• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Aldi specials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just cracked the Spaten one... reminds me of being in Munich 2 years ago for Oktoberfest...delicious!!!!!

Anyone cracked the 5L paulaner keg? I've got one chillin` for this weekend. Do you tap just one (that is more convenient for pouring) or both of the taps?!

I can't get to Newcastle till Wednesday, hope there's still some left :unsure:

has anyone heard when/if they'll have Barkeepers Friend back on the shelves?

The little kegs pour foam. Fucked way to package beer. Instructions are in german, but i think i have it right, turn the breather and open the tap.

punkin said:
The little kegs pour foam. Fucked way to package beer. Instructions are in german, but i think i have it right, turn the breather and open the tap.
Found this

Do you think once tapped that these kegs lose carbonation? Or would they be under pressure in a bladder (hence the breather) and thus should keep indefinitely if kept cold?

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to Newkie this morning and the only beers that were left were the four pack of Oktoberfest 500ml assorted and the 5 stiegl weiss plus a glass. Quite pleased as I'm not a huge wheat fan and the keg wasn't an issue. Plus one of the assorted was a Paulaner anyway so I can still have a glass.

The beers all worked out around $5 a longneck and a glass chucked in. The four assorted are all around the 6% mark, couple in the freezer right now, about to sample. mmmmmmmm
The Stiegl is obviously a filtered Kristalweiss that I don't mind at all, don't like the Berliner styles, taste like something I'd tip out unfortunately. :lol:

To my taste the range of German Pils 4.8% generally on offer, the Henninger Oettinger, etc are getting a bit boring to my taste, I have always gone for the stronger more characteristic brews so looking forward to a tasty session.

aldi oktoberfest.jpg

I also note that the Aldi wine casks are only around $8 for four litres, hope for us derros yet :unsure:

I bought one of these Oktoberfest packs from woolies 2 years ago, bloody terrific beers.
The paulaner is a ripper.
Great value pack.
My pack had a lowenbrau not hofbrau...
Cracked my bottle of Storm Brewing 'Summer Dayze'......oh **** thats terrible..waste of however much I spent on it.
The bottle is now full of next winters stout.. should be just enough time for it to settle nicely before then.

Whoever brewed Summer Dayze should spend a couple of weeks with the Spanish Inquisition.

I grabbed the last of those Oktoberfest beer packs at my local Aldi the other day. All four beers are excellent. I was a torn between the Hofbräu and the Hacker-Pschorr. I would need to drink more to be sure.

Drank the Spaten and Paulaner last night, the Spaten is a tad more spicy - glorious stuff. Can't wait to get into the other two.

What's the stiegl like? that's the only one I didn't buy, thinking I should go back and get that.... and sauerkraut!

local aldi got some more paulaner in. marvellous example of style (which is why its listed in the BJCP examples). lovely clean ferment with good strong malt upfront. not as malty an octoberfest as ive had but thats not an issue. its a great beer. get some if you can.

youl see why the style is made for long drinking and eating sessions. it big enough to pair against food but light enough not to make you feel bloated. wont dull your palate and you can just imagine drinking steins of it all night! Im having mine with some aldi liverwurst. its pretty good too. match made in heaven.

I grabbed one of the oktoberfest packs. Had three of them so far the spaten is my fave. Anyone got a clone recipe?

On special tomorrow:

10.5L heavy duty stockpot - riveted handles, heavy base, glass lid. My workhorse in the brauhaus, I have two: $20

2 ring electric standalone cooktop - total 2400w - good for all your heating jobs without having to go into the kitchen, the big ring would be fine for the 10.5L stockpot but would probably struggle with a Big W mini biab one. $38

Electric probe stick thermometer, looks good quality $10

$10 stick thermo that does -45 to +200*c. Very handy for checking meat in a smoker

I'll grab one tomorrow, been looking for a high temperature one for doing invert sugaz.

Back