• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks HD. However I'll also be using it for brewing temperatures and the odd roast. If I get into invert in a big way I'll certainly look at the jam thermometer though, looks the goods.

Aldi offering is a great looking solid unit with brushed SS case and nice LED blue back light when you turn it on for a few seconds.
Compared to my other $12 thermometers from Target and Kitchen shop:

Aldi thermometer.jpg

They had mountains of them, as well as the other two items. I reckon people could be stockpotted out as they tend to get more popular during the Winter.

I had one of the brush steel looking ones, it was great except don't use it to make candy sugar like i did, even though it says it is ok upto 200c, mine started sharting itself once it got up over 120, and was never the same.
also the display gets moisture in it quite easily if you hold it in a steamy environment for too long. ie in ur mash or kettle.

that said, they are awesome for the price and I'll be grabbing another couple of them.

Yeah agreed, they don't last long but they are quick response. I will give it a miss this time and get a visa special from dx.com

scottc1178 said:
also the display gets moisture in it quite easily if you hold it in a steamy environment for too long. ie in ur mash or kettle.
+1 i had one with a glass dial supposedly went to 200C, left it in the pot with lid on supported by a bull clip while heating to mash temp, glass popped out and had bubbles in it, had to throw it out. Got a full glass candy/deep fry one on its way!

Grabbed one yesterday.
Looks great :D , except one of the batteries had gone dodgy :huh: . So i'll need to pop in & get a replacement, but no biggie.
I really needed a quick-response thermometer, so thanks for the heads-up, Bribie G! :super:

Sets of four glasses, 530ml so enough for half a litre plus a head. Not fine bohemian crystal by any means, but I reckon APAs would go well in these, especially if the glasses pre chilled.

Five bucks per set.

Aldi glass tumblers.jpg

Bribie G said:
Sets of four glasses, 530ml so enough for half a litre plus a head. Not fine bohemian crystal by any means, but I reckon APAs would go well in these, especially if the glasses pre chilled.

Five bucks per set.

Aldi glass tumblers.jpg
Oh and bribie you forgot to mention that they are ribbed... For her pleasure... :)

Toormina Aldi had the 44L Willow Esky set with a 5L drink container and some ice bricks marked down to $30 (I think...)
Could make a nice cheap mash tun
Mrs sp0rk is grabbing me one today :)
She doesn't know I'm claiming it for brewing, however...

I got home to find there is no tap in the Esky
Looks like I'll either be drilling through it, or swapping it for our 48L Bunnings Ice chest

I use my Aldi Esky as a BIAB device when I do a double batch, just line with voile, do mash, hoist bag then jug the wort into the kettle, or at least jug half of it then pour the rest. Works a treat.

I'm using mine as part of a 3V setup and intend on recirculating, so i'll probably have to drill it

Starting Saturday the 8th, 20m of 12mm diameter (OD? ID? catalogue doesn't say) food grade PVC hose for $25.

Engibeer said:
Starting Saturday the 8th, 20m of 12mm diameter (OD? ID? catalogue doesn't say) food grade PVC hose for $25.
PVC hose has no place in a brewery.

edit:
Ahh drinking water hose. Then it's a good buy for supply water and it's a great price. Don't let any pvc hose touch the hot side.

I recently realised my hot side hose was PVC (as well as valve and fittings being brass with lead!). Valve fittings sorted. Where is a good place with silicon tube that i could drive to in Melbourne?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
I recently realised my hot side hose was PVC (as well as valve and fittings being brass with lead!). Valve fittings sorted. Where is a good place with silicon tube that i could drive to in Melbourne?
Pretty sure Grain and Grape in the west, or Keg King in the east could help you out

Latest posts

Back