doing a cereal mash, invert sugar, decoction etc. Personally I use a butane camping stove but an induction job would be more convenient.

Do you have one that connects to a bottle or uses canisters?

I’ve been looking at butane stoves as opposed to the induction stoves purely as I boil starter wort directly in the flask. Currently do it in the kitchen but would prefer to relocate to the garage to avoid complaints.

I’m curious as to how well the canister ones work as they would be better space wise.

Back