• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone used the induction hot plate? Was thinking of getting one for wort caramelising.

Also is this the same pressure cooker people use for sterilising their test tubes for yeast?

Yes I have the pressure cooker and hotplate
hotplate is great in the shed to boil starters etc
pressure cooker will accommodate 4 x half pint (450ml) Ball jars nicely

I just started using the one I got last year :rolleyes: to make starters in the garage. If I had running hot and cold water the brewery would be complete. If you turn the induction cooker up high you can caramalise wort in about 1.3 seconds. It only need about 900w to boil 2 ltrs of starter.
I turned it up high to boil the water quick. I added dry LME and hey presto instant red ale wort. Luckily I was using it in a red IPA.

Edit: Im gonna get the pressure cooker to go with it.

If you turn the induction cooker up high you can caramalise wort in about 1.3 seconds.

Edit: Im gonna get the pressure cooker to go with it.

Thats the plan! Phasing out of having so many malts on hand and wanna really utilise caramelised wort because I love what it adds even to a single malt beer.

I use an 1800w induction cookplate (from BigW IIRC) and it needs help to get a 30 litre boil rolling properly. I'd say the 2100W Aldi one would do 25 litres adequately.

Any idea what batch size you could boil on the induction cooker?

I believe the most powerful hot plate on my kitchen's ceramic stove top is about 2000W. An induction cook top that I own (but not the Aldi one) is exactly 2000W. Anyway, the performance of the two cook tops is virtually identical.

I've used both to boil ~18L. I reckon it'd struggle with much more than that.

With the induction cooker can one of these be run for an extended period or could it over heat.

Here it is. Used it this afternoon to caramelise some wort on a mild to add some complexity. It reached a boil in about 5 minutes. I boiled 1.75L down to 200ml for an 11L batch.
IMG_2099.JPG

This was already cubed so I took it from the cube before adding back to the main batch but the plan on brew days is to brew as usual and while its coming up to the boil to caramelise a few litres of wort to add back in.

EDIT
Actually really hand for no chill as I use 11L cubes a 55L batch gives me 5 x 11L so there is a fair bit of room for experimentation. e.g. pitch one as per normal then the next one caramelise some wort, next one add some more hops.

I got the pressure cooker, thought about the hot plate and left it. But f-it I think I'll go back as this is perfect for side decoction mashes....!

Also forgot to get the gelatine....

I got the pressure cooker, thought about the hot plate and left it. But f-it I think I'll go back as this is perfect for side decoction mashes....!

Also forgot to get the gelatine....
The hot plate is a worthy addition, the gelatine however... do you know what that stuff is made from? No good for Mr Midnight Brew

All good I'm a firm believer in temperature and time, so it won't be going near my brews. Panna cotta however...

Presumably not Halal then.

Edit
I'm waiting for a gelatine made from PETA members.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back